Would you trade up to 3 for Jalen Carter?

Ohhhhh ssssschyyyyit.
If this is true…

If you watch the Anthony Richardson highlight video there and focus on just the Georgia-Florida plays. The athleticism that both of those guys show is unreal. There’s one play in which Jalen Carter is stunting and it’s Bijan like the way he just teleports two gaps over.

But i do fear that the effort concerns are legitimate.

3 Likes

Big difference. Last year’s draft didn’t have the elite studs at the top. Carter and Anderson would have gone 1 and 2 in one form or another. This year, Hutch would be in line to go 6th or 7th overall, after those two and the QBs.

Sewell’s draft was utterly loaded with stars at the top (to this day one of the best drafts I’ve ever seen), plus a bunch of QBs. If he was in last year’s draft, he would have been the #1 pick.

This year’s class has the QBs but nobody else to push Carter and Anderson down… unless Richardson enters the top 5. And even then we’d need two of Arizona, Chicago or Seattle to take QBs, or trade down with QB needy teams and pass on the opportunity to draft Anderson or Carter.

I know there are some opinions on here that Carter and Anderson aren’t that great, but I’d bet a lot of money NFL decision-makers don’t share those views. Some concerns, yes, but far less than any other prospects they might take. There’s just such a large drop-off to the next tier. There won’t be any Travon Walker-style risers this year, at least not into the tier with Anderson, Carter and whatever QBs go there.

One other big difference:

Go find a play in which you can make an argument that Hutch and Sewell are loafing it.

That’s probably less of an issue for Anderson but you didn’t see the hair on fire posture in 2022 that you did in 2021.

3 Likes

Some say Myles Murphy could light up the combine and get up into that Top 3 discussion

If you’re talking about ability to impact a game, & be very good at your position. Yes, unfortunately I don’t think he makes it to 6. I would have also said the same thing about Hutchinson & Sewell being available when we picked as well…

1 Like

Oh I think he will absolutely light up the combine. But we’re expecting him to do that, the only issue is if he doesn’t. Don’t count it twice, as the old scouting adage goes.

And it still won’t put him above Carter or Anderson IMO.

I could see a team like Arizona opting for Edge #2 over DT1

1 Like

I would personally have Hutchinson 2nd in this draft behind Bryce Young. While I acknowledge that Jalen Carter probably has the higher ceiling, his work ethic drops him below Hutch for me. I do think Anderson is a littler overrated.

2 Likes

It’s one of the concerns for sure, but in the end I don’t think it will matter. Especially not compared to the other options in this class. (And I definitely wouldn’t qualify Anderson as a loafer, he’s supposedly one of the hardest workers on the team. He just seemed like he was thinking too much this year).

Really? I think they’re the most likely to go DT unless they change schemes with the new coaches. Right now they run a 3-4 and Murphy/Wilson etc… would be small-ish DEs in that scheme, they’re too big to play OLB. They have much bigger need for down linemen with Watt retiring, Zach Allen an FA, and virtually zero depth behind them. Carter would be a smash fit for them.

And even if they switch to more of a 4-3, they have better depth on the outside of their DL than they do inside.

Yeah, man, DE is such a premium position. I’d be comparing Hutch to all of the Edge class for my #1 dude.

1 Like

Would you have said this last year when Hutch was a prospect and Anderson was coming off one of the greatest defensive seasons in college football history?

Obviously now we’d all take the known of Hutch over the unknown of those guys. I would too. But I’m talking about them as prospects, and there were plenty of questions about Hutch as a prospect. I had them too even though he was my #1 overall guy.

I seen him dropping a lot lately too

Exactly! Hutch and Sewell just seem like perfect Dan Campbell type players, intense dudes that never take plays off. Not sure Carter is like that. Culture fit is so important to what the Lions are building.

1 Like

Who is the culture fit guy top 10?

1 Like

I see a lot of dog in Devon Witherspoon. Very high motor, intense dude, coaches rave about him. Think he would be a great fit in the Lions locker room. Plus, he’s Kerby’s college buddy.

6 Likes

I am not sure if you have heard, but Joseph is gonna have 34 picks next year with Bly asa a coach.

34, that’s only 2 per game. I’ll take the over.

1 Like

I would gladly trade any two of these guys to move up to take Carter. Heck probably even 3.

Levi Onwuzurike
Jahlani Tavai
Kerryon Johnson
Teez Tabor
Ameer Abdullah
KVN
Ryan Boyles
Titus Young
Mikel Leshoure
Jordan Dizon

1 Like