Why the Rams won the Stafford-Goff trade in an absolute landslide

1 Like

Outside of quarterbacks I think you could take 2 players drafted in the 1st round off every team in the NFL and it wouldn’t be a night and day difference results wise.

I really hate the phrase mortgaging your future in pro sports especially football

I think it was genius to get the #1 pick in the next 2 years because of the pandemic, it will be like throwing at a dart board this year. Next year should be easier on scouting.

Totally agree

Fellas…Brad Holmes acquired two valuable pieces for the future. He can use them now for trades or sit on them. He doesn’t have to use them today or tomorrow. But he has flexibility now. A LOT of flexibility. The Rams had these pieces and they used them on Stafford. Yep, they have a fine QB but their ability to make the team better after that is hurt as those pieces are now gone. They cannot trade picks twice. They used that tool.

Draft picks are not magic beans. They are lottery tickets. And your high picks have a better chance at paying out than later rounds therefore they are more valuable. All picks are lottery tickets but early draft picks/lottery picks have a better shot at paying big money later.

You give me seven first round picks and you get 7 seventh round picks…who has a better chance at selecting better players?

A team doesn’t need a lottery ticket to be a Pro Bowl player to have been a good pick. Just finding real NFL players in any round is important. Now, selecting veterans with draft picks is solid as the draft picks are just a lottery ticket while a veteran is a known commodity. The salary cap hedges that strategy ultimately as a team cannot pay only veterans to flush out their team.

The Rams are choosing high end talent over lottery tickets. That is exciting. Aaron Donald, Stafford, Ramsey and so on. Get players who can play now versus a lottery ticket. Can a club remain competitive long term like that? The Rams are doubling down on that strategy right now.

A team is a turn style. Players come and go every year. Your top players stay much longer in some cases. Can the Rams find success using their lottery tickets on high dollar free agents versus rookies and their 4 year contracts? Time will answer that question.

They have now been good for 4 seasons and likely will for at least the next 2 doing this.

That’s 6 years. That’s long term in NFL years

The Lions won this trade in a Landslide.

And it’s not because of Goff or any one of the draft picks we received in the trade.

We won this trade big because we did the right thing, the right way.

• We amicably moved on from a 12 year QB/franchise relationship with respectful actions while creating a market and receiving value in return. I said in another thread, but this should be a blue print for other franchises on how to move away from a star veteran player. I think the Lions deserve credit for the masterful way they handled this from within the organization and through the media.

• The Rams were not loyal, or there must be information missing from this Goff/McVay breakup. They drafted this kid, he takes them to a Super Bowl and makes 2 Pro Bowls and how do they treat him? They threw Goff under the bus with the remarks made by McVay and Snead over the past few weeks. The Rams completely blew any leverage they had if they wanted to get maximum value in return for Goff.

• Lions did it the right way. Rams did it the completely wrong way.

It may not turn into more wins or championships, but I’m proud of our team and the way we treated our QB with the respect he deserved. I wouldn’t be proud as a Rams fan on how they just kicked their QB to the curb like he was Johnny Manziel. Goff was drafted #1 overall for a reason. He made two Pro Bowls for a reason. And the Rams went to the Super Bowl because of Goff and not despite him being their QB.

We won this trade in a landslide.

10 Likes

Rams took the risk. This trade could look really bad for them if and/or when Stafford fails.

Lions took little to no risk. I like the move.

1 Like

They were amazing in 2017 and 2018. Super Bowl in 2018. In 2016 they were terrible under Fisher and they were amazing in 2018. But they didn’t make the playoffs in 2019 while they went 9-7. They were back in the playoffs for the 2020 by going 10-6 and they won a playoff game V. the Seahawks but lost to the Packers. No shame there.

In 2020 the Rams killed the 'Hawks on the ground with Goff only throwing the ball 19 times. 1 TD and 2 sacks. Only 9 completions though. Goff’s rating was 93.1 and that was about right. V. the Packers Goff was 12/27 174 yards 1 TD no INTs and 4 sacks. Not too bad but not good enough. 108.1 rating.

Yes, the Rams are good right now and they are better with Stafford. Sean has had a hell of a run and he is doubling down now. But he is the only guy and team to play this game this far.

The Steelers traded their 2020 1st rd. pick for Minkah Fitzpatrick but past that the Steelers rarely do that. recent 1st rd. picka like Devin Bush, Terrell Edmunds, T.J. EWatt or Artie Burns? All defensive players. Burns sucked for the Steelers but the other picks are solid.

Can the Rams keep it up without restocking? I think that will be fascinating to watch.

TJ Watt is a superstar, Devin Bush has played 21 of 32 games and was mediocre at best when he did play this year,Terrell Edmunds was a bust until this year, and Artie Burns sucks.

That’s one great player and one solid, one bust and one maybe.

The Steelers measurably don’t have the success the Rams have over the last 4 year’s and I don’t see it in the next 2 either.

Wrath…little harsh on Bush. He played 5 games and was injured. Bush played 16 games as a rookie. In 2020 Bush was calling defensive plays for the Steelers. Bush may still be a star for the Steelers. They sure like him. Terrell Edmunds was seen as a reach at the time but the Steelers finally figured out how to use him and he started to play well for the Steelers roughly as a strong safety in 2020.

That really makes 3/4 solid picks in the first round for the Steelers. One of those picks is a star and Bush may still be a star if he fully recovers from an ACL injury in 2020.

Burns was a bust. The Steelers are at fault for not knowing how to use Edmunds but they seem to have finally found his place.

Point is the Rams are choosing to use high draft picks as tools to acquiring veteran players who are proven but more expensive. Can that strategy work over time? In the short run of course it works! But in the long run is it sustainable?

This so far is the most compelling thought. Only time will reveal whether Goff was a product of McVay’s system, if he has other personality issues we don’t know about, or if McVay’s ego disallowed blaming anyone other than his QB for their struggles the last two seasons.

I haven’t done enough research to see if there’s been an evaluation on Goff’s play. It seems like McVay wasn’t seeing what he needed from Goff on tape — could be that Goff regressed, missed things he should’ve seen. Could also be Goff is not a playmaker, Stafford is, and that was the deciding factor.

Either way, we’ll know pretty early into 2021 just how right or wrong McVay was.

1 Like

I think Todd Gurley had a lot to do with how great Mcvays offense was. When your RB is putting up 20 tds and around 2000 yds from scrimmage everyone one on offense looks good.

2 Likes

I look at Goff through the lense of Todd Gurley. When Gurley was a BEAST…Goff was too. When Gurley slipped, so did Goff.

2017 and 2018 featured Gurley and Goff was fantastic and the Rams went to the Super Bowl in 2018. Gurley averaged 3.8 YPC in 2019 and the whole Rams offense slipped. Gurley was gone by 2020. The Rams went 10-6 in 2020 with Goff starting 15 games for them.

I think there are times McVay wanted Goff to take the game over and maybe that didn’t happen?

I don’t think McVay is a QB friendly coach overall. I am not sure he knows how to coach up QBs specifically like a Jim Caldwell for example. Meaning Goff maybe didn’t understand HOW to do that for McVay? Look at Stafford in 2013. Broken. Until Jim Caldwell came along and taught Stafford how to be a professional QB. Get that for Goff and we may be in business. McVay isn’t interested in doing that for Goff. So we take on that challenge while also taking three draft picks from them and they get finished product Matt Stafford.

I think getting to move on from the Rams and McVay could be a really good thing for Goff and people’s perception of him and his career. As long as he was there, he was never going to get credit no matter how well he played. Being in that situation was almost like being Mac Jones at Alabama, in the sense that the QB doesn’t get the credit for what’s going on. Coming to a team like the Lions, if he plays well he will finally get credit for it. And let’s be honest, he’s leaving a team that thinks “only” winning 1 playoff game 2 years removed from a Super Bowl appearance is a fireable offense. In Detroit if he wins a playoff game he’ll get another contract extension and if he gets us to a Super Bowl he’ll get a statue made in his honor.

On the flipside I think its a good move for Stafford as well. He will finally be with a team with enough talent that if he plays well, he’ll finally get credit for it because he’ll be winning meaningful games. Here in Detroit that wasn’t going to happen for most of his tenure here.

2 Likes

People are acting like Goff is a throw in, or even liability, but I think he’s a perfect buy low option for this franchise. The pros far outweigh the cons of seeing whether he has something to offer outside being a system QB for McVay. After all people were starting to shout that Tom Brady was a system QB for Bellichek before this year.

1 Like

Brady is a good example of a QB needing to get away from the current team in order for his legacy to change course. Succeeding in Detroit will be far more valuable than in LA, in terms of legacy points. I think people see Goff as a throw in player because the rest of the compensation was so damn high. Most of us never dreamed of getting that much for Stafford. Had we received Goff and a 3rd (for instance), I think people would be much more inclined to see Goff as part of the meat of the deal.

3 Likes

Hard to disagree with anything in the article. Goff certainly is the loser overall in the trade, but maybe this staff can turn things around for him. Then he could ultimately be a huge winner since any problems with LA’s offense seem to fall on Goff instead of McVay in the eyes of the media (boy McVay is their sweetheart isn’t he?)

I can disagree a lot with that article. True, Detroit is not a preferred destination. But the bar is so low here, what with the Lions having won 1 playoff game since 1957, and with people expecting nothing from Goff, that he literally can not fail.

Stafford on the other hand, he’s going to a team that thinks they’re a contender, and they gave up a ton for him, and if he’s not better than Goff, the honeymoon could end quickly. One thing I have to give Stafford though, is he’s used to underperforming and it has never fazed him before.