Why the Rams won the Stafford-Goff trade in an absolute landslide

That NFC west is going to be a hell of a division next year. Injuries will decide it imo.

And I would rather have kyler or Wilson than stafford at this moment. Going to be fun to see play out.

1 Like

That is the single most important question. Can Stafford stay healthy? He’s been trending in a bad direction health wise for 3 straight seasons. The Rams run a ton of bootlegs, QB’s need some mobility in McVay’s offense.

So I will ask again. Are you assuming that they would make a Super Bowl if they had kept Goff and the picks?

I expect we will go down the same route with Homes and Agnew’s Rams DNA. As head of college and pro they were big pieces of that Rams strategy being effective, with good later draft picks and veteran transactions.

I wonder if the 49ers make a huge play for Watson now. They were obvious candidates for Stafford and I feel like they need a QB upgrade to compete in that division now. Wilson, Watson, Stafford, Murray would be some lineup.

It makes you wonder… if you’re ranking the NFC West quarterbacks right now, how do you rank them?

1. Wilson
  2. Stafford
  3. Murray

Or do you switch Murray and Stafford? Not sure, that’s a tough one. SF better upgrade that QB spot quick or they are going to miss the window they’ve been in.

My post here is about this move being made to make the super bowl. If you were a rams fan and made this move, would you be happy with anything less than a SB? That is my point, what they would have had doesn’t matter as they no longer have it.

Right now their move is made to get over that hump and win the super bowl. If they don’t with this move then yes for the Rams it’s a failure.

Do you think the Tigers trade in 2014 for Price was great, given we didn’t make or win a WS? Same mindset here, moves made to get over the hump are pointless if you don’t get over the hump. The Rams are 3 years removed from a SB, they made this move to win it.

That division is tough. Not gonna be easy for Staff. I fully expect the 49ers to make a move at QB yet.

I understand what you’re saying Wes, but keep in mind the Rams will be significantly behind the 8 ball on getting back to respectability in a couple years. Once Stafford is old and broken down and that team has zero young talent to build around, it will be a really hard path to climb back to respectability. But I understand what you’re saying.

2 Likes

They are two organizations at different points; one is ready for the final step, and one is at the beginning of a rebuild. They do not need the same pieces… apples and oranges. Stafford would be wasting three years of his career in the rebuilding of this team, and he’s been injured enough to know it could all be over with one hit.

Definitely agree and 100% understand Wes’ point. This move was made by LA to win the SB, not knocking them making the move. If they fall short of their goal they tried to accomplish via this trade than how can it be classified as successful? They’ve already won the division, they’ve already made a SB. They didn’t need to make a move to potentially repeat those feats, but they did need to make a move to capitalize on their window and WIN a super bowl.

I am a little surprised no one is talking about the possibility (and should be MANDATORY) trading of Goff to the Colts, Broncos or Washington for a 1st and third??? If that were done now you have 3 first round picks and two third round picks for Stafford and allows you in a rebuild to draft a cheap quarterback to develop and do a 1 year performance contract with Winston or Fitzpatrick while developing a Rookie.

Maybe someone would give a late round pick for Goff, but nothing more. That contract makes him on the border of asset/liability. Either way the Lions wouldn’t get much in a trade, and they need someone to play QB so might as well try and rehabilitate Goff…

That’s about it. Right now they are a team that made the playoffs, had a playoff win, but came up two games short of the SuperBowl.
You could argue that a step forward makes this a win for the Rams, which would be going to the NFC championship game. Although that would be a hollow win, without taking two steps forward by going to the SuperBowl. So, I’m agreeing with you. The Rams win this trade if they go to the SuperBowl.

1 Like

2021 is almost a free shot for the Rams as they are only paying a 3rd to get Matt while dumping Goff . They price they are paying is in 2021 and 2022.

If the Rams don’t win in 2021 2022 and 2023 will be hard to improve their standing as they will need to extend of lose Stafford after 2022.

The question is if they lose in 2021…how can they get better with no first round pick in 2022? If drafts are the lifeblood of a franchise the Rams are turning that statement on its head. They are choosing more expensive veterans at the expense of cheap upside.

1 Like

I would just point out that Stafford didn’t win jack in college either and was easily outplayed by Aaron Murray. Outright fleeced the Rams. Hell of a start for the new regime.

1 Like

The only way to acquire talent is in the 1st round of the NFL draft?

1 Like

The general public overates 1st round picks or any draft picks for that matter.

Any team that trades 2 1sts isn’t mortgaging their future.

1 Like

This is where the magic bean jokes come in to play. People love their magic beans.

2 Likes

They will eventually have to pay the price for it, but what goes unsaid is that it doesn’t take too long or too much pain to get out from under it. The Seahawks just did it pretty well without backsliding at all really, though they did have Russell Wilson to help them through the process. Worst case a couple of years of stockpiling comp picks alongside other picks and you can be back in the black in a year or two and start the process all over again.