Why I don't want a QB this draft an after Pick 2

Goff>Carr>Jimmy>Willis

1 Like

Willis>Carr>Jimmy>Goff
We agreed on the middle 2. LOL

1 Like

He does if we’re not the team picking at #2.

Point well taken.

Carr’s arm isn’t nearly as big as Staff’s. I went to the gane at Oakland in '19. Had great seats. The difference in zip was noticeable.

1 Like

I look at players in tiers and I think if you add Mayfield and Cousins in with these three, you have a nice tier. We can quibble about who might have the better year next year, but all are QBs that can win if surrounded by talent. (if we were talking WAR, I would suggest they would all fall between that 0.00 to 1.00 range as they are the tier of “average” QBs.)

Scary thing is Mayfield or Jimmy G could look the best while holding a clipboard…

Carr>Cousins>Goff>Jimmy G>Mayfield for the 2022 year. (Note: A Mayfield trade could make me rethink this.

2 Likes

I was listening to the POD podcast and one of the guys brought up a good point. I’ll paraphrase, but he was fielding a lot of questions about the Lions #2 pick and that it would be stupid for them to take Willis at 2. But his argument was that these same people were saying it would be brilliant if Carolina took him at pick 6. Which does not make any sense when talking about the QB position. Most Willis detractors would say the same about pick 6 as they would pick 2, but there are a lot of people who believe in traits, upside and the neck up check.

To me ANY QB pick is a 50/50 crap shoot at best. Yes that goes for the guys who go way up top. Sam Darnold anyone? Daniel Jones? I’m sure they are for sale. My thing is that I’d rather try to take a small TD, add even just a high 2nd round pick (that would be a high level starter for us), then take Willis ahead of Carolina. The main reason is that I am against selling TONS of future assets is you are going to take THE SAME FREAKING GAMBLE.

Worst case scenario if we TD take Willis at say 5 and pick up the Giants 2nd and some change (very conservative, we could get more IMO). Maybe they want to lock up Neal let’s say. He busts out and because of that you lose out on ONE highly talented, but few call “elite” EDGE rusher. Next year you STILL have 2 first round picks and the ability to take Goff’s contract off the books if you want to take a swing in FA. This is far far from a “nightmare scenario” that sinks the franchise for years.

Here IMHO is the far worse scenario. We get that EDGE, say it’s KT, I think he would/will be outstanding for us. We don’t add another high 2nd round pick because we stayed put. We go .500 next year. Then we need to try to move up to the top 2 picks to get either Young (5’11 maybe and sub 200lbs…) or Stroud (who is no Peyton Manning). What will be THAT cost IF they don’t pull a Cinci/Burrow and won’t take anything, no matter how great (Miami threw them the kitchen sink and were denied)? Think both 1st’s which exhausts the Rams trade capital. Will that be enough to go from 15 to 2 with an “elite” QB prospect on the board??! Heeeeelllllsss no.

So go ahead and throw your 2024 first rounder away too and you STILL may not have enough to motivate the 2OA holder to part with that pick and just assuming Stroud. You don’t think we’d have any competition throwing stupid comp around?? Who is the #3 QB next year again? Slovis?? What is the worst case scenario HERE?? We trade THREE first round picks and likely change for Stroud and HE falls victim to the 70 freaking percent bust rate. Personally I don’t think the prospect potential of Stroud would warrant SOOOOOOOO much more of a risk investment wise over Willis. Stroud is more polished right now, but will he be as a rookie compared to Willis going into year 2 of an NFL program after having sat behind Goff and watched the team use all that draft and Free Agency capital drafting and acquiring pieces around him for 2 full offseasons?? Not going to plant the flag and say absolutely.

3 Likes

VERY well put, bro. I’m all about taking Willis, even @2, if no trade partners are available. It’s crazy to me that so many think we can sure-fire land a top QB next year. IMO, we won’t have near the ammo to get that done…and factor in as you say about bust rate and how ALL QBs are a risk…I’m with you 100%.

I’d love to see 'em snag him in a trade down, as you say. That’s best case scenario.

This is fun:
Staff>>Willis>Carr>JimmyG>Cousins>Goff>Mayfield

Remind me why we need to move up?

Well put. I think alot of people cannot get over the fact that there is no Calvin Johnson sitting there at 2, and they throw stones at whomever you put up there. Let’s be honest, there are about 10 or 12 picks you could make at two. None of them compare to a Megatron. Lets get over it and take advantage of where we are. Whether its the “best” gamble on a QB, whether its an elite talent not at a position of need (CB, OL), or whether its the best option after a thorough vetting at a position of need (WR, DE, LB, S). Sure, I’m all for trading back no matter what, but if it doesn’t happen, Willis (or for that matter CorralI MHO ) is not a bad gamble.

1 Like

If we want one of the quote un quote “elite” QB’s next year, we will have to IF those picks even end up for sale. Zero chance of knowing that it will even be an option. If we are picking top 2 again next year, then they’d better take a QB because the seats will be warming.

Oooh, I disagree with this a lot. Stroud is ten times the prospect Willis is to me, it’ll take Willis twenty years to develop Stroud’s pocket presence, his decision-making, his preternatural gift for going through his progressions, and he’ll never be as accurate. To me on par with saying Troy Hill (same size as Willis, similarly strong arm) is a better prospect than Aaron Rodgers. CJ Stroud is a slam dunk QB prospect.

But this gets down the real crux of the issue. We can present all the arguments about QB hit rate, and what it will cost next year to trade up next year, or any other QB-related noise that to me is superfluous, because in the end it only comes down to one thing: what we think of the prospect. You, Natty, others love him for the reasons you’ve listed ad nauseum, I don’t for the reasons I’ve hammered home for the past six months. At this point we’re just banging our heads against the walls of each other’s opinions.

I see it differently. If you want a Mahommes, you may very well have to pick high. If you want an Aaron Rodgers, a pocket passer type that can buy SOME time with their legs, there are several options. Then there is the very real chance that we won’t need one at all. If we are picking #2 next year QB, well then you need to clean the entire slate again.

I simply think people are overstating what our actual options are next season even if we want another QB.

1 Like

YES! :wink:

Smart post. Completely agree.

The QB’s from 2021 who threw for over 4,000 yards, that will be in the 2023 draft.
Bryce Young Bama 314-462 4,322 43 TD’s 4 int’s
Jake Haener Fresno State 329-490 4,096 33TD’s 9 int’s
Brennan Armstrong Virginia 327-501 4,444 31 TD’s 10 int’s 256 yards rushing 9 TD’s
Will Rogers, Mississippi St 473-630 4449 35 TD’s 8 int’s

Honorable Mention
CJ Stroud Ohio St 280-395 3,862 38 TD’s 5 int’s
Sam Hartman Wake Forest 276-469 3,924 36 TD’s 14 int’s 342 yards rushing 11 TD’s.

QB’s in this draft who threw for over 4,000 yards.
Pickett
Zappe
Strong

…and…what if they get hurt? Happens every year.
I see the likelihood of us getting a top 5 pick almost zero, next year…also I think our chances go down after that, as our team gets better and better.

Worst case scenario is the Lions taking Willis with any pick prior to the 3rd round. Even then I would prefer it to be the comp pick 3rd rounder (as we might actually still have a shot of getting a real NFL player in the 3rd).

I see Willis as a guy that has a high likelihood of washing out of the league with little to no success. He would struggle to make the #2 spot in Detroit and our back up QB’s suck. If he wanted to play RB I would consider taking him much higher.

Um, that’s only 15 years…