Your Thoughts

He might already be signed up. Josh Reynolds can easily function as a number 3 option if we need him to.

Ideally he’s your number 4, sure, but this team needs too much help on defense to worry about Josh Reynolds being in the starting lineup.

It’s the same reason a lot of people are against drafting offense early in the draft, because it’s “overkill” when we have so many defensive needs. The cap space letting Chark walk gives you is enough to get a solid starter in a secondary which desperately needs it.

1 Like

Great counter point, thanks. I friggin love this board.

3 Likes

I think they can squeeze out enough cap space to bring in a decent CB. That is what I hope they do. Then re-sign the bulk of our own. I get what is being said about defense but I think people tend to forget that we had 9 out of 11 new starters on defense last year. We started 3 rookies and a couple of second year guys. They will continue to get better. Of course we need upgrades at CB and another DT but this defense is closer than some are giving credit I think. We should not really ignore either side of the ball.

1 Like

-But, given a whole season, I think he is a trustworthy 800-1100 yard guy in our offense.

He’s absolutely not a trustworthy guy though. Here’s his career statistics

Dudes missed 27 out of a possible 81 career games. That’s 1/3 of the time. And in the last two years he’s missed 18 out of a possible 33 games. And he injured the same ankle in 2022 that ended his 2021 season. If that’s trustworthy I think it’s safe to say everyone is.

Also 800-1100 yard guy? He’s eclipsed those numbers once in his career. He also has a really weak career catch per target rate (56%) and his career receiving yards per game is 47.1 ypg. If he played ALL 17 games, that would just get him to 800 yards. And as the numbers stated above in regards to injury, he probably isn’t playing 17 games.

He showed exactly what he was last year. A guy who misses a handful of games who gets you 45-50 yards when he does play. Chark has always had a lot of talent and potential, but after 5 years it’s safe to say this is the player he is. If you are paying a WR 10 million plus he better put up 1000 yards.

Reality is Chark is nothing more than a decent WR who can’t be counted on. If Jamo is a question mark like some are suggesting, is it smart to add another one to the group? Especially at his potential price tag?

There is minor talk that Tyler Boyd could be a cap casualty this offseason. I don’t buy it but he’s due to count 10.3 million against the cap this year for the bengals. And he is significantly more reliable and productive than Chark is. So we have a guy in Boyd who could get cut to save money on one team, but an injury prone Chark that fans want to give more money too. Take the Jersey off the player and this debate would be a non issue.

1 Like

I wasn’t too impressed with the signing

The rest honestly I think you mis read me and the whole point

How does one get a contract thar he hasn’t earned in the nfl ? The value is what his value is

Which player do you have in now that’s proven they can even do replacement ? Was it Q ? Maybe Tom ? Jamo ? Yet Jamo is paid less than a good 3 right now

Lions paying squat for tight ends

Explain how any contract Chark gets dooms the same team
That went 8-2 with him ?
When you don’t actually really even know what contract he’ll get ?

Oh yea cap savings. That’s how you win championships.

Good thing they traded Hock

Great thing they got Goff in the trade for Stafford since the draft picks haven’t really replaced anybody yet

My point is lions are or should be in win now mode so losing talent doesn’t help. Future cap space won’t help

You just are moving the goal posts now. I didn’t say anything about dooming the team if they sign Chark lol. I just said that they could use that money to better the team.

I completely addressed your stance by the way…

My stance is I see value in the team
And the players established worth during their seasons with the lions. Most have said they want to come back so money may not be the big concern.

You accused me of forming my position because I’m a fan like I’m a fan of Chark or homer so that’s why I feel some kinda way in my feelings about Chark

But my point is the lions were rolling and I wouldn’t be quick to disrupt the team.

Did you predict how much Chark will be offered to play football despite the fact you think he’s not worth the offers ?

I want lions to win. I see it as win now. Leaning questions to be answered on the roster is risky.

This is an on going discussion not moving goalposts

You one trying to say what I mean
Tell me I’m just a fan etc
Like it’s just my opinion dawg

Chark is not a big deal, that’s just my opinion homie. And he will be replaced with someone off the roster currently, I have no doubt. He’s gonna probably make north of 10mil per year and probably closer to 15 due to a weak FA.

I just want to see that money allocated elsewhere. And it could be for another WR. The player the money is being used on is my concern not the position.

Our team is better signing someone else (or multiple players) for whatever money Chark signs for.

I’m not trying to speak for you so my apologies if I did. Fans wanting Chark back at a price tag we are discussing just always leads me to believe “Homer.” It’s an unfair assumption I just don’t understand what else it could be. Sorry again for real bro!

1 Like

All good. I’m
Always down to talk lions and my thought meander but not because I’m purposely trying to move goal posts.
I see so many ways it all connects

I see myself as a critical homer who roots for the players and is sort of cynical towards league and owners lol as far as my point of view generally sits

I’m not as convinced as everybody else that Chark only wants top money but really I feel like at this point

There’s new talent coming in the draft and unless they’re going big to sign a for sure upgrade at whatever position for big money
My preference is to try and run it back with these guys at fair market deals
If it fits into the overall plan

Ie
Id rather pay Chark $10m
Then roll dice and gamble on the next Chark for $8m

I want lions to be ready to win when season starts and with shorter preseason less practice and an already young team , I’m leaning towards the idea that the lions will have value in continuity
And a pretty cheap WR unit especially without charks $10m

I feel like Bob Quinn had cut off values for positions and it cost them players they had to pay to replace and the replacement was similar money yet not really a big upgrade like team may have been better just investing in the player they let go even if he cost a little more

If Chark goes because he’s got great offers I won’t feel like lions need to match it but I do feel like his value isn’t as easily replaced and with his established familiarity in Detroit he might be most valueable to the lions next season even if he doesn’t fit into the plans.

Again great points. I just wanted to clarify mine. I meant to imply that IF he played a whole season (16-17 games), I believe we could count on him to hit that 800-1100 yard mark. I think your chart supports that assertion (he got 706 yards when he played 13 games, and over 1000 when he played 15 games).

Now, can we have a reasonable hope of him playing 16-17 games? I think that is a fair question. I don’t know, I am not a doctor. Has he just had bad luck, or is he just an injury prone guy?

I can see you don’t feel we could count on him for a whole season, and that is fair too!

1 Like

I could argue that we do need receiver depth after watching ours drop like flies for about 5 weeks. I’d like them to resign chark and keep our offense intact. But I also wouldn’t be upset if they let him walk and signed players to help the defense. Either way we really can’t go wrong unless we whiff on the player.

1 Like

I’ve not understood why you would just let Swift go when he is signed through this season at a non extravagant cost. You keep him and hope he stays healthy and use him as much as possible in 2023.

When healthy he can do well in his role, keep him in 2023 and let him walk after the season.

1 Like

Chark in his second year in the system and second year working with Goff should be much better than 1st year in system and 1st year working with Goff.

4 Likes

Yes, but another year he was injured. I want him back but at what cost? Personally I would love to see what Ben Johnson comes up with when Chark, Jamo, ARSB as our receivers for a whole season.

1 Like

@JD9

There’s a thread with the ST Brown bros and Chark

Now I know it’s not a lot but in terms of Peer respect

And Amon being The Guy who helps set the standard and culture hopes Chark is back. So imo that also shows value without knowing where the contract will be nor knowing how much the lions are willing to spend for him.

The interview is worth a listen.

1 Like

He could be the most loved player on the team. If he thinks he’s worth 10+ million a year with his injury history and career production he shouldn’t be a guy that you want.

I find it crazy that so many support bringing this guy back even at a salary he doesn’t even come close to deserving. All because of chemistry? Thank god those who follow this line of thinking don’t make the decisions. If it were up to the large majority of the board everyone would be brought back because they are “fits.”

Don’t you think the majority of players we bring in are going to be culture fits and like it here? We aren’t the SOL who need to keep everyone who hints at loving our new organization. Whoever we bring in next is probably gonna like it here too. And won’t be a injury prone, mildly productive player when he does play.

If Chark wants 3 years 24 million by all means, sign him. But if he wants 3 years @ 36 million+ he should be laughed at by everyone including this board. You like it here? Then what on earth have you done to justify that money?

Shit I would rather give up one of our 6th round picks and trade for Corey Davis and his 1 year remaining at 10.5m. He is at least as productive as Chark and doesn’t miss as much time. The only argument that can literally be said at this point is Chark and Goff have chemistry. Does that go a long way? Sure it does. But when you are an annual 500 yard producer who misses 1/3rd of your games that 100% offsets chemistry. Especially when you are talking a big contract.

I agree as long as they don’t use cap space to sign marcus trufant. If they do that , then I prefer it go to Chark and chemistry.

Actually I just hope lions build a winner , I got no horse in the race on how much who gets paid.

1 Like

I like Chark as a person, but he missed 6 games and only got 500 yards and 3 TD’s, I think we can do better than that with a WR pick frankly. :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.