Another argument for Bijan

Szmyt, the kid out of Syracuse. He was so great early in his career (won the Lou Groza award as a true freshman) and has a cannon for a leg. Syracuse’s overall struggles affected him later in his career, he barely got a chance to do any kicking, but he’s got the goods for sure.

1 Like

I want the Lions to draft him just to have a jersey that reads Szmyt on the back

3 Likes

Differently from the way they were being played earlier in the season when Mitchell was hurt, yes. Differently than the rest of the time, not really. It’s always the #1 thing on the scouting report when going against SF. And while McCaffrey’s receiving ability adds a new dimension to their attack that has to be accounted for, so did Mostert and Brenda’s long speed, but McCaffrey doesn’t have. Not to their level at least.

Okay, well, he’s not so that’s a straw man argument… You’re also not getting the size or pass catching ability. Corum is a day 2 pick

An elite RB would be tempting, especially running behind this O-line, that has many strong run blockers on it. The draft is loaded with talented backs though, so I could see Holmes taking the value approach like he did with St. Brown in the 2021 draft, which was loaded with WR’s.

4 Likes

Going a step further, the 4 leading rushers in the NFL this season were Josh Jacobs, Derrick Henry, Nick Chubb and Saquon Barkley. So that’s 3 teams with losing records who missed out on the playoffs and one team who overachieved, were outclassed in the divisional round, and with a RB who might not be brought back next season.

2 Likes

I would love a Bijan in the offense. Just don’t know if it is worth the price if the first round pick. This pick more then any other has a shelf life. You don’t want to pay a RB a second contract. Gurley is a great example and why I really don’t think Bijan is in the cards. I’ll get behind it, who wouldn’t? But just don’t think it’s a reality.

2 Likes

yeah, I don’t want to argue myself out of a position. But I hope the Lions can find a three down back who can catch. Swift probably doesn’t get the second contract and Jamaal will be 29 next year

If Swift has better hands we might all be making plans to watch the Lions in the NFC championship game this weekend

2 Likes

My point is Robinson isnt some special generational rb if i can point to other RBs with the same attributes. On a handoff, id rather give it to Corum than Robinson. Is Robinsons receiving ability alone enough to propel him to cant miss 1st round pick over someome you just said was a day 2 pick?

1 Like

Pre bye week (McCaffrey was aquired 2 weeks prior but didn’t play full time yet) they were averaging 108 ypg, post bye week they averaged 156… They went from averaging 22ppg to 30ppg with a 3rd string QB… McCaffrey, IMO, saved their season.

3 Likes

Corum isn’t a complete package, Bijan is, so yes, his abilities alone propel him to a 1st round pick. I never said he was generational or a can’t miss pick… But he’s a complete player, who has top 5 production potential. There’s only one other player with that potential in this draft at that position and that’s Gibbs, but he doesn’t have the same size as Bijan.

2 Likes

We just value RBs differently. Im not taking any RB in the 1st unless i think he is a generational talent.

2 Likes

Purdy saved their season, but I get your point. The thing is throughout Shanahan’s history there the 49ers have been slow starters. Last year you could say Mitchell saved their season. He took over as starter when they had a middling record and they went all the way to the NFCCG.

My point is, of all the guys defenses have to scheme against, how many of them had major impacts on winning? McCaffrey I’ll give you (though I still say most RBs thrive in Shanny’s system, but I digress). Chubb, Henry, Jacobs? They all had losing records. The Colts haven’t made the playoffs since Jonathan Taylor took over as their lead back.

Saquon definitely helped the Giants, but even with such a star they barely made the playoffs (and wouldn’t have if that tie had been a loss, both us and Seattle would have gotten in over them), and eventually got steamrolled out of the playoffs. Is there future any brighter for having him? I’d say no. So much so they may not even bring him back.

So you’d rather take someone who isn’t graded as highly, maybe the 3rd or 4th best player at their position than take a player who’s unanimously the best player at their respective position? Just bc they play RB? Hypothetically, if Robinson is there at 18, we should take the 4th best corner instead of the best RB?

2 Likes

Well, you’re ignoring how good SF’s defense is too, which improved by 4ppg after the bye as well. Purdy has played well, no doubt, but they leaned on their defense and upped their production in the running game by adding a superior player. I’m not saying you NEED an all pro at the position, but it sure as hell makes everything easier for everyone when you do.

1 Like

Yes absoluty i would take the 4th best CB in this draft over Robinson.

1 Like

Fair enough, we’ll see how the whole thing plays out!!

I would too

thanks all for another respectful debate on this. I came away knowing more and thinking similarly but different about this all. You guys all rock, love this board

6 Likes

Wait, so Derrick Henry has 1500 yards plus in 3 of the last 4 years. The one year he didn’t he only played 8 games and still had 937. This year they missed the playoffs had nothing to do with Henry, teams lined up to take Henry away and the Titans had nothing at QB. Hell they were starting a dude 2 weeks off our practice squad. If Tannerhill doesn’t get hurt the Titans make the playoffs

2 Likes