WR theory

If he is good, everyone should be surprised. He was a day 3 pick. No one should be expecting a stud. But I will be happy if he ends up a good slot WR

We were so starved for receivers back then that we thought Burleson was better than he was, and while Tate was damn good our 3rd receiver spot was a complete joke.

Back to the original point, the lack of being able to properly gameplan for an opponent carried thru Calvin’s entire career. Matt was one of the people who brought up that he thought the offense might improve when CJ retired. It happened.

1 Like

I like Crowder if he is cut…I also think your wrong about Lions granted couple what IFs but there is no problem with Perriman an Williams along with Cephus.
Yes health is major question mark for first two . That’s why said what If To be honest health is major concern with every player but those 2 its larger.
So right now healthy add the draft pick Amon-Ra St. Brown am we are ok. We have two fast take top off an two position types.

Just because fans didn’t get shiny big name unproven media WR doesn’t make what we have bad.

Are pick maybe steal of the draft an add couple more to them from releases or even just Crowder would be big plus.

We did ok in passing game last season with a rookie in Cephus an Jones with bunch of cast offs.

I think we will be ok at WR come start of season. Speed an possession WR;s work just fine if we can run ball like we expect an want to.
Some I think just complain because of a WR they wanted Lions passed on.
We never know how draft picks will work out that’s why they play the games

1 Like

I was actually thinking after we drafted him how much he reminds me of a Pitt WR from when Randle-El player there.

I don’t view…hope one can maybe be a 2 if they can stay healthy… as anything to count on. I also think you need a true no. 1. A guy you count on to get open and pick up 3rd down.

I know some think Hock will be that guy, but I’m not a fan of your TE being your go to guy, especially when you need a chunk

2 Likes

There might be a time in team roster construction where you spend resources on whst

But I don’t think there’s GMs thst prefer to win without a WR1 - or at least spending big time money for WR1

I don’t think teams actively hope they don’t have a WR1 within their construction of WR2s

Some fans said stuff like this when Calvin retired and Matt spread the ball around more … the problem wasn’t having Johnson as a binafide WR1
It was whoever decides to call the play that left pettigrew as the target on the most key play of the season …
The problem was not taking advantage of having a bonafide WR1 which we saw repeat with KG.

1 Like

In most fans minds you just described 2 different players. Julian Edelman is a guy you can count on to pick up that 3rd down. Does that make him a “true #1?”

A stud #1 TE is more important. Gronk, Kelce, Kittle… all those guys have won or played in Super Bowls. You can go through a list of the best receivers in the league and a majority of them never played in a super bowl. From Hopkins to Adams to our own Calvin Johnson.

It’s the worst WR group in the league…easily. That makes it “that bad.”

There just simply is no team worse at that position.

And that’s fine…for now. We aren’t winning anything that matters. But let’s not kid ourselves here. We will be lucky to have anyone carry over after this season after St. Brown

1 Like

The problem is we don’t have any number 2’s on the roster. These are all number 3’s at best. The rookie is too early of course. The blue chips will come next year.

1 Like

It’s only more important because there are so few and the current stud TEs fit your criteria. There are plenty of stud TEs who never played in a Super Bowl

Game’s changed, a true dual threat TE is more important than ever. Drafting Hockenson 8th isn’t gonna seem all that high a decade from now.

But the sample size that fits your criteria is crazy small. And those 3 TEs you mentioned played on the best team in football every year they’ve gotten there. It’s not an Elite TE that’s getting them there.

Its a nice stat, but it doesn’t hold water imo

1 Like

Fair enough, I disagree but fair enough.

Perhaps a more interesting exercise is how many 1st round receivers played in a super bowl since the turn of the century? The number is surprisingly low.

1 Like

That will be true for sure. For the record, I wasn’t advocated that the lions had to pick a first rd WR. I wanted them to, but when chase and waddle go before our pick, and Sewell is there, it’s a no brainer. I never dreamed he would be available.

I love the draft we had and the path we are taking. WR can come once we get closer. I would like to see us get a top guy next offseason/draft though

You left out the chunk play when you need it. So no Edelman isn’t that guy.

Sorry to disagree, but Jones, Moss, Brown, Rice, Irvin, Owens, Freeman, Harrison and on and on. You can go back to Stallworth, Swann, Pearson, Pearson etc. The list is long

1 Like

To be clear, not Knocking the draft at all, I gave it an A. I also see the need for a true no.1, is all. I have my doubts we get one this yr, but the need is there

2 Likes

Who was the #1 WR in St. Louis when they had the greatest show on turf?

And your view of a true #1 is to get open and pick up a 3rd down?..interesting.

Holt, and don’t play the twisting what I said bs.