Why taking a QB in round 1 could end in disaster…

I’d be really surprised if Holmes goes QB in round 1

I think he’s trying to build a roster, but heck, I could be wrong

5 Likes

I agree. I simply trust the 20 plus times I’ve watched Bryce or Stroud… and I don’t feel wowed as often as some of you….

Young buying time does nothing for me. I’d argue that if watched their throws only… Mac Jones was better- must be why his rating is 40 points higher.

Watching Stroud and Fields it’s clear that Fields is a better athlete and bigger warrior. Stroud seems like he has some Kyler Murray energy to him, maybe I’m wrong

Anthony Richardson seems a lot like Lamar Jackson without all the success passing and rushing, and highlights…

Will Levis had a very Jay Cutler season last year. Then got dinged up and regressed this year. What is he?

• sure if you hit…. Show me the 6’3” 225 pound QB who threw 35 tds and has 4.7-4-8speed and has a cannon arm….

I just described Herbert, Mahomes, and Lawrence.

Show me the 200 plus rating QB who won a national championship while throwing 40 plus tds and sub 9 ints…… That is Tua and Burrow…

So you are left with Josh Allen, and maybe it’s Levis? Levis isn’t quite the specimen, nor is his arm quite as big. Levis is the only one that even remotely makes sense.

4 Likes

Isn’t this a false choice though? You can have both Brett Farve and Aaron Rodgers, Rodgers and Love, Bledsoe and Brady, Brady and a bunch of guys; then you get to decide to switch when it makes sense for the team. Having multiple good QBs is what good teams do, though I understand this is a foreign concept to us.

1 Like

True

Very true

also - Fortune favors the handsome

I promise you, our coach and GM are super-bold. Bold to trade up and draft JaMoss.
Bold to cut players that you signed because they re “turds”
Bold the way we call plays
Bold the way we use our “punter”

I feel like everything about this organization screams bold.
Bold’n’Gritty - that would be a great breakfast cereal!

2 Likes

Packers got the ugly part down!

ABORT!!! ABORT!!!

Cutler’s problems all came from between his ears. If this dude is an emotionally healthy Cutler, sign me up!

One thing I’d like to add…
I believe our coaches to be phenomenal at developing talent, so my hope is that the same holds true for QB, and that this increases our chances, should we make the move.

1 Like

Seattle GM is looking like a “super” genius.

Dump Russell Wilson at exactly the right time. Pick up players and a ton of picks (they took their starting LT last year with the first rounder). They have another 1st and 2nd rounder this draft. With the Denver collapse they are looking at a possible top 5 pick.

If they don’t like Lock, they are in a great position to get their future starter and a chance to sit them a year behind Geno. If they like Lock, they have a chance to get one of the top defenders.

1 Like

Jared Goff approves, as do I
Ryan Gosling Clap GIF

1 Like

THIS ALL DAY LONG AND TWICE ON SUNDAYS.

Goff current ranks

Passing yards 9th, TDs 9th TD % 14th INT % 14th, Y/A 12th, QBR 12th

Again with 3 or 4 of his top 5 WR out for half his games and gimpy for 3/4, plus Hock gone, Swift a ghost most of the season and a run first O scheme.

Goff aint Matty or Mahomes etc…but he is a lot less pressing of an issue than the D, currently ranked 30th even after a 4 week resurgence…

Holmes looks like a guy who can work a phone and make deals happen. Once he gets to a strong position of high level talent all over the roster, he can go all Les Snead/ ■■■■ Them Picks and go get The Guy to put us iver the top IF Goff doesnt turn out to be him…

4 Likes

The draft is a crapshoot for every position.

The bottom line is that QB is the most important position possibly in all of sports so if you have belief in a guy that can take your team to the next level, you have to take him or trade for him.

If you look at the best teams of the last several years, what’s the common theme? Their QB took the team to the next level. What happens if KC and Buffalo didn’t trade up for their QB? What happens if the Rams don’t trade for Stafford or the Bucs don’t sign Brady or the Bengals pass on Burrow? Look at the Eagles now that Hurts broke out. Look at the Dolphins now that Tua is healthy and producing.
QBs man, they’re the difference maker most times. One can argue Goff with the Rams but that was many moons ago and a tremendous supporting cast ago.

If the Lions want to go all in with Goff as their franchise guy going forward then we’ll just have to trust in them but I see a limited team upside with Goff and at the very least would like to see a high potential QB push him. For instance, if they want to take a shot with somebody like Hooker or Richardson in the 2nd, I say why the hell not. Doesn’t have to be a QB in the 1st necessarily but at some point, I think they’ll need to be bold and take their shot.

2 Likes

Is it though? How big is said reward?

Holmes obviously has a different view of Goff than you, and many in here…

Maybe it was scouting the 6’4” kid with a solid arm and great accuracy that shattered all the Cal records…. Goff left school after his junior year as the #5 all time passing leader in PAC 12 history, and ranked #5 in career tds as well…. He holds the single season passing TD record with 43…. He did that with zero pro talent around him…

So a guy who scouts and advocates to draft Goff, then gets the REWARD of seeing the kid reach pro bowl level play… make 2 playoff runs… and get the Rams to the SB by age 24….

• some of you pretend that the Rams got there despite Goff, but they had the #20 ranked defense and no Kupp after week 8… and Gurley was falling apart late in the season. He had more than 16 carries just ONCE over his last 11 starts and missed 2 games completely….
  1. How has the reward Allen gave Buffalo differed from the one Goff gave the Rams? Both are 3-3 in the playoffs….

2. How has the reward of drafting Herbert benefitted Chargers fans more than the reward Goff gave LA fans…

3. How has the reward of Tua thus far outshines what Goff did in his first 3 years?

If you are looking for the perfect comparison to the Goff “reward” it’s Joe Burrow…. Like Goff- Burrow has a dynamic young HC… Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Hurst, Mixon, but the Bengals have a slightly better D than the 17-18’ Rams did. I would bet Burrow has an almost identical W-L record, two playoff runs, a SB appearance and a he will likely have a 3-2 playoff record by end of this year.

———— so if the sought after reward is a pro bowl level QB that is playoff ready by year 2, and plays in a SB by year 3…. WE LITERALLY ALREADY HAVE HIM!

————- if the goal is draft a QB in round 1 that wins a SB by year 3 and is more than a game manager at the time of the SB- the. I guess we are talking about only Pat Mahomes….

4 Likes

Oh man, this might be a long off-season…

I don’t think we will have a real shot at Young, and I am not a fan of Stroud. So, then I am looking at guys later.

We have to play the hand we are dealt, and I don’t see a Goff upgrade that we could reasonably acquire. Like, I think Young might be better than Goff in the pros if he doesn’t get wrecked. But maybe not. 50% odds maybe? Still, he very likely goes #1, and I doubt the Texans (or whoever) are trading out of that spot.

The rest of the guys probably have less than a 50% chance of being better than Goff in the pros. Probably much less than that. So, if you want a QB, draft one later and load up on other studs early.

1 Like

I have Goff in the Matt Ryan or Dererk Carr tier. Not the worst, but certainly not the best.

A lot of you rip on Kirk Cousins. I absolutely have Cousins a tier above Goff. Would make that trade today.

1 Like

A tremendous supporting cast like…

Evans, Gronk, Godwin, AB, Fournette, stud OL and a top 3 defense?

Kupp, OBJ, Woods, Jefferson, Higbee, a top OL, and a d that featured Donald, Ramsey and Von Miller?

How about Ty Hill, J Waddle, multiple backs signed and traded for… Gesecki- and they still haven’t won shit.

S Diggs, E Sanders/G Davis, Knox, solid OL, and to 1-2 D in the league each of the last few years?

1 Like

I’ll be excited to see how the Defensive rankings come out. As horrible as our Defense has been, it actually is quite a feat to be 31, with as horrible as we played early on. I’m surprised.

Wonder what we will be ranked in the last 1/2 of the season?

Still …stats as “proof”…Strength of Schedule will be a totally different read.

Yeah, every QB needs good players around him with the difference being that Goff crumbled when his supporting cast crumbled while those guys have a history with working well with multiple supporting casts.

You’re missing my main point that the QB was the key to those franchises ascending. This isn’t even debatable.

As I said before, if the Lions believe that Goff is THE guy to lead a championship team then so be it but I don’t share that belief. I think he limits the upside of the Lions, if we’re talking perennial SB contender. Doesn’t mean he’s a bad QB, I just don’t feel comfortable with handing him the keys to the franchise.

And FTR, I’m not saying that they have to take a QB in this draft.

I think Cousins gets undue criticism and hate at times,

He does have a 7-26 record against teams with a winning record… his 1-2 playoff record by age 34 when he’s had a lot of talent around him doesn’t help his cause…

Factually… we had real shots to beat Buffalo, Minny and Miami if it weren’t for coaching blunders.

1 Like

The decision will be a lot easier than people think if Lions just have Will Anderson looking them in the face.

2 Likes

The anti-clutch Romo gene, I think there is truth to that. But he’s still better than Goff. So was Romo.

How well has Stafford worked with “multiple” casts? He hadn’t won a playoff game by age 33…. He had some awesome offensive casts here in Detroit, and a year with a top 3 D and Calvin…

Stafford was one game better than Goff with a better team around him. Stafford was 33 and Goff was 24…

• since we are literally watching Stafford, Rodgers, and Brady sitting at a combined 8-20 this year with their OL and WR health issues…

It’s odd how much better Burrow got with Chase, or Tua got with Ty Hill added to the mix eh?

1 Like