Would You Trade Next Years 3rd

I think for us there are some position specific depth players that will be available later in the draft. After the 3rd, 4th and 5th even into the 6th I bet I’ll be able to find a QB, RB, S, TE/FB and CB that I like and possibly a WR. I hope we look early at DT.OL,CB and LB as I believe there is 3 round talent that will be available although I think DT will be the toughest one to nail down.

1 Like

“14 1st round grades” isn’t really that bad, IMO. Rarely do we hit even 20, some years being in single digits.

80 players total, though, is uniquely low. Good thing our 4th is in the 2nd this year :rofl:

1 Like

What i would consider is dropping down a couple spots with pick 6 if the guys holmes wants are gone. We can pick up possibly a 1st this year and next . Lets keep the multiple 1st rd picks going.trade either Atlanta or Carolina if one of those qbs fall in the draft.

I think that everyone here is hoping for a similar scenario. If Carter is there I would run to the podium, other than that I think we can afford to wait. Take the beans and run. Same rings true for #18. We have to come out of the first with one of the CB’s, beyond that I’m willing to listen.

I don’t like the idea of trading out of 18. If anything I would try to trade up. i am only basing it on past drafts and the kids of players teams ended up with when they traded down later in the 1st round.

1 Like

I understand, it all depends on how much for how far and who is still on the board.

I’d be all over it if we got a 2024 1st in the deal like the Eagles did when they traded with the Saints last year.

I agree I think we could take Witherspoon or Gonzalez at 6 and trade up from 18 to get Skoronski ahead of the Steelers. We give them 18 and 55 and we get their first and 3rd. I see Brad being aggressive to get the player he wants but in this scenario we need to get a 3rd or a 4th back. I think Brad is confident he will still get a player he wants with the lesser draft pick. We still come away with the same number of players. Something similar to the trade up for Jamo.

1 Like

Didn’t they trade two 1st rounders for two 1st rounders?

Yeah, then on top of it the Eagles also got an extra 2nd and 3rd rounder! It was a haul.

2 Likes

man I wish I had $5.00 for every time I’ve read or heard “X player was signed late and he is a good player.” look at Brady, picked in the 6th round…WHO IN THEE HELL thought a 6th-round QB would be The Goat for decades !?? , every pick has a chance of really being good , but sometimes their hot garbage to…you take the chances-shrug…

1 Like

I tallied the # of picks with a 6.2 or higher grade at NFL.com.

2022 had 88
2023 has 97

1 Like

And still a lot more grades to go.

Grade 2023 # 2022 # 2021#
7.x 2 0 5
6.8x 2 2 3
6.7x 6 6 3
6.5x 2 4 2
6.4x 13 13 13
6.3x 37 24 21
6.2x 35 39 46
97 88 93

Basically, we have a strong 2nd round class and decent 3rd round.
Someone else can do the numbers beyond that. Zierlein doesn’t seem to have the same struggles that McShay and Kiper are having.

2 Likes

Awesome. That’s a lot of work. I mean, I’d love nothing more then for it to be more then 80.

1 Like

NDT Scouting used to have a nice spreadsheet/matrix that illustrated a drafts depth beautifully. I miss that.

1 Like

That is another reason you see some teams trade out of this year’s picks for next or move down. They aren’t thinking just “this draft”. They are thinking long term. How do the guys available at my pick compare to the guys available at this pick in most drafts.

Do we? I think this CB class is likely to result some real good players sliding down to our second rounders. I’d prefer to get Gonzo or Spoon but if teams are giving us amazing offers and that means we end up with Stevenson and Rush (along with a moderately priced capable vet) as our CB solution is that really the end of the world?

Btw, had dinner with an Oregon State buddy last weekend. He swears by Alex Austin. Think he’s a future high end starter. Not big on Wright’s prospects in the pros though. :man_shrugging:

Honestly, I think we need an immediate impact and CB is just a very tough position to learn at the NFL level. So yes to the moderate priced vet but yes also to a first round player. If we don’t get Carter I’m OK waiting until the late 2nd to fill that gap, also a 2nd for IOL, CB in the first and that leaves an open spot to go BPA as long as it’s not a QB or TE. I’m absolutely in favor of a 2nd CB in the draft but not until day 3 and then it depends on who’s available.