Wide Receiver targets

No move is without risk. There were plenty of raised eyebrows when we paid Tate and Jones and those both worked out (they feel like the only FA moves that have worked out for us in the past decade smh). Adding Gallup has a similar feel to me, an underappreciated guy who’s maybe the 3rd or 4th option on his team, looking for a chance to shine.

1 Like

Will Fuller is another guy who I think had top end traits in that vertical threat role but the guy just can’t seem to stay healthy.

He is on a 1 year 10 million deal with Miami but had hardly played. Would be worth kicking the tyres on if you could get him one a short term deal for 7 million a year

1 Like

Gallup has 17 career games with 8+ targets.
He totaled 167 targets in those games… and had over 1400 yards. :eyes:

He also has 7 games with 7 targets each… and had 31 catches for another 467 yards.

Get him some volume of targets… and he has produced.

Since joining Dallas, Cooper has missed 2 games and played less than 2/3 of snaps in another 5 games.
Gallup missed 1 of those games this year.

CeeDee Lamb also missed 1 game and much of another this year… while Cooper was out in weeks 11&12 this year, which left Gallup as top focal point.

In the 6 games with out Cooper playing as much… Gallup has 32 catches and 455 yards… which shows he can also produce without having a top WR opposite of him.

2 Likes

As we’re sitting here going thru this exercise, so is every GM in the league and I can only assume that they’re reaching a lot of the same conclusions as we are. Meaning, the pickens are slim. I’m of the opinion that because we are sitting in a good place with re to our cap and draft picks, we might be better off trading a pick and taking over a player that teams that are up against the cap need to consider moving.

2 Likes

Trade a bean for a player? One that might need to be paid money?

Blues Brothers GIF

2 Likes

Great scene and there’s nothing like plain white toast.

No to Will Fuller. He’s always injured.

What about signing Gallup and then trading for Cooks? I don’t think he’d cost all that much given he only has one year left at 13m.

Gallup, Cooks, St. Brown, Cephus and maybe Raymond and/or Reynolds.

That would be a pretty solid WR core. Most would have familiarity with Goff and we wouldn’t have to be relying on rookies acclimating. Though I do like the depth at WR in the draft so perhaps adding one later on day 2 rather than tripping Reynolds would make the most sense.

Gallup in FA or Cooks in a trade because I think we need to draft a WR with our 2 or 3.

Why not all of the above? Personally I’m all for overkill at WR. Let’s completely obliterate the “Goff has no weapons” narrative and see what he can do.

2 Likes

Kendrick Bourne was a trained assassin with limited opportunities before this year… and Belichick got him on a fairly reasonable deal.

Now he is killing it. :sunglasses:

Not speaking to whom the Lions should draft, but seems to me there might be a number of decent young FA receivers out there drawn to the possibility to commanding more targets in Detroit than they could get anywhere else. The true elites will get major dollars thrown at them and can aspire to join a contender. But I hope the Lions can make hay with that large tier of young, promising wannabes looking for breakout opportunities.

As miserable as this year has been, w/health there’s a distinct possibility that next year the Lions will field a strong, possibly dominant O-line, a strong run game, a QB who can be very good with consistent protection - and STILL the league’s weakest receiver corps. Again, that’s potentially a nice sitch for talented-but-still-unproven WR’s looking to make a name.

1 Like

well, I may be the young kid here-approaching 50 and all, but my behind has to be up bright and early to have my daughter to her job, at least the next few days, including tommorrow…so I hate to not stay up and snarf pizza and party hearty, but duty calls !

What “trained assassins” will or should we be looking at next year?

I don’t want to pay more than12 for a FA WR an he has to be young. Resign Reynolds for few years draft a couple an add a 10 mil FA don’t tie up big money look around league you have guys that cephus was doing better until he got hurt.

The ideas are fine but they are same ones Lions have had for years. The Bears WR is getting up there an how many games has he played this year.

How many throws does he get an could another make the catch?

I see guys tonight who make big money drop an every Sunday.

I want depth but you can get it without carrying big money deals.

This should’ve been priority 1 headed into this season. Surrounding Goff with a AAA WR core has done nothing but let him off the hook. I honestly believe that was plan. The justification for having him be our starter for the next 2 seasons.

I have confidence it changes this offseason. We will have 2 new starters at the position after the 2022 draft and Free agency.

I can get behind Gallup being our FA signing at WR.
I see the potential there. I just don’t think he’s gonna be cheap like some suggest. I don’t see a scenario where he doesn’t get 15m+ per. And if we are gonna spend that, I think we should aim higher. Just my preference and opinion. He would be a really good fallback if we are unable to sign Mike Williams or Allen Robinson.

Now if Our FA “splash” is Christian Kirk or DJ Chark, that would be disappointing for me personally.

Any FA we sign is going to get a bigger contract then he is worth. That’s how FA works.

1 Like

:exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head:

1 Like

That’s not necessarily true.

Outside free agents tend to get top-of-market deals for their skill sets. Sure, that makes it way tougher to get a “bargain”, but it’s very possible to get a guy who plays up to his contract or slightly beyond.

Not every signing needs to be off of the clearance rack. The whole point of purging bad contracts and getting cap available for this year was to… wait for it… use said cap space to sign good players. Just like the draft, the key is making the right choices for the right reasons.

If we give a slight overpay to Robinson or Gallup and the guy comes in, produces, and is synergistic with Hock, Swift, Cephus, St. Brown, and whatever rookie we likely draft, who cares about a million or two of Sheila’s money one way or the other? Big contracts are only bad contracts if the guy isn’t producing.

1 Like