Willis Pro Day

Jamarcus had a terrible work ethic, was not the brightest guy, wasn’t a leader at all, and packed it in as soon as he got paid. He even admitted as much after he was out of the NFL and he was trying to get back in.

Malik is the type of guy players would gravitate towards and love to play with. His personality reminds me a bit of Stafford, honestly. A soft spoken guy that doesn’t want all the attention, but a guy his teammates would do anything for.

Throw in the fact that he appears like a really smart guy, and has a tremendous work ethic on top of his physical ability.

Willis is a gamble no doubt, but I think he has the attributes that can turn a franchise into a 15 year+ contender.

3 Likes

I feel like Willis could be as electric as prime Vick with a better head on his shoulders if he reaches his potential. Admittedly, I haven’t watched A LOT of film on him yet. But I definitely like his skill set. I also think the lions are in a great spot to let him sit and develop as well.

It’s hard not to be super intrigued by the combination of his arm and his athleticism.

2 Likes

If they draft Willis and keep Goff… they will pay him $10.625 million in NEW money for 2022.
The rest of that “cap hit” is already spent… and can’t be changed in any way.

If the plan is to play Willis in 2023… the question boils down to whether you would rather pay Goff $10.625 million for 1 year… or sign somebody like Andy Dalton, Cam Newton, or Fitzmagic for 2022 get the trade compensation for Goff now… rather than waiting.

If the Lions waited until 2023 in that scenario…. they really have to hope Goff has a good enough to improve his value.

1 Like

Not a hater at all. I just want all those other picks!!! I think he looks as good as other QBs in prior drafts. But does he look like some legend that won a bunch of national championships, was unguardable against the SEC, and a Heisman winner? That’s the pedigree for the top pics in my opinion. If he is not a stone cold lock, and someone is going to trade you picks as if he is, then you do it and go get a QB next year, if you need to.

2 Likes

Interesting that the Panthers had all their big decision makers at the pro day. They have the number 6 pick. Feels like you gotta get in front of the Panthers if you want Willis.

None of these guys fit that criteria. The top 5 (maybe even more) seem to be interchangeable. Especially considering we don’t have a need at OT

IMO, with a 2nd year in this system, having trust in the players around him, and the players we have added, Goff will have more trade value after the 2022 season. I also think if we drafted Willis he would be better served sitting behind a capable starter year 1.

1 Like

Or that they want everyone to think that.

1 Like

I agree he has got a great personality (so far from what I’ve seen).

I also agree he is a reach.

I won’t be super angry if we draft him but they better be right.

4 Likes

His agent definitely believes in the old theory that “if I just keep letting this guy throw balls in shorts and t-shirt and do nothing else some fool is going to draft him.”

4 Likes

I agree on most of those counts–I think he would be a good leader. I have doubts about his consistency, so I don’t think I would personally draft him, but if Holmes is up for it, I trust him.

Jamarcus didn’t get a ton of “he’s lazy” before that draft, though. I remember that coming out during his rookie year.

I love how everyone is going crazy over a qb throwing a deep ball wearing shorts. The only thing that counts is his game film, I bet David Blough can look amazing with no defense and throwing long passes down the field.

2 Likes

I don’t believe this is correct. From what I can tell of his contract numbers (and it’s like reading Ikea assembly directions in the original Swedish), we could net around a million in cap space if we could get somebody to take on Goff’s existing contract–highly unlikely–but releasing him would accelerate a ton of dead money.

From a Birkett article last fall:

Jared Goff
should have two seasons to prove he is a quarterback the Detroit Lions can build around.

The Lions strengthened their commitment to Goff on Wednesday by doing a simple contract restructure. ESPN reported the Lions converted $20 million of Goff’s $25.65 million base salary this fall into a signing bonus.

That moves frees up $15 million in present day cap space — the $20 million bonus is prorated for cap purposes over the four years left on Goff’s contract — and gives the Lions enough room to sign their draft class and handle any moves that might arise during the season.

It also would leave the Lions with a large dead money cap hit of $15 million should they want to move on from Goff after this season.

Another post-restructure rundown:

How long are the Lions stuck with Jared Goff?

The Rams gave Goff an ill-fated contract extension in September of 2019. This is literally the first year of that four-year, $134 million deal, with cap numbers north of $30 million each of the next three years (via Over The Cap). The Lions restructured his contract in March, converting a big chunk of his 2021 base salary into signing bonus while transferring $5 million in cap charges to each year from 2022-2024.

As Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press noted, if the Lions had left Goff’s contract untouched they could’ve traded him without a cap charge before a $15.5 million roster bonus is due next March. Instead, they transferred some financial commitment to subsequent years to open up cap space in this cap-reduced year.

Goff carries a $31.15 million cap hit for 2022, with $10 million in injury guaranteed salary becoming fully guaranteed on March 19. Cutting him prior to June 1 is a non-starter, with $30.5 million in dead money (according to Over The Cap), with a post-June 1 cut “dropping” the dead money to $20.5 million.

The far easier out, as cited by Spotrac, is in 2023. Cutting Goff before June 1, 2023 would leave behind $10 million in dead money, and clear $20.65 million in cap space. The dead money falls to $5 million on a post-June 1 cut.

If another team wanted to trade for Goff, the Lions would take on $15 million in dead money in 2022 with $16.15 million in cleared cap space (before June 1, according to Over The Cap). In 2023, a trade would carry the same cap ramifications as a cut before or after June 1. Never say never, but the Lions aren’t going to trade Goff before the Nov. 2 trade deadline. Not that another team would especially want him, knowing they’d be essentially stuck with him next year.

Here’s a visual:

As of last week, Goff’s 2022 base is fully guaranteed. So if we traded him, his new team would be on the hook for like $26 million in salary this year, with the option to keep him next year for another $25 million. (So not super attractive, I’d expect.)

After his roster bonus was paid on 3/17, we were on the hook for an additional 15.5mil even if we trade him. Prior to that date, we could have traded him and the other team would have been on the hook for that money. That roster bonus was guaranteed so if he was cut we would’ve had to pay it regardless.

We are currently on the hook for that 15.5mil roster bonus, and 15mil in contract restructures (5mil due in each of 2022, 2023, and 2024). As of 3/17, we are also on the hook for 10mil of his base salary in an injury guarantee. That puts us on the hook for 30.5mil whether he is on the roster or not in 2022. His total cap hit this season is 31.15mil.

The only thing that is a little unclear to me is the injury guarantee. From my understanding, we can still cut him and not have to pay that guarantee if he can pass a physical. Someone who knows this slightly better may be able to correct me if I am wrong.

If we traded him, we would still have to pay the 15.5mil roster bonus. Below is from overthecap on his injury guarantee. Even if it isn’t for injury only, it would transfer if he was traded.

Jared Goff signed a 4 year extension with the Los Angeles Rams on September 6, 2019. The extension is worth $134 million in new money over 4 years. We are estimating Goff to receive $57,042,682 fully guaranteed at signing. The full guarantee consists of a $25 million signing bonus, guaranteed salaries in 2019 & 2020, and a practical (guaranteed ~three days after signing) $21 million roster bonus in 2020. Goff has injury guarantees in salary in 2021 of $25 million and $10 million in 2022. The $25 million injury guarantee in 2021 will vest into a full guarantee (likely in 2020, but date is unknown). Goff has yearly roster bonuses due in 2022-2024.

yep… the $15.5 million roster bonus hit Goff’s bank account last Thursday…. it is money spent at this point in time.

1 Like

40 time? vertical? broad? Bueller?

If we pick him ….

I also wonder about the following scenario:

Goff plays his ass off for a few years and we then use Millie as possible trade bait later of the price is right…

Similar imho to love drafted and now sitting forever behind AR…

with the lack of any elite players at the top, this doesn’t seem that bad as the timing seems right to take a risk with the second picks where as normally it’s a done deal before hand…

Even if it’s a Different QB we take…. This could still work out

High 4.2’s. I’ve explained this to you in other threads.

Who cares for a quarterback?

Who cares for a quarterback?