Willis Pro Day

I care if I’m drafting him. And I’m asking for a real 40 time, not your GPS jacket.
Who has refused this before? Stafford was basically a consensus 1st overall pick and ran it.
His vertical was 30.5" Not great but at least he showed up.

Right @detroit1811, but I’m not getting where that adds up to a $650k cap savings if we release or trade him? Honestly, I’m an English major, not a math guy, so this rabbit hole is making my head hurt–and likely moot anyway. Goff isn’t going anywhere. But I’m curious how you arrive at that figure.

Maybe it’s time for @DeadStroke to set me straight?

fast.
high.
long.

Matthew Broderick Dancing GIF

And guess what? You’re not drafting him. Analytics man Brad is drafting him, and considering he referenced Jermar Jefferson’s 3rd highest telemetry play speed among running backs in last year’s draft, it’s clear he’s more into GPS times too.

Valuing the 40 is outdated and unnecessary. Every NFL team has picked up on that, and trains their guys to hit higher MPH’s on a laser instead of 40 times. I’ve got a friend who has connections to an NFL strength program and this is the exact way they do it at this team. Given Brad’s analytical nature, I suspect we do too.

If the 40 mattered so much @socko, then why don’t NFL teams get olympic sprinters to play football?

Life experiment: Can a mediocre tier 2 QB get picked in the top 5 by solely throwing balls in shorts and t-shirt to adoring crowd?

The world awaits the answer.

5 Likes

the 2 fastest QBs currently in the NFL did not run the 40 yard dash, jump, or bench press at the combine or their pro day.

That’s why they have 10 yard split. They can even overlay video of 3 guys for comparison. Sure beats the jacket.

I don’t care what he runs, I know he’s fast, but this seems VERY aggressive. He’s not the fastest guy coming into the league. In fact I’m not sure his long speed’s all that great, but he’s very quick and explosive in short areas. I know his MPH testing was high, but like I said a number of times, Daniel Jones was the fastest MPH QB clocked in 2019 and his 40 was 4.8.

2 Likes

Maybe he would have passed for more than 11 yards if he wasn’t so busy trying to register a high number with his GPS jacket. The other guys were trying to throw passes in the the endzone.

I am shocked that Willis performed so well in a situation where he was running 3/4 speed, without pressure, with scripted plays, and no one in coverage!

Gimme all the smokescreens!

Renaldo Nehemiah on line one…

I think the Raiders tried/did it at least once.

1 Like

Will you please just watch the game to see how many passes he had called back because of penalties and how many times he was just running for his life? He was actually one of the team’s best players, but you wouldn’t know that if you didn’t watch it.

Hell Russell Westbrook would’ve been the best NBA player of the last decade if you just cared about box scores.

I watched most of it. Stephenboyd57 posted a link of it.

So by high 4.2’s, I meant like 4.28, not 4.23 or something. Just to clarify.

And no it’s not aggresive at all. Take the GPS times of everyone and compare them.

Which is why 40’s mean absolutely nothing.

Then I guess I’ll just end with everyone is entitled to their own opinions, so I’ll agree to disagree.

I don’t think we are going to cut or trade Goff, so it’s kind of irrelevant to me. But:

2021 2022 2021
Cash Paid Cap Hit Cap Hit Cap Savings
Cut Pre June 1 26,150,000 41,150,000 - (9,350,000)
Cut Post June 1 26,150,000 31,150,000 10,000,000 650,000
Trade Pre June 1 15,500,000 25,500,000 - 650,000
Trade Post June 1 15,500,000 15,500,000 10,000,000 10,650,000

The $650K comes into play because that’s the current Non-Guaranteed portion of his base salary, the other $10M is guaranteed.

1 Like

If the 40s mean absolutely nothing, then wouldn’t that mean they DON’T correlate with the MPH? Which means guessing Willis’s time based on it is essentially impossible.

Jamarcus couldn’t stay off the sizzzzzurp on top of everything else.

1 Like

I’ve watched a couple of Willis’ games and I just don’t see what people are so excited about. He looks like the best athlete on the field at a small school. You could use him like New Orleans used Hill, more of a gimmick than a real QB.

I could see taking him in the 3rd if he’s available but the #2 overall talk is crazy. He’s not NFL starter material.

1 Like

It’s ironic watching old skool people try to make sense of modern tools available to us. First it’s “I don’t care how he looks in the underwear Olympics, I only care about what he puts on film!” Ok fair enough, well his film shows he’s as fast as NFL QB per gps tracking.” I don’t care about that crap, I wanna see him run in his underwear or I can’t make an opinion!!

:sweat_smile::joy::innocent:

1 Like