Why I think Anthony Richardson's in play at #6

Agreed. All three are risky so high in the draft.

1 Like

Any of my “intel” is sourced from podcasts
Good while driving …

Anyway, I had heard the statement that
“the Lions may scout quarterbacks more than any team in the league”

This, of course, would be good practice regardless of immediate intentions
Understand as much as you can on prospects
Some day you may play them
Some day they may become available
Or, you may draft one

Arguing whether they take one at 6 is almost pointless
We’d all lean towards no, but who knows?

Can anyone confirm whether they’ve invested significant time looking at other prospects as well?

1 Like

The ONLY way Richardson goes #6 is if Detroit trades the pick.

2 Likes

I heard Adam Kaplan on the radio three weeks ago talking about a conversation he had with an NFL decision maker that picked later in the first. This person said don’t be surprised if Richardson ends up in the conversation for #1OA bc his tools are that unprecedented. He was clear that the source was saying “in the conversation” not that he was predicting that it would occur. :man_shrugging:

Richardson is a to QB what Travon Walker was to edge.

3 Likes

Based on what information?

I don’t think anyone fits this profile more then Bijan. He’s such a perfect boom now pick. Not going to get longevity simply cause of position, but plug and play, full of splash plays seems the floor.

1 Like

A guy you wished you would have passed on in favor of the guy that got picked after him ??

You could be right, i’m usually against 1st round RB’s but behind the Lions O-line he would be deadly.

Imagine having Bijan, J-Will and Swift. Good luck defenses. And then the play action game to St. Brown and Jamo!

Then draft the best corner on the board @18.

2 Likes

That’s not even close to the point he’s trying to make.

They’re both prospects who are going to rise predraft because of their physical traits.

1 Like

Me, desire to draft a qb earlier this year, uh, No.
I think you have me confused with someone else.

I have always said i was cautiously optimistic on Goff. I have not been one overly impressed with this years QB’s for a variety of reasons.
I have stated that if the front office wanted to draft a QB in the first to replace Goff I defer to them.

1 Like

Right. Also it’s not like walker was a bum or a bad pick.

1 Like

Lions def had alot of focus on Flordia this year for sure

Richardson is similar to Levis in the shit floor, but high ceiling category currently, and yes, we all know that any QB we take will be behind Goff.

I kinda can see it, but i feel like Brad knows we have too many holes on Defense to afford going for a prospect like Richardson tbh

I am completely open minded when it comes to Richardson. I believe that Goff is good enough for us to build around.

With that said, Richardson has best player in the NFL upside. I don’t think that is a hyperbole either. Of course he has to hit that upside and odds are obviously better he doesn’t than does. If he does though, you are a legitimate 15 year Super Bowl contender.

He is extremely raw and really needs to take time to learn his craft and get better and he can do that here. He appears to of high character and a really good kid. I would definitely understand the appeal if we took his 6th.

It is not the direction I would go at this point though.

2 Likes

Jermaine Johnson didn’t, and he was floated as a top ten pick for most of the draft season.

https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/news/why-new-york-jets-jermaine-johnson-should-change-positions-scouting-report

Two years ago Jaelen Phillips, Kwity Paye and Payton Turner all had middling impacts. K’Lavon Chaisson was, and remains, a catastrophe. #5 overall pick Clelin Ferrell contributed almost nothing as a rookie, same for Marcus Davenport.

What did they have in common? They were projects. Just like the 3 guys being floated at our pick. Maybe they contribute a lot as rookies, but maybe they don’t. My hunch is it will take them awhile. @1CasanovaJack is on record as saying we would need to be patient on Van Ness.

I would much rather target another position as well. But what you and I think doesn’t matter. What Brad thinks matters, and it’s for the reasons listed above I think he could be very interested in Richardson.

And by your definition of backup QB, Mahomes, Watson, Herbert, Lamar, Hurts, etc… were all backups, because there was a different starter in place when they were drafted. To me that’s not drafting a backup regardless of their status when their rookie seasons start. That’s the future, or it’s not.

6 Likes

I did not want Walker and while I like Richardson’s upside thst wouldn’t be my preference at 6. But I trust Brad implicitly so I’ll hop on board with any decision.

3 Likes

Right. I was just trying to say that we had never really seem a player with Walker’s measurables at his position and it may end up being the case thet we’ve never seen a QB with that combination of athleticism and raw arm talent.

1 Like

Very well said. I should have included this in my reasons it could happen in my original post. In fact maybe it should have been #1.

2 Likes

It’s really hard to process some of the perspectives in this forum lately.

I’ve basically been called out my “unrealistic off-season” wish lists, and told trading down is going to be virtually impossible……

So I may as well double down on the rest of my unrealistic expectations…

• I would like Brad Holmes competency questioned if we don’t sign at least 2-3 of our key guys… and additionally, at least 2 “plus “starter” level outside FAs this year.

• I would like Holmes fired if he drafts Anthony Richardson at #6….

Why? We had 8M more cap space than Philly, and 33M more than the Chiefs… compare free agents hauls…. We can create as much cap space as we reasonably need to sign 6-8 guys. Yes we can over pay a bit as next year we won’t have the 20M plus in dead cap created by the moves we have to make in 2023…. Harris, Romeo, V, Brockers, that’s how we free up 20M- but still eat 20M.

Anthony Richardson couldn’t start at a lot of colleges, let alone a playoff bound NFL team.

I think most realistic fans would agree Lamar Jackson, Fields and Murray were all far more successful “passers coming out.”

I also know that’s 2, and curious we’re all in on him last year as a guy who could blaze up to number one this year…. Then his completion percentage and YPA dropped to Denard Robinson levels this year as a full time starter.

His ypc dropped, everything was bad…. He’s a tall, fast, injury prone, inaccurate guy who throws hard….

1 Like

The reason why I am going to laugh at any team taking Levis is because they are getting the low floor without getting as high of a ceiling.

Good, we agree. Nice talk.

yeah

them boys (Levis, Richardson) needs a year to two on the bench to cook for sure

Im not gonna throw out the potential of Richardson at 6 (Im an advocate of getting a backup QB this draft, just not day 1 to day 2 tbh)

1 Like