Your plan to fix the WR position next year

I always liked Fuller but he is hurt way to often.
I am not sure they will go after a #1 in FA next season.

I think they want to finish the D build an add rookie WR’s an see how what they have can do along with rookies.

The late rd one pick will be a 5 year WR an the cost will allow if needed a high ticket WR in 2023.

This is a better start than this season Cephus, St. Brown, Raymond and Reynolds. Pick a WR with the late round pick I like few but they will be gone one i think we get is David Bell .

I would not be against using late rd 1 an rd 2 pick on WR.
We don’t know how draft will fall but why not double up early.

then we have 2 third rd picks to take LB or what ever we need.
Why I like rookies is look at what they pay some an they don’t get it done. The WR get paid big money an few produce like they should not always there fault injury these guys are fragile.
Smith 10th pick his highest cap hit would be $6,408,625 thats in 3 more years ,

IMO you draft a WR every draft an a CB every draft doesn’t matter what rd based on scouts an what you need.
Thats why I don’t want Lions to draft a CB until late this draft we have 8 young guys gaining experience this season but we could still draft one late if they see one they like.
this draft 2022 i think we should take WRs then fill needs with rest of draft.
If we take the edge rusher OLB that everyone says is top pick an we resign Harris the OLB say 3 years with option we are young then at OLB .
I am for building young depth before jump into top tier FA. Only one I would want FA is the S from saints Marcus Williams.

We have money to get whoever will sign but Lions will not be completely ready next season. Say we add the Two WRs to 4 coming back an they work out now your set with small changes at WR.
Likely Set at Safety if we can get Williams an resign Walker add one in draft. With 8 CBs all young coming back.

Doesn’t mean we will not sign FA we should but just one or two big price ones . Look at cost of some of positions an do they produce.

I’d like to see someone like Gallop or DJ Chark in FA along with a flyer on the likes of a Rashard Higgins, Tim Patrick or Cedric Wilson type dude on a one year prove it deal where they will have the opportunity to get a lot more targets than they are currently getting. Add a WR with the second round pick - surely one or two of London/Dotson/Burks will be there

Chark, Patrick, Dotson, Cephus, St Brown, Raymond

I think depends on price but don’t need two like you said.
I like WR David Bell from Purdue
I think Jefferson is solid pick up an has shown ability in past he is young. If rest of season he shows well then you resign him.
Cephus, St Brown, Raymond Jefferson an second rd pick Bell now look for experience young guy in FA I like Chris Godwin he is playing this year on tag he will be pricey. Courtland Sutton would be nice add.

Sign Kirk and Patrick. If there is decent wr in round 2 pick him up. Kirk and Patrick will be much cheaper then Robinson and few others.

Yeah, he gets hurt, but it’s hardly ever the same injury twice, which makes me think it might just be flat out bad luck, rather than indicating something chronic. It also means you get him at a discount, a steep discount.

The guy can fly, has good hands, isn’t afraid of contact, and creates Separation, which is what Campbell has been pounding the table for. He’s NFL proven, sure, there’s an injury risk, but guys like this don’t grow on trees.

If you want to push the ball downfield, immediately, this is the guy I’d roll the dice on.

1 Like

Did you just say Mike Williams is hurt too often but then suggest Sutton? That’s a good one haha just poking at ya!

Mike Williams is a stud. Imo, the most underrated WR in the NfL. Would love him on the Detroit lions. That being said, hes #1 trait is his big play ability deep. And Jared Goff sucks balls at that. So not sure he would chose to come here, among other reasons.

Mike Williams is my #1 FA “wish list” player for 2022. And I would pay big money for him. Allen Robinson would be my backup plan. Paying 1 WR big money is fine and makes sense. No one else at the position will be making Jack. So my plan or hope is that we sign one of these 2 WRs, and then draft another one. Preferably with our 1B or 2nd round pick. With the other 2/3 top picks going Defense.

1 Like

Fuller is star. Whenever he plays he is a nightmare for defenses. That being said, he’s a luxury player that a team like Detroit can not count on to fix the WR group. If there is a player who is guaranteed to get injured every single year, it’s him. Signing Fuller would require signing another guy as well, along with drafting another one. That’s one too many resources for a team with major needs.

If we are going to be a run first team, Mike Williams is the perfect fit to keep defenses honest. He won’t be cheap, but if you want stars, players to build around that you don’t draft, you gotta pay for it. Keep signing mediocre players and you will never win and attract other good players to join up :man_shrugging:t2:

Christian Kirk as a FA a Marvin Jones type signing

Draft at 32 or 33 George Pickens or Treylon Burks .

Then a later Rd Reggie Robinson or Williams from Alabama.

Along with Bo Cepheus St. Brown and Raymond.

I like Kirk, but don’t know much about him. I do know that he never broke out in Arizona. And they signed an aging AJ Green, and spent a high draft pick on Rondale Moore. If you have a really good DHopkins and Christian Kirk, do you sign/draft 2 WRs? And give them at least as many snaps as a “proven” Kirk?

To me this is the type we shouldn’t sign. Doesn’t move the needle much. If we are gonna sign a mediocre WR, I would just not do it at all. That’s just my opinion

One thing I do not like at all is the idea of drafting two WR’s back to back in the late first and second. IMO, that is just bad business. When you draft a player you obviously hope that players works out long term. Even if we hit on both WR’s, now you are stuck having to pay both at the same time, or more then likely choosing between the two. The better approach is to sign a guy in FA and then draft one and by the time the FA’s contract runs out the draft pick should be extended.

My FA wish list for WR rated by potential cost vs ability vs age is

Chris Godwin
Courtland Sutton
Mike Williams
Allen Robinson
Michael Gallup
Tim Patrick

Kirk is a up in coming player and even thou they signed AJ and drafted Moore he’s having his best year, he has 40 catches for 545 yrds and 4 TDs avg 13.6 yrds it’s only 8 games in. He is young and just coming into his own and will be at a reasonable price compared to the big names some mention.
This is to me exactly the kind of player you want to sign. Kirk will make a fine #2 Then draft one high that can become your #1 and the cost is much less.

And also he leads all WRs on his team with Hopkins , AJ and Moore.

That’s why I coupled his signing with Godwin and drafted a poor man’s Fuller clone in the mid rounds in my original post. Godwin, Fuller, Hockenson and a strong running game should make this offense a nightmare to deal with, or a great situation for a rookie quarterback to walk into, while allowing draft resources to be spent building the defense.

That is only because of Hopkins injury issues. You do have a good point though and Kirk would be a very Marvin Jones like pickup.

1 Like

Fuller has been good when he is available. but his injury history just isn’t worth it to me. Would rather have a lesser player that can stay healthy.

With our team and our current QB… attracting a high priced free agent wr probably isn’t in the cards. I think we can sign a solid #2 with upside to then find a 1 in the draft. If Raymond cephus and Amon Ra are the backups… all of a sudden we are cooking. Christian Kirk, dj chark, keelan Cole kinda guys are kinda the more realistic targets.

2 Likes

I doubt that we will go after one of the top WRs available in FA like Godwin, Robinson etc.

Who is this FA class Robert Woods? Guy who is getting 50 catches a year currently and is an able and willing blocker with some upside and available for mid tier money?

The bargains I would say are gonna be Chritian Kirk, Smith Schuster, Will Fuller, Zach Pascal, Tim Patrick, DJ Chark, and Michael Gallup. Kirk will cost the most, but doesn’t have the upside as some of the other guys (profiles as a long term #2). Chark and Fuller are the most talented, but Fuller has a crazy long injury history and Chark is coming off a fractured ankle. Michael Gallup has flashed at time and could surprise. Zach Pascal has been a decent fill in #2 for the Colts for a couple years now, but he doesn’t have a ton of upside. Tim Patrick has slowly blossomed in Denver and is turning into a really good #2. Smith Schuster is probably the biggest wild card. He had an incredible first couple season, but has struggled to ever regain that form.

cricket GIF

Wait… like… way more than twice?

Will Fuller has been listed as having a hamstring strain 5 times on this site below… as well as a groin strain.

He also tore his ACL in 2018… which is a major predictor of future hamstring injuries.

The site below is even more detailed… and shows Fuller missing practices and partial games with even more hamstring and groin strain issues.

No Will Fuller

1 Like

Gallup will only be 26 in March. I think he’d be that good #2 WR but we won’t be the only ones thinking that and someone with deep pockets will view him as a 1 and he’ll get close to 20M. But he’d be a good target if we can get him in that 14-16M range and maybe he is only an expensive #2. But then you draft a guy who will give you some juice right away and be very cheap on the other side. That guy may not be elite in year one, but a guy who’ll draw attention from one of the outside spots.

I’m still looking at KT with pick one and then trading up from our 1B to grab our QB of choice. Corral/Strong. That will likely cost us our 2nd round pick, so we’ll likely miss out on one of the top WR’s in my scenario. That’s ok IMO. I’d rather go with a good outside WR rookie and get on with it at QB. Maybe you can pick up Doubs at the top of the 3rd. If we came into the season with say KT/Corral/Doubs and Gallup plus whatever else we can do, I’d be very happy with that.

1 Like