#3 Spot

Interesting, I haven’t watched that game but Pro Football Focus graded him with a score of 90.9% with four defensive stops and nine quarterback pressures for that game

he was also named Big Ten Defensive Player of that Week.

I think he singlehandedly changes the defense more than any player on the board IMO. Provided Chase Young is fine. If it’s Simmons though, trade down first though please

2 Likes

IF he is available, then we will more than likely make the pick and then shuffle him between LDE/RDE and SAM depending on the formation they want to go with. My concern with him is that I do not see the consistency of effort that I want in a top 3 pick. That guy “should” have elite talent AND elite neck up attributes. But this is a very weak year (of course) for pass rushers, which is why last year when it was deep we should have taken one and not a freaking TE, but I digress. Due to the lack of true EDGE players in this draft, the Gross-Matos’ and Epenesa’s will skyrocket IMHO and be overdrafted. But when you have one year to develop a pass rush on a defense that only has a couple guys maybe that can do it and they don’t know how to scheme to get home with LB’s, yeah we’ll be overdrafting some pass rushers and if somehow Young slides to 3, then we will take him. IMHO of course. Not a huge fan personally, but the stats and physical characteristics speak pretty loud.

Chase Young’s lack of pass rush moves are very reminiscent of Cliff Avril to me. He’s kind of a one trick pony. But his physical gifts are off the charts and he’s much more physically gifted than the Bosa brothers. Maybe you hire a Dwight Freeney to teach him a few tricks.

2 Likes

I like Simmons, but I struggle how MP would use him. What he “should” do is put him in as a LB who never leaves the field, and moves to the 3rd Safety if we go to a heavy package with 3 other LB’s. But they LOVE themselves some Christian Jones at WLB for some stupid reason and Quinn reiterated his man love for his “versatility” which doesn’t mean shit when you are terrible at what you are supposed to be versatile enough to do which is cover, and he cannot. This staff’s belief in 250lb LB’s to “do it all” is one of the main reasons teams just kill us over the middle with drag routes. So I’d love Simmons just like I would have loved a D White, R Smith or a D Bush. But would Patricia and if so would he play Simmons or Tavai on 3rd and 16? I seriously wonder. The closest things he has to a Simmons type is JRM and Killebrew and they are absolute afterthoughts in this defense. Are they Simmons? Heck no, but should they be on the field on 3rd and long over Tavai? Heck yes, and yet…

2 Likes

I share your concerns regarding this stuff. I just happen to think that adding elite range to the second level helps cover up some faults on defense.

I would agree that most likely he’s not a fit for what Patricia wants to do.

As far as Young goes i think some of this is that he’s been at the top of the mountain all year and was probably overhyped up until his suspension. Now down the stretch it becomes evident that he does have holes in his game and everyone is overreacting

I think most years Chase Young would have a lot of competition at the start of the draft but this year he really stands out because the rest are weak cheese. We got Calvin and Suh at the top of the draft and I sure as hell don’t see talent like that. If there was an Orlando Pace in this draft instead of Thomas, we wouldn’t be worried about losing out on Chase Young.

1 Like

I think being basically schemed for by college talent has shut Young down. I don’t think it’s overreacting to what that highlights. A top 3 OA pass rusher is going to get schemed for in the NFL too and the talent will be much better than what he’s been facing at the next level. When I see that PLUS sorry quitting on plays consistently, just doesn’t scream game changer. I think he’ll be good and IF his mind is right, he’ll be really good. But really good isn’t what you should be taking at 3. I’d probably still take him without of course the neck up evals we’ll never know. I’m very preferential to effort. When I watch film, I always make sure to focus on the last few minutes of a game. If the team is way up or way down, how hard are you continuing to play? When I see players dogging it, I’m tending to look elsewhere. That’s why a guy like Gross-Matos, to me is so intriguing. He’s been mixing it up with interior olineman in the Big 10 all year. Yet snap after snap he’s getting after it.

Yeah it’s totally our luck to have a top 3 pick in a horrible year blue chip wise. The Calvin is Jeudy and the Suh is Brown… damn.

3 Likes

Truth. Brown isn’t even McCoy but is likely the pick. We were spoiled by CJ and Suh, that’s for sure.

1 Like

I know we look at things differently regarding Patricia and scheme, but, yeah, the “flat-footed-linebacker-versus-drag-route” easy button is one we need to take away from offenses. The hell of it is that it’s not just LB’s burned by them, but Melvin has been a special sort of easy button for opposing offenses this year, too.

Suh’s a FA… mmmm… mmmmmm…

4 Likes

Hello everyone. Coming on over from the other lions forum that shut down randomly and after being called spam and not being able to register at Detroit lions forum lol.

Anyhow with the 3rd pick I would most definitely try to trade down with Miami and get the 5th overall and 25th overall picks. Then I’d take Derrick Brown for the d-line and WR Hamler with the 25th pick. Hamler is one of my favorite receivers this draft and has a ton of talent which the Lions need.

1 Like

I’d think you’d have to send something back to get that second 1st rounder I’d think. #5 and their 2nd rounder is pretty even value. With QBs over pats are always possible though

QBs tend to have a lot of value so hopefully they’d overpay to get him in front of other teams. After the combine I’d be surprised if Hamler would drop out of the 1st round so I’d hope they can get that pick too.

Brown shouldn’t even be a consideration at #3. If Young and Burrow are gone it’s either Andrew Thomas or another QB. Badly reaching for a DT or CB at #3 is a sure fire way to lose your job.

I’d be pretty surprised if Hamler goes in the first. Hollywood Brown benefited from a much weaker WR class. I guess it depends what he runs. If he can run in John Ross range then it’s possible.

They also prefer Dlinemen that cause very little disruption and rarely get in the backfield on passing plays.

They also prefer 5th round draft picks over Pro Bowl alternates.

4 Likes

He is fast so it wouldn’t surprise me. I just want this team to have some fast talented players everywhere on offense and defense.

Still opt for trade down. If not, Brown or Thomas. Wouldn’t be upset with either.

1 Like