Who to pick at 6? Draft, and Jared Goff

You might be on to something here. I like Dre’Mont Jones alittle better . But Gaines is interesting for sure. He put up them stats on a part time bases correct ?

Yeah until Donald got hurt then his play time increased a lot. He really stood out in that Raiders game.

2 Likes

The question is whete would Okudah rank against this class when he came out. My bet is far and away no.1. We were told over and over he was the next Ramsey or Peterson and worth 3 OA, and was a lock to be a Lion.

I didn’t see it then by any stretch, and I don’t see Sauce in this class. This clas feels like mid 1st and 2nd rd is where the talent is.

Personally I want a Fagent and am fine with a CB at 18 or in the 2nd.

I know this, personally, im more worried about getting the bpa iwith our picks, especially in the 1st. That 5th yr option is great to have.

Im sure bpa and need will mesh a few times. I don’t want to reach for need. Prefer fagency to fill what we can’t get in the draft, especially on a 1 or 2 yr deal

2 Likes

Coming back to “who to pick” and piggy-backing on my insistence that we can forget about QB…
I’m going to agree with the OP on a position-group to scratch off your list:

DE/Edge

Harris and Houston
Hutch and Romeo
Paschal and Commish
We have every variety of Edge/DE we could want covered. Julian will likely be here for training camp as insurance against injury, while Bryant is likely gone in FA. Even with Bryant and Julian departing, I just don’t see any resources spent here this year.

1 Like

That’s what I said when i created this post. For now, we are fine at DE/Edge. I wouldn’t even draft Anderson.

1 Like

Sorry. I cleaned up my post to show agreement with that thought.

1 Like

Things will change drastically after the combine. For me, if there isn’t an elite DT prospect, then I go Bijan. Okudah was legit ranked as a top 10 pick, and one of the best prospects in years so I understand why he was picked. But unless you are Champ Bailey generational potential talent, I’m not a fan of taking at CB in the top 10. Maybe 10.

I’m more convinced Bijan should be the pick. This is coming from a guy who screams defense for the last 30 years. I don’t care if RB’s aren’t valued as high anymore. RB is still a premium position. Bijan looks to be a generational player that you just can’t pass up. People say he’s Marshall Faulk 2.0. An entire offense can be built around this guy. He can be the next Lions great.

And it makes sense. RB is actually a need. This team is a run first team. JW is a FA, but even if he re-signs, he’s not great. He’s the good back-up. Swift could have been the guy, but he can’t handle a big workload, can’t run in-between the tackles, is injury prone, and avoids contact.

8 Likes

Oh, no problem. That wasn’t needed. My post was to back up you, backing me on that. We both agree, and I think we are both right.

1 Like

I think that’s fair. Probably a tier above Gonzalez and Witherspoon for me. But a tier below both Sauce and Stingley. I’d have him in the same tier as Surtain, Lattimore, etc…

But that doesn’t mean these guys this year won’t turn out to be great. I’d have them both a tier above AJ Terrell who was all pro last year. And above Jaire too, and that guy’s one of the best in the game. It’s on Brad to figure it out.

Absolutely the way it should be. That’s why I keep bringing up Wilson and Van Ness (and others mention Murphy), not a huge need but certainly something we could use, and more likely to be stars going forward. Draft good players and make them work, that’s what the best teams do.

1 Like

Thanks sir, appreciate itl

3 Likes

This is where I am at. If we truly feel like we are just settling for an iffy player just for the position, I would grab Bijan and move on. There is nothing wrong with taking a good football player. Its what the draft is for. On Sunday we don’t get extra points for “value.”

8 Likes

Totally. As I said, just because RB’s aren’t normally drafted as high anymore, doesn’t mean it’s still not a premium position. And they still get drafted high when it’s an elite prospect. I’ll give up #6 for D Henry, or Saquon, and some others. Bijan is considered by many the best player in this draft, and one of those generational talents. If you go BPA, that’s your guy. And the Lions need an upgrade at RB. Especially with how much they are all about the run game. Bijan with this OLine who made JW look like a star, breaking Barry’s record? Gimme that!

4 Likes

We run a lot of two LB sets

best friends stepbrothers GIF

This is exactly how I feel about the situation. We have a chance to get a DIFFERENCE maker, who is clearly the best at his position and is better than anything we have at that position on the current roster. I’m glad Swift was able to gut out the season, but I’m tired of it. He hasn’t stayed healthy at all, he’s not the long term answer. Anything he does that is special and helps the team when he’s in, is offset by him being gone or severely limited for half the season.

2 Likes

PFF is not the be all end all, but they had him as the overall highest graded LB this year and the highest graded LB in coverage which surprised me. What I have seen of him in the games I’ve watched, his instincts and ability to quickly diagnosis compensate for his lack of elite athleticism. After Drew Sanders, Campbell is probably my favorite ILB in this draft.

2 Likes

Yep! Besties! Bijan is being compared to Marshall Faulk. He has a higher rating than Zeke, Saquon, CMAC, and others. He is the complete running back of speed, elusiveness, and power. And he’s graded equal or better than the top WR prospects. He is an entire teams offense. He should be the number 1 pick.

And like the points I made before, RB is a need. JW is a free agent. I gave up on Swift also. This team likes to run. This team has an elite OL. JW is a back-up RB who had 1’000 yards, and 17 TD’s. This offense is one of the best in the league. And Jamo hasn’t been unleashed yet. Adding Bijan are you kidding? It’s almost insanely stupid to pass on him. The 6th pick should be a game changer.

4 Likes

If we take a RB at 6 I will take back every nice thing I have said about the lions this year. Hopefully at least one of the top 3 QBs will make it down to 6 and one of the dumba55 teams below us trade up to our spot. Would love to drop down to 10 or so and gain some picks for next year.

his play for LA was first rate. lots of power and energy. great piece in a rotation. I mentioned his name in another post as a guy to plug in so we were pigeon holed into taking a DT in the draft just to take one. I think he gets about 5M but we will see.

1 Like

His length adds a wrinkle into zone. Both of theirs.

I like what either of them would add for the Lions. I especially like what Sanders offers blitzing, believe he had 9 or 10 sacks this year.

1 Like