Who to blame if Goff sucks this season

Okay so…

Kupp, Woods, 2nd year V Jefferson, Akers and Henderson, Higbee…

That is what was supposed to be there…. That is also what Goff had the year prior

It was trying to add DJax, drafting tutu in rd 2, trading a 4th for Michel, and signing OBJ were all additions to what Goff had.

In 2018 when Kupp was lost after week 8, they didn’t go get Julio to make sure he had a full compliment of weapons.

2 Likes

Correct. However people aren’t down on Goff for strictly 2018 from week 8 and on. The whole offense underperformed his last couple years there, I’ll agree with that. But we can’t pretend like Stafford was put into this new system with all these new weapons at his disposal, because that just isn’t true.

I’ll add that while Kupp and Van both seemed to take a step forward, how much of that was Stafford under center? Maybe not 100% of the reason, but a reason for improvement nonetheless.

4 Likes

I don’t think we are modeling any team. I think they are building what they think will win them games philosophically and strategically.
I think you are right…if the rest of the team stays healthy, we win 10 (maybe more) games. IMO–> not a barometer as to wether we can beat Josh Allen/Mahoomes/Stafford/Rodgers/SF defense, etc.

This is exactly what I mean. If goff wins 10, which I think he does…it’s a massive QB Limbo. People will question if he can win it all or not, and more fan will side with him than not. Some of these guys will come out of the weeds talking about “Stafford never did this in 12 years,” and all sorts of unrelated b.s. stories like that to seek external validation to support thier opinions.

IMO…we need to keep our eye on the ball. What’s the goal? Super Bowl!
Can Goff run a playoff gauntlet and defeat playoff QBs CONSISTENTLY?

Goff is going to be for real amazing, when our OL and run game are pounding the shit out of average and below average teams.
Some will be impressed.
Not good enough for me.
Again…my only question is …Can Goff consistently run the playoff gauntlet and give us multiple chances for deep playoff runs?
I don’t see him as that guy.
I see him as good enough to be a top 8 rated QB (because he’s on Dan Campbell’s team that was assembled by Brad Holmes and they make him ranked higher than the 15th best QB, which he actually is).

He’s still the 15th best QB, even if his team assists him in being ranked higher…he just looks how he looks while on an amazing team.

I’ve always thought Matt was about 7. Right now, if you go from stats…he’s THIRD…because he has all sorts of help. In Detroit, he was like 12 and even lower at times.

Goff is like 15. His team may help him to look top 5, or so…but he’s still the 15th best in the NFL.

I don’t mind “good guy,” that is a role payer at any other position…I want the QB to be a leader.

I don’t care if we win 13 games and lose the first or 2nd round of the playoffs…means nothing to me.

One Question…Can he run the playoff gauntlet and win titles?

If no…you trade him for a first round pick and move to a dude with a warrior’s spirit. Goff is a good man. I root for him. He has a surfer’s spirt, not a gladiator.

also–> I value Dan more than you do in these comparisons. You are doing player comparisons…the culture here is a HUGE part of all of this. Our guys are going to knock the crap out of other teams and will almost always win the “fist fight” portion of the game.

You’re right, bro. Truth is usually somewhere in the middle. I think Matt was massively responsible (easily the biggest reason, of which there were a few) for the improvement of the Rams.

I want a gunslinger like that leading our team again.

1 Like

Brad holmes , why you need a 30 million qb on a rebuilding team. Even dan said qb has to play better. We are trying to kiss the starting qb always to make them happy , we dont have a proper back qb for years now says a lot

1 Like

Stafford is much more handsome than Goff

Here is my take….

Brady & Peyton is 14 of the last 40 SB appearances. Damn near 50% of the wins too!!!

So- yes Stafford is better than Goff?

I just think people really underestimate what Goff has done by age 27….

He has 1 less playoff win that Matt Ryan
He has 2 less than Rivers (by age 39!)

My point isn’t what Stafford was given, it was that LA clearly admitted the skill position group had become depleted based on how heavy they went to bolster it

1 Like

If we give him the Stafford courtesy, we will blame everyone and everything except him.

But if we use our eyes, ears and brains, we can see how well he performs with healthy talent around him

3 Likes

Goff, Cousins, M Ryan, D Carr, C Wentz, R Tannehill are all guys who could win a SB in this league….

Right, but what’s your point? Clearly it wasn’t depleted seeing as Stafford was lights out with the same weapons Goff had.

Again, I’m a Goff truther. I just think your looking at it the wrong way.

No Excuses!

(except we had excuses for Stafford for a decade)

There’s a distinction between ‘reasons’ and ‘excuses’ If I wasn’t drunk and tired I might just wax pedantic about it

If half the Oline is hurt again, Amon Ra digresses, Williams doesn’t recover, Swift is out, TJ breaks his foot….

Yeah. There’s excuses. Or….reasons? But if the offense stays healthy and Goff has time, he needs to get it done. I think this team, on paper can compete for the NFC title

4 Likes

I don’t want either of those guys either. :wink:
Exactly my point.

I think the stat I that would better exemplify my point is playoff appearances…and the single most accurate one would be Title Game Appearances. Mahommes and Allen will be there more than 50% of the time throughout thier careers…often times against each other.

These are exactly the type of “excuses” we had for had for Stafford for a decade…so which is it? Are we just picking what suits our narrative, or are we going with what is real?

Unless you mean when Goff has a #20 defense, a breaking down version of Gurley and an injured Kupp he went 13-3 and made a SB with a 101 plus rating. #6 OL

When Stafford had the #15 (although literally Stafford pick 6s) defense, but if we took offensive points allowed, they were actually 5th…. They were 12-5 with similar TD/INT ratio and yards per game, and a 102 rating.

Goff lost by 10 to Bradys Patriots. Stafford best 10 win Bengals by 3…

I think Stafford is the more talented, and now lore accomplished QB- but when Goff had a fully competent team around him his winning percentage, stats, and all were close.

Nobody was suggesting a zero playoff win Stafford being replaced by garbage like Baker, or shitty rookie prospects.

Would I trade Goff and a 1st for Stafford? Yes. Is that an option? No

I disagree massively!!!

1 Like

I think I left enough ambiguousness between ‘reasons’ and ‘excuses’ that I was hoping y’all could figure that out for yourselves

3 Likes

I read quickly and could have missed something. I’ll go back and reread, just to make sure I’m keeping my side of the street clean for ya, brother.

edit → 2nd time through, I can see where there’s ambiguity in there. Even in reading more carefully, I can see where I would misinterpret it had I not read your follow up post though.

No biggie. Sometimes it’s harder to catch stuff in text.
I could figure it out for myself if I were smarter. You’d better lean on your intelligence, smart guy…cuz I’m better looking than you! :wink:

go ahead…pretend it doesn’t matter.

1 Like

I agree with everything you said lol

1 Like

Big Sexy- think about this…

You don’t want Ryan or Rivers? You want Manning or Brady- but so do 31 other teams and for 6 decades…. Well minus the Montana 49ers, they were probably pretty content :wink:

D Carr has a monster cast around him in 2022- Adams outside, B Edwards height, Waller down the seam, Renfrow underneath and some young talent potentially bolstering the OL… J Jacobs, Drake and Z White!!!
C Jones, DL help… Raiders will be tough.

Herbert has his whole team back plus a great OG pickup in round 1, and then I Spiller, but really adding K Mack, S Day-Joseph, and JC Jackson…. Chargers could easily win division.

I don’t love Russ in Denver, but they will win 8-9 games plus and this make it much harder on KC…

The Jets and Phins have had big off seasons, and I love what the Colts did.

If anything losing AJ Brown might take Titans down a notch and let Colts win 12-13,games in a weak division.

I see see the AFC as a 3-4 year gauntlet…

1 Like