Would you like Kenneth Walker if we traded down?

running the ball in general is going to wear the defense down. It’s the Oline coming at you vs dropping back

the key for the offense is to convert a commitment to run into field position ball control and points

4 Likes

The difference is the the titans are a better run blocking unit, and based on a power run scheme, minny is not. The Titans excel at run blocking with a lead, Minny does not.

Also when looking at yards after contact it becomes clear you don’t need to be 260, to be at or near the top.

For example Emitt Smith was hardly a big back.

1 Like

It is getting difficult to keep up with the pivots here…. but I shall do my best.

Sure… Titans offensive line is bigger.
However, this whole convo was based on the RB wearing people out late in games.

After defenses get a little tired and beat up… there are clips of players making “business decisions” against Derrick Henry late in games.
I could dig them up… but I think we all know what I am saying here. They did the same against AP when he was with Vikings.

Back to that Vikings O line… they may not be the same power scheme as Titans, but they still outweigh the average D line guys and is takes a toll. AP ran for 2000 yards as a Viking, and not 1 of his O line guys that year EVER made a pro bowl. Most of them were not power guys either.

And then…… the next pivot to Emmitt Smith.

Emmitt ran for more yards in the 1st quarter than he did any other quarter, and the least yards in the 4th quarter of any quarter. He didn’t need to wear anyone down, because that O line just knocked people off the ball as soon as they got off the bus.

1 Like

The point is, and I mentioned it earlier, a 210+ lb back who’s fresh still wears a D out, in part do to the Oline. I can also point out numerous backs under 260 that you can see DBs making “business” decisions. It’s easy to find.

The entire point, simply stated, is wearing down the D in the 2nd half does not require a 260 lb unicorn at rb. You take a fresh 210+ lb rb vs a tired 260 lb rb and you’ll do better. A fresh Swift and Walker accomplishes that.

3 Likes

Good to know. I hope they are looking to improve all areas. Guessing they are. With our OL, RB becomes a bigger boost than it would have been in past years. I’m on board w/it if it’s what brad thinks is best.

1 Like

Cooks yd/a by quarter
1st 4.8
2nd 4.5
3rd 5.0
4th 4.7

Pretty consistent actually. The yardage drop off could be due to actual attempts being lower in the 4th. 107 less than any quarter.

Half vs half, his ypa is higher in the second half, 4.7 vs 4.8.

1 Like

Titans also have a weird Oline in that they have the biggest disparity in the league between their run block grades and pass block grades. They are good at opening run lanes but not so much protecting the QB

2 Likes

On run plays, the OL gets to trounce people. Our OL, combined with a power back that is running into smaller humans at the 2nd and 3rd levels of the defense would wear them down.
This is a big part of why I wanted J-will so badly. He lead the league in Average Yards after contact and broken tackles, if memory serves me correctly.

2 Likes

Perhaps the reason his carries are down in the 2nd half is that he is the guy getting “worn down”… and NOT the defense.

How many games has Cook left with injuries?

Or they’re resting him. Playing with a lead? It’s not like bigger backs don’t get injured. Henry just missed a huge chunk of the season.

That is actually NOT the point.

This entire discussion started in response to the post below… DIRECTLY comparing Walker to Henry.
It clearly suggests that a 210 pound Walker can have a similar impact to Derrick Henry… in the very specific manner of 1 RB wearing a defense down as the “game progresses”.

To be clear… I am not really a proponent of giant RBs.
I prefer to have a good rotation of RBs.
I also don’t believe in using top draft picks for RBs.

These are all contributing reasons why taking Walker in the 2nd round is a terrible idea IMO.
Even if the Lions were to draft a RB in round #2… I would rather do it when the team is on the brink of being a legit playoff contender to maximize the rookie contract.

And I still feel that way. You don’t.

I don’t see the issue as you don’t want the Lions to select him, I don’t think the Lions will either.

The balance is our opinions. Neither to be proven right or wrong in the end as he isn’t most probably going to be a Lion.

I enjoy the discussion though. Thx.

1 Like

Cook is a stud. So shifty and hard to tackle. If he could stay healthy for a full season, I think he could be a 2000 yard back. He had almost 1600 yards rushing in 2020 and missed a couple games. Wish he wasn’t in the NFC North. The Vikings have had so many great RB’s. AP, Cook and Robert Smith were all studs.

1 Like

Agreed about weight not really being the cause… just making a little jab about Cook’s long list of significant injuries.

EDIT: will also say I worried about Henry’s height being a concern for injuries in the NFL… as I thought he might take a lot of shots to the knees. He has stayed healthier than I predicted he would.

1 Like

Javonte is 5’10, 220 lbs…and a giant pain in the ass to tackle.
That stuff wears on ppl both physically and emotionally.
Imagine the look on Apollo Creed’s face, when Rocky kept getting up, and getting up, and getting up at the end of the fight in Rocky II.

At some point, ppl are just like “…daaaamn, I’ve had enough…nevermind.”

1 Like

I think his point was wearing down a D. Henry comes from the same type of system Campbell is implementing here. So his point stands. Haskins for the Wolverines was that guy at UM. It’s every bit as much about how hard a guy runs as it is size. J. Williams in Denver, for example.

As to when to draft a rb. I don’t agree in the slightest. J.Taylor led the league in rushing. You don’t get him in rd 5.

We are a power run team. That puts greater emphasis on Oline and RB. Walker strengthens our run game. Walker takes some wear and tear off Swift, Walker protects the offensive philosophy should Swift go down again, as he does get nicked up, Walker paired with Swift keeps the pressure on the D when Swift is taking a breather, something Williams does not do. He doesnt scare the D. Walker has homerun ability like Swift.

So I absolutely see the logic, agree with it, if thats what they do. I do see bigger needs, but taking a player for positional need over a better player and improving a strength, especially the strength our offensive philosophy is based on, makes a ton of sense.

1 Like

And J-Will will be on the last year of his deal. I wouldn’t be shocked the Lions take a running back at some point in the draft. I guess it really depends on how Duce Staley and B. Holmes feel about Netflix and Jefferson. Are they just good depth or do they actually believe they could be impact running backs. We saw flashes from both of them this year. Very small sample size though.

1 Like

I’ll go a bit further. With the system the Lions seem to want to run, you want three capable RBs. You want that third guy to be able to come in and there to be little to no drop off. It’s the cumulative affect of the bashing as well as the individual back that comes into play.

Right now they have Swift, Williams, and Reynolds. Williams is entering the last year of his deal. I think Walker 3 would make a great replacement for Williams. Can do what he does and more.

As I’ve said before and in every thread I talk about Walker 3, I do not believe the Lions will draft him. Too many other needs and talent available at those spots where they would need to select him. I don’t see Walker lasting until the third. Most probably not even the mid second.

2 Likes

Exactly, makes it easy to move off Williams and his contract

1 Like

I agree 100%,