Your Thoughts

Yeah you can add players to help offset a flop, bust, or injury but you don’t pay WR1 money for a WR who is going to be secondary option.

We need a WR3…those don’t cost 12m+ per

LOL - Expert journalism at its best. The first part says Chark should go somewhere else and the second part says he is a good fit for Detroit. Hard to be wrong when you put it that way.

I like Chark. I hope he is with us for a couple of years more… assuming that the Price is Right.

System GIF

4 Likes

That’s who I was talking about.

@BigNatty, he’s a dog. Slot corner/SS, but one of the best nickels in the league. Tied for the league lead in INTs this year. He’s only 24 I’m pretty sure too. If he’s not then he’s 25. Still young regardless. Competetive as hell. Has experience with Dan in New Orleans before he got traded to Philly this offseason. Having a chess piece like him transforms this secondary. Might not pass the turd test but Dan should have a good idea having seen him in the locker room before.

We could also use that money on a James Bradberry or a Javon Hargrave. TJ Edwards maybe? Essentially, Chark would be signed for a decent sum of money that would help us more on defense than offense.

Bringing back Chark solidifies our WR core for the forseeable future, but do we really need WR depth more than we need impact talent in the back 7 and IDL on defense?

2 Likes

Well, at least neither were, “anonymous”.

1 Like

One would think yet reports later in the year were Jamo wasn’t practicing well. Hence the limited snaps, so can the lions really count on him? Or will he continue to practice lousy and not make the impact that is expected

1 Like

So is your solution to pay Chark? Imo, paying a guy a big multi year deal who likely is WR3 is a really bad use of the cap.

I am all for bringing in a WR3. Reynolds and Raymond are an excellent 4/5 and have proven to be a serviceable 3/4 if need be. But the only thing Chark proved in his “prove it” contract was that he is indeed injury prone, and that his ~30 receptions for ~500 yards mirrors his career production. You can find those numbers much easier and cheaper than bringing back Chark @ 12m+ per year.

I’m passing on Chark unless he’s willing to sign at max for 2 years 20 million. I don’t even like that idea but I know the board will hate me for suggesting just flat out letting him walk lol.

For kicks, let’s say we could sign Lavonte David for 2/20 million or Chark for the same amount. Who are you choosing? It’s not even close for me. The impact that David would have on the team would be immense. Point is, you can get a really good impact defensive player for the money Chark is going to command. And this offense is good with or without Chark. The defense needs all the help it can get. Don’t waste the money on a WR3 :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

We’ve seen Goff at his best with plus WRs

We’ve seen lions beset with injuries at wr suggesting a 3 could be a 1 or 2 during the season.

Where they answered a lot of questions during season
If you create turnover
You’re recreating the questions

For lions in win now mode the deal can use the lions have lots of cheap rookies still giving Chark a good 3 yr payday from
Lions to stay and help lions win now

2 Likes

You are strictly thinking of it from a fans perspective. And that’s fine, but paying your WR3 the kind of money Chark is going to get is foolish.

The team will probably think so too and when he signs somewhere else we will know for sure.

1 Like

The problem is that it’s a poor wr class in the Draft and the FA isn’t exactly brimming with talent either. There are a few teams in desperate need of a WR (I’m looking at you Chicago) and all it would take is one of them offering a multi-year deal with 15 or so annually and he has been priced outside the lions price point.

1 Like

I do not hate you brother!! Chark’s injury history really concerns me. Messed up the same ankle he had surgery on again this year. I hear people say let Swift walk, do not bring him back, he’s hurt all the time and then say we must resign Chark, who misses more games than Swift.

2 Likes

I disagree.
I’d almost suggest you’re looking at it like a fan from outside the building
That doesn’t see the value in the actual people
Nor assess that for next season
The lions should be in fine shape with the cap
And might want proven performers so they can pick up where the offense left off and get some early wins
And not narrowly miss playoffs in sake of future cap space.

It’s possible the lions besting everybody’s offer last season and giving him ten million might play favorably to Chark structuring a deal that works for the team.

I don’t get as caught up on the scary salary cap and those fears as some fans because we see teams create room , move money , take on bad contracts , draft hall of famers in the 6th , etc …

Goff looked great with his full stable of WRs and next year might be still Jamo on a learning curve

So without knowing where the Chark money will land , im not quick to dismiss him.

Not as a fan of his
But how I think about successful teams and organizations.

Pressure is on to win now

I feel much better on Brad making this decision than BQ.

Ask another way

What’s Goffs QB rating with Chark vs without ?

3 Likes

A penny for my thoughts……

The article thinks more opportunity with 2 of the worst passing QBs in the NFL is a good thing….

or playing 2nd fiddle to Amari Cooper… maybe even 3rd fiddle with Njoku at TE in a run heavy Cleveland offense is glamorous???
Actually… he might be 4th fiddle… because Instagram masseuses probably ranked up in the top 3 as well.

Heck… Danny Dimes is a UFA and they might draft a rookie developmental QB. The pro bowl OLT is entering his final year and needs an extension. They would have to take a sizable dead cap hit to move on from the last Lion WR they signed in UFA.

Chark should definitely run away from a top 5 offense and ascending team to join any of those situations. :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

I want Chark back… but the fact that most of us here have said there is a limit to what can be paid… means the only way he gets more money elsewhere is to go to a dumpster fire situation.

Chark was outspoken about his happiness to join a good environment… I just don’t see those options being too appealing to him.

Show me the money!!!

National Football League GIF by Detroit Lions

2 Likes

It sure cost the Giants! lol

1 Like

Kenny made it easy for MCDC and Holmes…

he admitted he was a “turd” when he said “this shit”…
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

You are making a statement that is THIS lions team with Chark or without. If Chark is gone, someone else is going to be added. And you speak of Chark as if he is something special. Potential means squat if you aren’t available. And it means squat if you don’t produce. Chark has a plenty big enough sample size showing he isn’t that productive and misses a lot games.

An injury prone, 30 catch/500 yard WR doesn’t deserve the money he’s going to get. Those are literally replacement level numbers. We aren’t talking about letting a Tee Higgins walk. If he wasn’t a Lion, you and most of the fan base, wouldn’t want him for the money he’s going to make.

Set aside the fandom and it’s easy to see Chark is not going to be worth his contract. No matter where he signs.

Answer one question for me, just one. What did Chark earn on his 1 year prove it deal? Seriously did he earn more money and a multi year extension? I was a big fan of the Chark signing and the potential of the situation. A motivated player trying to earn a big contract. Then he misses games, has a small stretch of production and all of sudden he deserves a big contract? I think whoever hands him one is dumb. And I don’t think our organization is :man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

I read that about an when it was just article about Chark I refused to show posters here. No place does he say Lions did tell him what header hints at It was just a article about Chark the pros an cons.

Great input, I am really enjoying your takes! Just to chime in…

I agree those are replacement numbers, but numbers don’t tell the whole story. Injuries and chemistry matter in the real world.

Extreme example is Jamo. He had one catch and one rush in 5 games. Awful stats. But those stats clearly don’t tell the whole story. I am excited about his future!

Can we find a player to fill Chark’s role more effectively, or cheaper? Great! Sign him up!

Otherwise, what is the plan to stretch the field and be a good veteran presence with our existing guys? Is it ARSB? He already gets a million targets. What if Jamo gets smoked by a safety in game 2, and with his smaller frame, is out for two months? Who will open up the underneath routes? I love Raymond, but he doesn’t really scare people.

Chark is not the only option. Like I said… Make a fair offer (for his role HERE) and let him choose. Don’t offer the moon. But, given a whole season, I think he is a trustworthy 800-1100 yard guy in our offense.

I don’t love the idea of slotting in Jamo as a true top-2 WR until I see more out of him. I think he will be great, but he has some work to do.

I believe we could probably resign Chark and get a Lavonte David type guy in here. Stay good on offense, improve defense, and keep grinding through progress with the draft.

All of this goes out the window of Chark wants 20 million per year. More power to him if so… I can’t blame a guy for that. BUT… I think he adds a lot more to the offense than just a replacement level WR3.

3 Likes