Anthony Richardson Combine workout

You can go up and get a guy, but I really don’t see it happening that often at the top of the draft. Picks 5-15 maybe. But I don’t see it a ton in the top 5. Usually because those teams also need QBs. You were not going to trade up for Burrow that year because Cinci wanted Burrow. Or Lawrence two years ago. The Lions weren’t trading out of 1OA when they took Stafford.

I don’t think its a given that you can go up and get your guy. It may be impossible or so cost prohibitive that you decide against it. Like next year for Caleb Williams. Who knows what next year will bring, but you have to figure him being an odds on favorite for 1OA. If a QB needy team is drafting there, why trade down?

I thought it might be possible for Richardson, but it looks like what is going to happen is he is simply going to take Levis’ spot in the top 4 and Levis looks set to take the tumble. Pretty much leaves the Lions in the same lurch as before Richardson’s predictable ascent.

The biggest talking point is that you need a Mahomes or Allen to compete. Well, those guys didn’t come out of the top 5 AND their teams made moves to go get them. What’s wrong with that? When did a team HAVE to have the 1st overall pick just to get a franchise QB?

That draft also had Justin Herbert and Jalen Hurts. The draft doesn’t end after the 1st pick.

I don’t think Levis will fall that far. He still should be trade down bait that we can use.

2 Likes

What I hate about the idea that you can go get your qb anytime…

Imagine the Bills with a couple additional quality starters, or the chiefs, or the 49ers, for example. They are all weaker than they would have been if they had the luxury of not trading up. We have that luxury(maybe), if that’s a move we’re interested in.

Some say we can’t afford the move now because we need defense. There isn’t likely to be a point in time in the future where we’ll not have multiple positions that we feel okay not improving. There’s a built in fleece factor when making that trade up. You have to entice the trading team by over paying.

1 Like

The problem with Richardson is more than just… he needs time or polish. He needs to be taught how to play QB. And that’s not something everyone can learn. He doesn’t read defenses and get through progressions. He has very few NFL throws on his tape…most of his highlights even… are extremely late delivered off schedule throws… when he missed easy open reads first. He has zero experience doing any of the things that an NFL QB needs to do… He is an elite athlete which if you removed and looked at his passing ability… is a much later pick. Probably between rounds 3-5

2 Likes

Not really. He’s actually pretty far along in some ways but he’s not consistent. It’s the footwork that’s a mess.

There are plenty of reps where he works deep into his progressions

If you watch him think only of footwork. Man… It’s literally hard to find plays where he goes past the first option and delivers a pass in phase. And if he does… his accuracy is atrocious. As a pure passer he is way behind Josh Allen was coming out. He’s an athlete that plays some QB. Not the other way around. Read and recognition is still the #1 trait QBs need…

4 Likes

It’s not at all. There are a myriad of examples. That’s not to say he’s patient in the povket and disciplined with going through his reads all the time, but the proof of concept is readily apparent.

This is true. Which is a different argument that relates back to … wait for it … his shoddy footwork. His feet are quiet in the opener against Utah and he’s plenty accurate (though still not perfect). For whatever reason his feet became a mess thereafter.

He has a lot of tools to work with… but even Josh Allen progression is rare. And Richardson is far behind where he was. I’m not against a team drafting him with that much athletic potential… but his path for success is dependent on him growing a ton. I think he’s such a risk that he should be far behind the other 3 who have some real NFL QB traits that are obvious on tape.

2 Likes

There is nothing wrong with that. If Holmes can pull off something like that great. I guess my point was that I see a lot of this notion that you can just go get a QB whenever, and I just think “if only it were that easy”. The Lions put themselves in a great position to be choosy and have the ability to go up and get a guy, but that window is closing a bit now that the Goff picks will be gone. Doesn’t mean they can’t just trade future picks, but it does get harder to move. Its one of the reasons I felt the Lions may target AR. The time was right and the situation was right. And AR wasn’t going to be a top 3 guy. I actually wouldn’t be shocked to see them go up and get him, if they really love him (debatable for sure).

True enough, but also those teams didn’t trade up. Those teams drafted in their slot too.

I’m not even advocating drafting AR. There is significant risk that he can never quiet his footwork down enough to develop NFL accuracy. I just have zero concerns about his ability to navigate the pocket, manipulate coverage with his eyes and work deep into his progressions. There is plenty enough evidence of that for me.

1 Like

It bothers me he has only played 13 games of college football. It bothers me even more that with his NFL frame he was only able to put up 53% passing, 17 TDS, 11 INTS, in the air. He’s only 21 so I’m not sure why he wouldn’t use that time to develop at the college level.

Thats a red flag for me.

6 Likes

I don’t blame any kid for wanting to get paid. I’m sure he could’ve gotten seven figures NIL or close to it but he’s likely looking at a sogning bonus just shy of 20m.

1 Like

The Grinch Smiling GIF by The Good Films

That’s interesting because I noticed the one or two read passing thing too and questioned if it was their offense or if they had to simplify their offense because of AR’s inability to go through his progressions?!?
But I only watched his highlights which makes sense that his accuracy isnt good after the first or second read, then those plays probably wouldn’t show up on the highlight reel.

True, and what I hate the most is the idea of making that move and picking the wrong QB like Chicago did with Trubisky over Mahomes. Or possibly Trey Lance if he doesn’t work out and Fields does.

See guy…go get guy. Knowing what guy is the right guy is what is tricky. Moving up is not tricky.

My point was that Herbert wasn’t a top 5 pick and every team had a cheap chance to take Hurts. You brought up Burrow as if the draft stopped after he went #1. It didn’t.

2 Likes

This is funny. AR will be better off being a gadget player. Justin Fields is much better a QB than AR when he came out. And we all know how that is working out lol

1 Like

AR getting the playcall:
inspector gadget GIF

2 Likes

I’ve read well presented reasons why AR would and could be considered in the first round from multiple posters. For a while now.

I’d rather read the actual draft board than smug hyperbolic comments like that. But since none of us have access to the lions draft board I guess we’ll have to wait and see how things shake out.

Maybe he does fall out of the first round. The fourth is a reach.