Your plan to fix the WR position next year

Broncos are locking the WRs up…

Ian Rapoport on Twitter: “The #Broncos reached an agreement on a big-time extension for standout WR Courtland Sutton, his agency @milkhoneysport tells me and @TomPelissero. It’s a a 4-year $60.8M extension with $34.9M guaranteed. After a torn ACL in 2020, he’s back as a star and was rewarded like one.” / Twitter

Interesting. I guess it makes as they still have JH on the cheap for two more years. Is this about rodgers posturing? Seems like too many mouths to feed.

Exactly what I was thinking… and I am wondering if the J-Will draft selection was part of the plan also.

Build up all of the offense EXCEPT the QB position… and let a hall-of-famer pick you.

The only time Elway had success was when Manning chose Denver… so they might be hoping to duplicate that now.

Cordarrelle Patterson is due to be a UFA.

He will be 31yo in 2022, but is still explosive.
He has limitations as a route runner.

His 2021 salary is $3 million for his 1 year deal.

I’d be happy to see him added if we have an OC that can figure out a way to get him 8-12 touches each game.

Who’s with me?

Patterson’s biggest issues are between the ears. He’s simply not the smartest guy out there, nor does he like to spend time studying. But he’s a good human being who will physically give you everything he’s got. He’s also one of the most physically gifted players in the NFL. He’s almost like if you took Devin Hester and added some Terrell Owens to the mix. He just doesn’t have Owens brain so a good coach/QB needs to understand they have to do some of that fr him. Like Gronk.

1 Like

Isn’t he playing RB this year ?

He plays both RB and WR. Physically…he can do both at an NFL level.

I picked him up in fantasy and he’s a RB there not a WR. He’s actually been pretty good for me.

Cordarelle’s only 31?
Seems like he’s been around forever.

I’d be cool with bringing him in, he’s kind of a niche’ player but we need wepunz!

Watch how these highlights progress from RB to WR. There aren’t many guys who have played in the NFL that you can make Adrian Peterson/Marshawn Lynch type comparisons on one play, then come back a few plays later and make a DeAndre Hopkins or whatever comparison you want to make at WR. I would love to see Patterson in an alternate universe where he went to a team that embraced him as a player and worked around his mental limitations…instead of trying to make him be Stefan Diggs (film junkee) just to get on the field and involved outside of a handful of plays.

1 Like

I was just grabbing a video link for the same thing… with pretty much the same thought in mind.

I would pick maybe 8 to 10 plays to utilize Cordarelle in the passing game each week… and have the OC and WR coach focus to get him prepped for those plays.
Heck… 5 or 6 plays might be enough.

They don’t even have to be complicated… because he can be a threat on jet sweeps/reverses, screen passes as a RB… or a bubble screen as WR, and an occasional shot play on a go route.

He could become a distraction on jet sweep fakes… which could help open up the inside zone runs for another RB… and utilizing the similar look would allow an OC to call his limited plays more than once a game at times.

Add in a role as a RB… even if a limited play selection is required… it shouldn’t be hard to get him 5-10 carries a game with a zone scheme. Could even run him out of a wildcat look with extra O-line on the field on occasion.

If we can’t get Cordarelle… I am also intrigued by Jakeem Grant.

He’ll be a UFA as well… and crazy quick… but he doesn’t offer the RB ability like Cordarelle.

Just read somewhere that some teams, including the Patriots, Green Bay, and 3 or 4 more teams are starting to play “bully ball” as more teams are using nickel package as their base defense.

The article stated these teams are zigging while the rest of the league is zagging…

I saw this coming a few years ago as the linebackers have gotten smaller and smaller.

I think our WR position group is being underestimated by many here. We need a qb and play caller first.

I called for it before Decker got back on the field… :sunglasses:

Yup…maybe we can get a bigger inline TE that can block DEs alond and flex Hockenson into the slot…??

But…every game plan should be different. You do what you need to do to take advantage of your opponents weakness.

So It Begins Helms Deep GIF by Giphy QA

2 Likes

Out WR core is being underestimated??? This couldn’t be more wrong. I don’t know if there has ever been a worse position group…on any team…ever.

1 Like

He’s another small WR that nobody knew his name before yesterday.

nobody?

1 Like

He’s the only guy that made it from that show Undrafted. I’ve been following his career ever since.