Would you do this trade?

If he doesn’t have more success with the 49ers soon, they may cut bait with him. While he does a lot better than most, he has some major holes in his coaching game too…

2 Likes

I wouldn’t call Jimmy G an upgrade. I think both quarterbacks need help around them. Goff is a little bit better than Jimmy G In my opinion.

1 Like

So we replace one overpaid mediocre QB for another and trade a “ magic bean “ to make it happen? That’s a hard pass for me.

1 Like

Pass it like a kidney stone - brutal.

Trade for a 31 year old injury prone QB who is due to make $25.6M on the final year of his deal in 2022? Not sure I see the logic in that.

The logic is that the best quarterback is always the one you don’t have…

5 Likes

LOL

That’s why I dropped this idea…. I’m not that smart :crazy_face:

Here is a good breakdown of how Jimmy G is doing. Missing the easy stuff but does have some arm talent:

1 Like

A lot of truth in that statement. How many teams fans in the NFL are actually happy and satisfied with their current QB!? Maybe 5? 10 at most.

Even Russel Wilson has been struggling recently. Big Ben looks over the hill. Baker struggling. Stafford struggling recently. Daniel Jones is regressing. Not many teams feeling great about their QB’s right now.

2 Likes

My first thought is the Saints?! They seem worse off today then when Drew retired….

2 Likes

The Winston injury was tough on them for sure. He was looking much improved from his Bucs days.

Now they are playing musical chairs @ QB with Semien and Hill. Winston was 5-2 as a starter. They have lost 4 straight since his injury.

1 Like

The Steelers really could be a target. They have the offense and the pass rush, and can then deploy draft assets to the OL. They have a big # coming off the books with Ben being done, and can support Goff with a strong run game, a solid TE room and catch and run receivers.

We eat a $15M dead cap, but save $16M off the 2022 cap number of $31M
Steelers pay his $15.5M roster bonus and restructure his $10M salary down so his 2022 cap hit is around $20M. Big Ben has a dead cap number of $10.3K. His 2021 Cap hit was $25K so they are in the ballpark of being cap neutral at QB YoY for 22 and ahead for 23+ if they stick with him. Still allows them to take a developmental QB and sit for a year.

What would you take from the Steelers for Goff? I’d ask for a 2nd and a conditional 2nd/3rd the year after and be ok wit hthem squeezing us a bit on one of those picks.

No disrespect, but we would be lucky to get a 7th rounder right now, especially with his insane contract. If Goff plays extremely well the next 6 games, that would increase his value, but nobody wants him right now with what he’s put on film.

I hope he proves me wrong and plays great down the stretch.

1 Like

The results warrant that comp, but I think Holmes can sell that they knew they were putting him in a sketch situation in camp and then the wheels came off the offense with Ragnow/Decker/Williams/Perriman/Cephus and now Swift being hurt.

I am with you 100% on this. At this point I would give Goff away to get out of the cap space that is owed to him. If we get anything of value in return that is a win for us. Goff is clearly not a long term answer and is he any better then a veteran stop-gap like Fitzpatrick, Bridgewater, Winston, Mariota, and hell I would even consider Gardner Minshew. Would much rather pay those guys a lot less and not have any long term committments.

I realize we would still eat dead money, but we would save about 15mil by trading him.

1 Like

What about
Trying to trace for Lance

If Jimmy takes niners all the way ?

Posing Fashion Show GIF by Laff

I don’t think so, Tim.

Seriously, if they were willing to take his 26.5 million off our hands, I’d trade for a 7th round compensatory pick.

1 Like

There is no way. They gave up way to much for Lance to even consider trading him at this point. I for one loved his upside and think he is going to develop into a really good QB, but this is not an option IMO.

agreed.

If the 49ers win a Super Bowl with Jimmy G… they will just keep him and Lance in 2022.

The 2 of them cost less per year than Mahomes, Dak, Watson, Rodgers, and Russ… and Jimmy G is only under contract thru 2022. They aren’t gonna extend him for big bucks even if they win the Lombardi.