Willis Pro Day

I think you keep Goff around until you’re 110% sure Willis is ready. That may take a couple years. In the meantime keep building up the roster. Get Willis some playing time here and there. When he’s ready to be a starter hopefully the roster rebuild will be complete.

The better he looks the better it is for us. I think the coaching staff really believes in Goff. So let another team trade up for him. Hopefully Seattle.

2 Likes

There’s a critical piece of all of this that you’re leaving out. The percentage intensity that someone runs their GPS time at. Daniel Jones could’ve found a way to run at 90% or 95% intensity in the game, which would be remarkable, but also would give you about the 4.8 time he ran in the combine.

Think of it like this…

If you’ve got someone running 20 mph at 85% intensity and someone running 19 at 80% intensity, who has a higher top speed?

My rough estimate of Malik’s 24.15 mph top speed was done using the 85% translation from football to the 40. He could’ve been running at 95% intensity, which is unlikely, but would put his top speed at a 21.61, or a 4.7 ish 40.

Willis could’ve ran a 4.5. Who knows? Maybe you’re right, but based off of the research and sprinting expert charts that I’ve seen, they say he would’ve been in 4.28 territory.

The only way to measure power would be through a sensor that doesn’t exist yet. It is possible for weighted exercises on a barbell. My strength coach buddy has some of those and uses them to track bar velocity and overall power output.

Or…. one of the best athletes on the field when 2 top SEC teams play…

the only guy who gets close to him… was Brandon Bryant… who was kind of known for his speed.

The game tape is always the most important. And Willis’s game tape is not very good. The combine is about assessing athletic ability. This is not accomplished on the football field. This is a standardized controlled test. You can say it’s not useful, but many of us disagree.

If he wanted to play RB in NFL I might consider taking him in the 2nd round. If he insists on playing QB then I wouldn’t consider him until the 3rd.

1 Like

I hope we keep hearing more stuff about Willis to the Lions at 2. It only strengthens the possibility of a trade up especially from a team like the Falcons that has the #8 pick and multiple 2nds.

OR the Lions take him at 2 which I’m sort of, kind of, warming up to.

1 Like

I don’t think Justin Fields touches him as a thrower.

Last year the Niners gave up three 1st round and a 3rd round pick to move up to Three and take Trey Lance. Kinda makes you think Willis going @ 2 is a real possibility

3 Likes

Especially because our price won’t be nearly as high.

Lance was the better prospect. The guy had zero interceptions in his final college season and is quite a bit taller.

At this point, I’d take Atlanta’s #8 pick and two 2nds if it was offered. That’s if Holmes wasn’t all in on taking Willis himself. It just seems like a situation where the Lions can potentially cash in on the hype either way.

1 Like

Didn’t Willis leave a power school for a much less challenging collegiate situation, even admitting his work ethic wasn’t up to par?
Game film is always a better gage than these workout #'s. Happens every year.

Dwayne Haskins has all the tools.
So does Sam Darnold. Etc.

They dont run like he does? OK. Is that why ges going to get drafted? Perhaps. Not buying it.

I hope another team does!

1 Like

Agreed and I think Willis has rare arm talent. But he’s also inconsistent as a passer. But with NFL coaching you’d think they could work with a talent like that and make him dangerous.

Willis has such a nice deep ball as well. I feel like that is important in todays NFL.

I hope so. Imagine having 3 firsts next year.

1 Like

nothing different then any other QB from any other draft on their pro day…

I think his accuracy issues can be corrected with proper footwork. The kid is going to be a baller.

1 Like

He’s clearly avoiding running a 40 for a reason. It has to be a mediocre time and he doesn’t want it to risk hurting him. I think Simms is correct on that. He’s a good runner because he has a strong build and is patient with his blocks, but I doubt he’s the fastest guy in the class.

1 Like

Based on the safeties I saw chasing him down I don’t believe he was going to run a great time either. He’s more explosive than fast. It’s really his instincts that will hold him back though IMO, a lot of the great athletes have great instincts on top of great athleticism, they twist and turn at just the right time to leave defenders grappling for air. He doesn’t have it from what I’ve seen.

You do realize Lamar Jackson and Kyler Murray… the 2 fastest QBs in the NFL… never ran a 40 yard dash at the combine or at a pro day…….

season 5 episode 6 GIF by Workaholics

Why do you think he’s not running a 40? Jackson wanted to be considered as a QB only. I don’t know of teams suggesting a position switch for Willis.

It has been suggested here Willis could run a high 4.2. I’m seriously doubting that. It wouldn’t hurt him if he showed it.