Worries with Jalen Carter

Honest question that I am not sure about, maybe someone can answer:

During the time leading up to the draft, are scouts/reps from each team allowed to interview players like Carter whenever one-on-one? Or is that just for combine or pro-day?

I’m just wondering if Holmes and Company will get to know the kid a bit more to make a more educated decision come draft day.

1 Like

Ding! Ding! Ding! When a player doesn’t want to go to bad teams…they do things that some GMs don’t want. Good GMs rely on the tape. If the tape says that he doesn’t work hard…there’s an issue. If you care about testing when the player has solidified themselves as a top pick based on on field performance…You’re likely a bad GM…on a bad team.

1 Like

I mean he’s supposed to be a big strong guy no? No bench press?

Sus.

1 Like

Yep. Since we restructured Harris, looks like Romeo may be the odd man out. So the way this seems to be shaking out is 3 QB’s and 1 position player goes (Anderson). Whoever ends up with 5OA will be the lynchpin. If they take the #4QB then it’s probably standing pat and taking Wilson. If one of the top 4 QB’s falls to us, then we’re ripe for a TD, as that likely means that both Anderson and Wilson go and we don’t have the appetite for Carter’s potential turd problem. Post TD, Spoon and Bijan are in play as we’d have given ourselves a bit of a luxury pick with the addition of a starting bean in the trade.

3 Likes

Pretty easy if he cut weight for the combine, say like 5 lbs and then actually gained 5.

3 Likes

I’m out on Carter. Don’t need the distraction to the team.

1. Bryce Young
  2. Christian Gonzales
  3. Peter Skoronski

I might take Skoronski over Gonzales as I like Deonte Banks just about as much as Gonzales and I can get him at 18. There is no Peter at 18.

If we don’t get Bryce, my favorite option is trading a QB to a different team and acquiring picks.

2 Likes

But why would you cut weight for the combine and then put it back on a couple weeks later when you know you are going to be weighed yet again? Either he’s too dumb to not realize this, or too undisciplined to manage his weight like a professional. Either way it’s concerning.

2 Likes

Hey, no idea why he would do this. But it definitely can be done, I didn’t say it was smart :joy:

1 Like

This feels right to me.

To us, it’s a headline. To him, his life is on the line.

If I put myself in that situation, I’d go catatonic with anxiety. He’s, what, 21 years old? I’m not sure evaluating him in this context is appropriate. And yes, that is also a good enough reason to pass on him.

9 Likes

Based on what I’ve been reading recently about Carter (drag racing, driving 100 on a 35mph college town street, leaving the scene of a fatal car crash, the way he handled the combine and now this pro day), he does not seem to be… uh… what you’d call a “strategic thinker.” I doubt this is part of a well crafted plan to get picked by a team he likes more.

9 Likes

This is it. I was soooo geeked when we drafted Fairley–in his biggest college games, the guy literally took over, dominated, was the best player on the field. As he proved, if you’re a headcase, it’s irrelevant how much talent you have, your NFL team will never see it.

3 Likes

And at least Fairley was productive on the field. Carter can’t even say that.

1 Like

read Kent’s take on it based on Nagy’s tweet. It just a hard pass fellas. He says more in his comments.

5 Likes

And didn’t finish his workout today… this guy might not go in the first round

5 Likes

Him or Skor.

2 Likes

Yeah I doubt he is even on the board now. Gain 9 pounds in 2 weeks and pass on testing then quit on drill #turdalert

5 Likes

it’s almost like we have been saying that…for a minute. :crazy_face:

Just Saying Jersey Shore GIF by Jersey Shore Family Vacation

5 Likes

These young guys don’t think for themselves. Well, besides the drag racing. His agent advised him not to work out at the Combine. I would bet money that the agent advised him to not test everything at his pro day. Because he’s a potential top 5 pick…He will likely do private workouts for the top teams looking for his services. This is not at all, uncommon.

1 Like

Carter decided to take part in only positional drills, but struggled to finish. He was reportedly “cramping up and breathing heavily,” per Schlabach.

I noticed in the OSU game he looked real gassed as well. Dude is clearly not in shape.

3 Likes

Being 9 pounds heavier is not a big deal at all. One of the tricks used at the combine is that you don’t eat or drink for 24hrs in order to weigh in at the combine to be at a lighter weight. That’s likely why he didn’t test. The lighter guys gain 10 lbs by drinking a gallon of water before weighing in.

This combine, testing, pro-day stuff is a chess match. The only thing that truly matters is what happens between the white lines on Saturdays and Sundays. For those who are not athletes, everything is crucial. Believe me…none of this stuff matters to those who evaluate players. Stop listening to guys who never played or evaluated like journalists. They have more access that us. But they don’t know as much as you think.

I’d pay attention to guys who have been scouts like, I think: Jeff Driscoll, Lombardi and some others. Or maybe former players like a Chris Simms or Braylon Edwards. Those guys are looking for something. And they have access.

1 Like