With C.J. Stroud injured, Puka Nacua makes last push for offensive rookie of

The oddsmakers place Gibbs (and Bijan) ahead of LaPorta, who is having an historic season.

Article doesn’t even mention LaPorta. I’d put him over Puka.

6 Likes

When a rookie TE gets the name Ditka thrown around it’s pretty special. Still think it’s Stroud and it’s not even close though.

I don’t see how a rookie comes in and sets all kinds of records for his position and still loses to guys who are playing well, but not at all in a way that’s setting new records. Idk…it’s just weird to me

1 Like

To be fair, one of the one’s LaPorta is chasing is yards by a rookie TE. Puke is like 130 yards (don’t quote me, I know he’s close) for yards by a rookie WR.

1 Like

I mentioned this in another thread. There’s nothing historic about Stroud’s season.

Both Nacua & LaPorta are on the verge of setting records for their respective positions.

2 Likes

It’s the QB thing. And for throwing like 500 yards in a game and doesn’t hurt that Houston may make the playoffs.

1 Like

On a per game basis there is. His rookie passing yardage output is almost ten percent beyond any other QB in history. We’ll see how voters deal with the injury issue. Stroud needs to come back, play well and guide the Texans to the playoffs to win it.

LaPorta won’t beat out Nacua even if his season is perhaps even more historically great relative to his position.

1 Like

Agree.

1 Like

If LaPorta were to have a ‘heisman moment’ during the prime time game against Dallas, things could still change.

It’s improbable that he would overtake Stroud or Nacua, but not impossible.

4 Likes

Like another 3 TD game and breaking Ditka’s record before the last game?

2 Likes

If LaPorta got to 13 TDs to break the record, he’d be tied for 4th all-time for a TE:

1 Like

Exactly.

We are all victims of the moment, but it’s particularly bad with the press. If LaPorta is the last one with a huge game, that will make a huge difference.

1 Like

He’d need like a 200 yard receiving game. Something bonkers.

1 Like

I would. SLP has been a stud, and one of the best TEs in football. Thrilled he’s ours. Nacua is just having a statistically better season

WR’s come along every year and put up numbers. But an actual TE is rare and I absolutely do not consider Pitts a TE. Regardless, I’ll be shocked if Stroud doesn’t get it. Just like the MVP will be a QB most likely as well. Hell at one point there was talk of Stroud being the MVP.

Puca is an absolute stud.

Not me. I think that he deserves it whether Stroud is healthy or not.

Because they have more yards than he does.

They literally are producing more

A QB would have more yards almost by definition though. I don’t know. Just seems to me that it’s more impressive to do better than almost anyone ever has at your position as a rookie than to just have a really good yet not historically significant rookie year.

1 Like