Would you trade up to 3 for Jalen Carter?

For the sake of this exercise, let’s assume that Carter is guarenteed to be on the board if we move up, like Jameson was last year at 12.

So, I’ll start by saying that I personally wouldn’t be shocked at all if Holmes attempts to move up with a rookie GM in Arizona to get Jalen Carter. We need that kind of DT, and they could use more picks to fill all their needs.

We’ve discussed the player at length and know why we’d do it player wise, but what would it cost?

In 2018, the Jets moved up from 6 to 3 with the Indianapolis Colts for Sam Darnold. The Jets traded both of their second rounders (37 and 49) and their second the year after in 2019 to move up for Darnold. I’m not sure if that’s what it would cost this year, but that’s at least some precedent for a 6 to 3 move.

Personally, I think the impact our next 3 second round picks can make is more than we’d get out of Carter. Carter has too many questions regarding his consistency for me to want to ship out those picks for him. If it was Aidan Hutchinson I was trading up for, I’d do it, but I just don’t know that we’d be getting that level of player. Hutchinson seemed like more of a sure thing.

What would you do?

3 Likes

I’d trade 6 and 49 but that’s it

4 Likes

We suck in the second round so it would be like giving up a bunch of 7th rounders!

I am not a fan of trading up in the draft in the first round. I do understand why it happens sometimes but for it to work out the players has to be someone very special in the eyes of the team and there is no chance he will reach the teams pick.

Now I love Carter and would love to have him on the Lions, but at this time I am not positive that he will not be available at 6. Much like you mentioned there are some questions about his play. Also how high will QB needy teams be willing to move up for their guy. Also for the Cardinals, Seahawks, and Bears do they need a DT more then an Edge player?

IMO right now there are just too many questions that cannot be answered until a) after prodays and combine to see who rises and who falls, and b) the draft begins. So I would say no at this time to trading up for Carter.

1 Like

Generally don’t like trade ups.I’d be good with a trade scenario that has the Lion’s moving up to draft Jalen Carter though

Hard to imagine a scenario in which what we will give up matches that of what a QB needy team
will give up.

1 Like

Trade value chart says #6, #48 and #81 is about a perfect match.

3 Likes

I would not because I’m not convinced that Carter is worth what it would take to move up to 3. This is not Suh we’re talking about, not close really.

Also, I don’t think there’s enough motivation for Arizona to trade down to 6 for a paltry return considering that they could get a bigger haul from a QB needy team.

Just stay the course and let Brad do his magic.

5 Likes

I think saying that a guy “has to be special” has to take on the extra burden of saying that the player you would have taken at the normal spot and the extra pick were going to be special. At least one of them. Saying the kid has to be special also has to account for normal hit rates and how the draft actually unfolded.

Part of the problem is living in an alternate reality where every single traded away pick would become the best pick of that round if we would have kept it, and every acquired pick in a trade down will become the best pick of the round…until the pick is actually made. Then it was just that teams stupid use of the pick, and just about any other GM would have crushed it. In other words people live in a distorted reality when it comes to draft picks, which is why I like to point out how the teams involved in the trade actually used those picks. That gives a feel for how often a trade up or trade down actually works out in real life for either team. Teams wouldn’t bother trading if they had hindsight to cherry pick results after the draft.

If we want him, we’ll likely have to get in front of Seattle to get him. I’m not really sure he’s worth that much capital.

Let’s also remember: Bresee is 1 season removed from ACL surgery. If we stay put, we’d be getting a guy who specializes in playing in the backfield. Especially on early downs when the offense decides to pass.

1 Like

No, to trade up.
Yes, to trade down.
Stay put.

In that order.

2 Likes

I am not sure Carter would add enough to replace the “potential” value we could get with both our 2nd round picks as I think that would be the asking price. I see OG and S as being decent picks with our 2nds if we don’t get one sooner.

There is something about Bresee that tells me he could be as good as Carter especially under MCDC and the guys we already have on the DL.

4 Likes

For once in my life I’m fine with whatever the Lions GM does in the draft. I firmly believe Brad Holmes is one of the best GM’s in all of football. All he’s done with 1st round picks is draft ELITE talent at high value positions. Wether we trade up or not you have to absolutely love our current trajectory. Cap space, extra high end draft capitol, one of the best QB contracts in the league, coming off a winning season. Next season is going to be fun.

7 Likes

Noooooo? I dunno. I like beans. But I might be overly greedy……
Yas Omg GIF by O&O, Inc

Exactly brother!! It’s such a strange feeling to have confidence in a Lions GM, Holmes has been killing it. I think Agnew, Dorsey, and Spielman all deserve a ton of credit too, as well as the scouts and coaches, and even Sheila seems a bit different.

Just keep adding studs like Hutch and Sewell in round 1. Those dudes are franchise changing picks.

3 Likes

No.

Dude has to be a lock stud kind if deal for me to trade away essentially Stafford’s better pick and Hocks pick…

2 Likes

NO small trade down ok cost is to much your buying into the agent PR hype. He is good if there at 6 sure is he that good NO for cost

Not a fan of trading up this early in the draft process.

Who are you expecting to be available with those picks?

Would you trade Devon Witherspoon and Steve Avila for Jalen Carter?

It’s tough. Two starters for one but Jalen Carter has a very real shot to become the team’s best player.

3 Likes

Ummm, yeah, no. He really doesn’t. If he actually showed that in college, then cool. But he didn’t. Thats actually a high bar now w Hutch, Sun God Jamo and possibly Houston?

There is a lot of betting on future projection here.

I don’t trade up for that.

And I would for sure not trade Witherspoon and Bijan for Carter.

2 Likes