Would you like Kenneth Walker if we traded down?

We have 3 picks after the 5th, use one on this guy.

You are stoned my man!

In TEN YEARS- there have been 15 total individual seasons with 17 plus sacks…. Most seasons don’t even have two guys in the league do that!!!

JJ Watt 3 times
TJ Watt ONCE
A Donald Once

Joey Bosa- zero
Myles Garrett- zero
Nick Bosa- zero

So if Romeo and Julian can account for a combined 13 on one side, and Harris-Rookie-Bryant can get 10- 11 on the other- the. We’d have 24 sacks from edge alone…

Getting another 10 from our DL, 4 from LBs and 2 from DBs would put us at 40 and in the top 10 in the league.

The Bengals got 14 from Hendrickson and 7.5 from Hubbard…. Cam Sample had 1.5 so the Bengals got 23 sacks from Edge

The Lions got 17 from Harris, JO, and Bryant…. The big difference was the 14.5 sacks the Bengals got from Hill (free agent), Ogunjobi (free agent) and Reader.

We got 4 from Levi, Alim abs Brockers!!

Drunk Beach GIF

2 Likes

I think our line is much better than our running backs, and our backs benefit from that, to the degree that we overvalue them. When I watch the rest of the nfl, I’m constantly jelous of the burst and speed with which their backs hit the hole. Williams is a tough runner, but he’s just not dangerous, even when there’s a good lane. We’re throwing away yards when he’s in. I’m not sure what the playing time looks like when Swift is fully healthy, but if it features a heavy dose of power, we should absolutely look to upgrade that second option.

I’m a state fan and really like Walker, but don’t really want that investment. He’d have to slide before I’m interested.

1 Like

#1… The QB list shows 8 years of Super Bowl wins by QBs who likely end up in Hall of Fame.
I agree… getting great QB play is almost essential since the rule changes in pas decade have favored the QB and offense.

#2… That RB list proves my point perfectly.
That list has 5 teams that used multiple RBs.

The highest drafted guy (Michel) had only 8 starts because he missed time with a knee injury… further illustrating why RBs shouldn’t be drafted highly in most cases.

And… the fact that Michel, Ajayi, Blount, Fournette, Burkhead, Damien Williams, and Lesean McCoy were top rushers on Super Bowl winners…. after being acquired as free agents for next to nothing… is just the gravy on top.

1 Like

I feel they have been leaving Fox out, because of draft positioning. We’ll probably run a “normal” defense this year too. As we get more competitive, I can see them lining Fox up from the safety position (keep in mind, there’s no film on this yet), in important scenarios where the game is on the line. Basically, add a handful of sacks for the Safety position from Fox, depending on how we use him.

Sort of the defensive equivalent of how he saves the offense. Big 3rd or 4th down play, and the defense needs to get off the field…her he comes…
the avengers hulk GIF

1 Like

I think some refuse to acknowledge what our offense will be. They want a high scoring, pass happy, college spread rpo. Ain’t happening, sorry, but that’s just the way it is.

We will be a offense predicated on running the ball. We need the nasty Oline, and rbs to do that

Walker makes a ton of sense in the mid to late 2nd or 3rd.

Run 1st team. If Swift goes out. Big drop off. Walker allows the offense to run the same. Williams isn’t near the threat of Swift, the Offense isn’t the same without Swift.

So yes, a quality back like Swift, Taylor, Cook make sense. A late rd flyer isn’t the sane type of player and doesn’t allow the offense to run as designed.

1 Like

Running for 1,500 yards would need context for it to be meaningful in terms of judging the “worth” of the back. Teams run for over 1,500 yards regularly. In fact going under 1,500 yards is a sign of a weak running game, or a coaching staff that has abandoned it. The Texans were the lowest rushing team last year with 1,422 yards. Having a single guy get to 1,500 yards is worth “more” if its a guy that defenses fear and a guy that can make big plays. But outside of that, the yardage isn’t that big of a deal. It just means you handed it to 1 guy more times than other teams that are giving their carries to multiple guys and splitting up the 1,500+ yards.

As fans it looks good on paper and we love the idea of a “bell cow” back. But production wise, its not nearly as meaningful as we were raised to think it is.

1 Like

Not to mention one is coming off a massive achilles tear surgery and the other is a free agent. Counting on them to be productive starters would be foolish. Now, if you draft Hutch or Thibs and re-sign Harris. Then we have some depth, don’t have to rush Romeo back from injury and a potentially very good 4 man rotation by mid season. We all know Flowers will be cut.

I’d still like to know where @Lyonfan1 is considering Walker as the pick? Are you talking Walker in the 2nd or 3rd round? If so, then it’s at least possible.

It matters as you say when teams fear the RB. Like Henry. A guy who wears defenses down as the game progresses.

I think Walker will do the same thing in the NFL. Have said that in other threads.

I love Walker. Think he would be a beast in the Lions offense. Don’t think they take him barring a fall to the third or they get extra picks late second. Even then, still unlikely.

2 Likes

Word out of the Phins rumor mill is they are interested in Walker at 20. I don’t see the Lions trading into a value position to take a RB that high in the first

If he were to fall to the 3rd round, I’d be happy drafting him

1 Like

I wouldn’t rule it out. As said, Lions are a running team and Goff is a playaction kind of guy. I think Goff sells the playaction much better than Stafford ever did.

1 Like

“Worth mentioning too: The Rams took at least one running back in all eight drafts that were run by Brad Holmes, now the Lions general manager. That includes two in the first round (Cam Akers and Todd Gurley) and another in the third (Darrell Henderson). Then Holmes added another last year in Detroit, selecting Jefferson in the seventh round despite already signing Williams to a two-year contract in free agency.”

Thought some might find this interesting

3 Likes

Henry = 250+ pounds
Walker III = 210 pounds

I wrote “250+“ because Henry was 247 at the NFL combine, and he looks bigger now.

Here is Henry next to 6’1” and 225 pound AJ Brown…

IMO… Henry might be 260 pounds now.

Here he is next to 234 pound Saquon…

1 Like

A fresh Walker, paired with a fresh Swift can do the same thing. AD wasn’t as big either.

1 Like

for comparison…

And Peterson looks much larger than 210 pound Dalvin Cook… who is almost identical to KW3 size…

Does the 210 lb Dalvin Cook wear defenses down?

What weight does a RB have to be to wear a defense down ?

210 is fine, especially when rotated and fresh with someone who’s just as big a threat. If both get tired you have Williams etc to fill a couole plays. 210+ at full strength hitting a tired lineman or lber is still punishing and exhausting when also trying to fight off blocks

Excellent job making the point without inciting a “that’s what she said” reply. (The struggle is real, LOL.)

I never realized AD dwarfed other RBs.

1 Like

No… he really doesn’t wear defenses down.

I have noticed games when Cook lights it up in the 1st half… and then doesn’t do much as much in the 2nd half. A quick check to examine my initial thoughts… and Cook has less 4th quarter yards than any other quarter, plus his ypc is actually lower late in games with a lead.

On the other hand… Henry has less 1st quarter yards than any other quarter… and his ypc is higher later in games with a lead.

2 Likes