Woula, Coulda, Shoulda?

With all the controversy over the trades and picks by the Lions, I went back to see what I would’ve done, without trades. Using hindsight, of course, and no speculation…just using the way it actually fell and the players that were available at the time of the pick.
Mine:
6. Bijan Robinson, RB (bigger and better than Gibbs, but at the cost of not getting that #34 pick
18.Deonte Banks, CB (Better pure corner than Branch.)
48. Keeanu Benton, DT (gives us a much better DL)
55. O’Cyrus Torrence, OG (super roadgrader for the super RB)

Actual:
12. Jahmyr Gibbs, RB
18. Jack Campbell, ILB
34. Sam LaPorta, TE
45. Brian Branch, S/CB
68. Hendon Hooker, QB

Honestly, I’m not sure which I like better now that I compare them.

3 Likes

NFL data analytics rates our draft #1, as well as several big names.
The usual suspects reinterpret the data and twist it to their preconceived draft opinions and say it was as low as C+.
We’ll see in September.
My money is on the Lions.

7 Likes

Seen everything from A+ to C-. As wide open as all the mocks. Way to stay consistent Talking Heads!

4 Likes

I wasn’t thrilled with every pick as they happened in real time. But after the fact, I LOVED all of our first 5 players. So how can I not love the draft?

I can be quite reactionary…but usually when I take a moment and think about it, the truth sets in. I still can’t really get behind giving up 3 day 3 picks for the guy we took, but if that’s the only gripe I have with the draft, I think they did awesome!

I would rather of kept the 5 day 3 picks and seen what we came up with tho. With BHs wizardry on day 3, I don’t like losing all that ammo.

5 Likes

Chances are real good there will be meltdowns after the final cut, without the two extra picks.

I understand that for sure. And I’m not saying that I wanted to draft 10 players. But it sure sounds like Detroit didn’t have to worry about losing Martin before their 4th round pick. And if they just wait a little bit, they could’ve used just one pick to trade up to get him.

Like I said it’s kind of being too nit picky on my part. I don’t think you should ever come away with more than 8-9 players in any draft. I’m quality (your guys) over quantity all day.

1 Like

Is that on NFL.com? I’d like to see it. I love anyone who says nice things about the Lions. :cowboy_hat_face: :cowboy_hat_face: :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

The link is buried in one of the draft day threads.
Try searching analytics data on this site.

1 Like

I think it would have looked more like

#6. Gibbs
#18 Campbell

To me, everything points to the Lions being all in on those guys

edit: cannot get the 18 to post

edit edit: It kept changing to “7” like it was a list. Couldn’t find a way into html to edit

Thanks

try using the “#” symbol before the number…
@Lyonfan1 may notice the same thing…

1 Like

Still don’t understand why we didn’t build up our number of 2024 picks.

Could be we didn’t have the chance. I have a hunch many teams were hoarding their picks in that draft.

1 Like

Agree 100%.
When I look at the top five picks I see the value and how 4 of the 5 can be a major contributor to this roster on day one.
BH kept his foot on the gas with the offense and did the majority of work on defense in FA.

2 Likes

A big part of that will be if Martin and Sordsal become the next late round gems… If they have an impact similar to Houston and Rodrigo in their first years, you’ll prefer this class by miles.

1 Like

Sorry you’re having edit problems. You really think they’d have taken Gibbs at 6 instead of Bijan, or is that part of the edit problem?

1 Like

Yes. Either that or the gap between Gibbs and Robinson was so small that they were okay with sacrificing it.

Everything they did was too deliberate and Robinson was not getting out of the top ten. They weren’t trading down to get a guy in a lesser bucket.

I would take this in a second. Fit our needs better too. Missing out on Benton was a tough one for me, especially seeing what we got to move up to the end of the 3rd round. I also really enjoy having Jack Campbell in the fold. I am telling and have been telling folks, he is gonna be a big deal for us.

1 Like

yeah…. I agree… it was obvious most teams didn’t want to give up 2024 picks….

BUT…. anyone loving the Eagles drsft right now will be reminded of this next year….

and Cynthia Frelund (:grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:) has been bragging up the Texans for moving up for Will Anderson…. and they gave up a pick that could be a game changer!!!

1 Like

Arizona could end up with the 1st and 2nd pick next year, could you imagine? I can’t remember the last time that’s happened.

1 Like

I really like our overall team speed. Gibbs has that in spades over Bijan. Even the new TE is a speedster. When Jamo comes back I don’t see how teams are going to cover us.

I think Goff and BJ are already putting together an arsenal of explosive plays

1 Like