WR theory

I think the Pats got pretty darn close with having gronkowski and Hernandez in making the TEs the focal point or “#1” guys on offense. Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t they also add randy moss to that offense? I could be getting my years confused…

But they still went 16-0 and didn’t win the Super Bowl so there’s that… :crazy_face:

In the end I think you definitely need legit guys to pass to, but it’s easier to add a #1 WR at the end once the team is built than to have superstar WR and still have to build the rest of the team.

Especially when you have a guy like Sewell that can get in front of a quick WR/TE/RB screen. This is probably the best oline Goff has had in front of him with the most talented backfield. I’d be shopping around for a young WR who has the chance of being cut, Gimme Christian Kirk for next years 6th and let’s roll.

A healthy TWill is a #2 WR

1 Like

I’m not going to keep playing this game because I’m already bored with it. But I could keep vollying back and forth until a point was made. You eliminated the KC receivers with the criteria you first mentioned. And while you open them up with the chunk play comment (which Edelman did by the way), they are still a group without “a true #1.” If you then extend that line of thinking towards Super Bowl teams and “true #1 receivers” you will notice a pattern that doesn’t favor “true #1 receivers” in the sense that most people mean it.

3 Likes

Here’s an easy way to look at it. If we were a WR away from being real contenders how many could we have got in FA? There were plenty of options in FA. How deep was the class in the draft? We added a great player that should contribute year one in the fourth round. That’s how you add value to your roster. Now how many franchise altering OT’s were available in FA? The draft? Looks like the new GM knows what he’s doing.

I admire your enthusiasm, but regardless of what Todd Gurley is now, his 2017-18 seasons were pretty good. I mean, dude made two All-Pro teams and won offensive player of the year in '17. Let’s not put Swift in that category just yet.

1 Like

I think drafting Sewell is a big part of not addressing WR on day 2. With Decker, Rangow and Sewell anchoring the line Goff should have time in the pocket (as well as a strong run and play action game), and he’s a guy who is very accurate when he can set himself. With the speed in the WR room if Lynn can scheme them open then the passing game can be OK, probably streaky and inconsistent but average overall.

The more I think about the Sewell pick the more I like it.

2 Likes

True. Man that offense was something else when they could run that stretch play with Gurley. I do like the depth we have at RB though and I think Swift has a real chance to be special.

1 Like

I don’t think anyone is saying we should’ve gone WR instead of Sewell. I have no problem with what’s been done. But anyway we slice it our WR sucks. But that’s ok, we aren’t winning playoff games yet anyway

1 Like

Best case scenario, yes. I hope he has a 1,000 yard season and we DONT re-sign him. Ideal scenario

I’d argue that a healthy Breshad Perriman would be a #2 as well. Since the light bulb went on late in ‘19 he’s played in 16 games with a star line of

50 catches 924 yards 8 TDs 3.3% drop rate

Pretty decent. He’s always injured of course but if he can somehow stay healthy he could really surprise some folks. Playing inside on turf with a good downfield passer an OL that can protect should really help him as well.

2 Likes

So if a 6’4" WR who runs a 4.4 has a 1000+ season, you just want him to walk? Is this an age/price thing? Or just an instance of not wanting him for whatever reason? I feel like a large majority of the posters here just don’t want Williams/Perriman, regardless of what they do.

You are 100% an optimist, I like it! Lol

But it doesn’t change that the group stinks. If we did a what if for every team, it would also top our best case scenarios.

It’s ok my man, we don’t have good WRs, and that’s fine for this year. Next year it will be fun to add a couple legit guys via FA/draft

IMO. The WR group is one of the last positions to worry about when building a team. The reason being is that they are one of the hardest to carry their college career to the pros. That is a group that you take chances on guys that have potential more then anything else. This is a position that is more dependent on coaching and game planning. No matter what they are called a route is the same. It is just the mixture of the offense that makes the big difference.

1 Like

I would be open to resigning Perriman following a nice year. But Williams no way. Unless it’s for a ridiculous discount.

The fact that no one wants them should tell you something I think :man_shrugging:t2:

It’s magic beans thing? Get with the program, man. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This x100

2 Likes

This was true 10 years ago in terms of games translating. Not anymore. So many very good WRs in today’s NFL.

It isn’t a priority to the way our team is rebuilding. But make no mistake, WR is a very important position. Much more important than RB and TE.

I’m hoping we’re getting Twill from the Chargers because that guy is a good receiver.

I think Amon-Ra is going to be REALLY good.

Many / most thought he would be gone by the 2nd or 3rd round. Some thought he should have gotten late 1st round consideration.

Also, Perriman was really good with the Bucs the year before last. The Jets were terrible so I’m not going to hold last season against him. Tyrell Williams is also a former 1,000 yard receiver. Throw in Quintez Cephus and the other depth receivers they have signed and I am not worried yet. If the rookie draft pick plays the way I think he might I think they will be just fine.