Barnes is being scapegoated AGAIN, ridiculous

2026 PFF Breakdown

  • Overall Grade: 68.9 (26th out of 72 qualifying linebackers)

  • Coverage Grade: 80.5 (6th out of 72 qualifying linebackers)

  • Pass-Rush Grade: 65.5 (29th out of 72 qualifying linebackers)

  • Run Defense Grade: 41.1 (70th out of 72 qualifying linebackers) [1]

Again, fwiw and it’s all relative, but being ranked 70th out of 72 in run defense is a problem.

1 Like

We are all anonymous.

2 Likes

Again tho. When your liked up on the LOS. And blitzing 55% of the time. His job is to get into thr backfield. Not defend the run

Thats the issue.

1 Like

I will give cap credit on one point–the numbers don’t add up.

Total Snaps: 214 (120 in coverage, 64 in run defense, 30 as a pass rusher)

120 snaps in coverage or 56% of the time. Yet, Barnes’ coverage grade is 6th out of 72, so it would at least appear that in pass coverage, he’s at or near Pro Bowl level.

30 snaps as a pass rusher or 14%. 29th out of 72 is certainly respectable with 2 sacks & 5 pressures.

So, the only explanation is that in his 64 run defense snaps (30%), Barnes has been horrendous or, perhaps, the reason certain big plays have occurred at inopportune times in the run game and Barnes wasn’t where he was supposed to be in terms of his assignment.

1 Like

Say that is true and he is not where he is supposed to be:

  1. After 3 weeks he was 2nd on the team in tackles with 21, so out of 64 plays he made 21 tackles or assists this around 33% of the snaps. With two other linebackers on the field that is about his share, he was recorded with 1 missed tackle. I would think it would be hard to make a tackle if you are not at least close to where you are suppose to be.He also had 3 TFL and 2 sacks.

  2. Coach Sheppard is giving the leader of the defense a pass in the category along with horrible coverage grades ,( Jack Campbell).

  3. It Is a consensus on this board and almost all media outlets that the problem with the Lions defense is coverage, in the first three weeks Barnes excelled in that area recording the Lions only interception. No one is complaining about his ability to cover, so why does it make sense to scapegoat Barnes.

  4. Barnes has always been a team player and will do anything to make this defense better, IF his gap assignments were a problem that is very fixable. However run defense was not the problem for the first three weeks pass defense was, so how can you fix the pass defense problem by taking someone out who was doing well and that category. The run defense has not been sited as a big area of concern, so again why scapegoat Barnes, I will not believe by any stretch of the imagination that Barnes’ run defense is the cause of all the chunk plays and scoring that has happened.

One other significant point is this had to happen in the span of two games because he got the defensive game ball after the first game.

1 Like

Gotta be the worst use of a time machine, ever.

Sci-Fi Metrocolor GIF by Turner Classic Movies

Though, thinking about it more, how would we know if it was?

Buffering Wait What GIF

1 Like

Wow, valid point I overlooked in my emotional ranting. Much like the non professional sports world, we talk to each other about companies, bosses, colleagues, etc. on the culture, working there, etc.

1 Like

Depends on how far south.

I respect much of what you say, very intelligent and well thought out. I agree with the overall intent of your post, but in no way do I get any of my role models from sport. I know that’s subjective and each person is different, but the last place I look for role models is in professional sports. Great athletes and I love watching them do things I physically can’t, but role models? Nah, not for me anyways. As for coaches, I highly respect what they do and how some go about their business, but not generally the kind of life I want to emulate.

2 Likes

Again, not my opinion. I’d fire him. But was given to me as rationale for the hesitance IN SOME CASES.

No one is questioning Pleasant getting canned. What he did was a coaching nono.

1 Like

I take PFF with a huge grain of salt. But those numbers are quite surprising. You’d think the run defense and coverage grades would be flipped.

4 Likes

I take your point. I am also thinking about this from a locker room perspective (while I’ve never played football, I played basketball at a high level). I am not sure the players will buy what he’s selling if he stay’s the course. They are being asked tough questions in interviews but can’t answer honestly and they likely have an answer. I think he’s risking his reputation inside and outside the locker room at the moment. But reasonable people may disagree, of course.

2 Likes

nobody got fired and I doubt anyone will, they don’t have the balls to just fire someone that clearly isn’t doing their job well at all.

1 Like

Scapegoats are rampant in Lions nation. To many people listen to the pundits rather than using their own ability to reason.

It’s not the players fault.

It’s probably not Kelvin Sheppards fault.

Somebody hired these people.

Wait, everyone has an ability to reason?

3 Likes

Point taken.

My bad.

1 Like

I wish Rodrigo’s dad would also join the board.

3 Likes


KarlKaliente

1h

I wish Rodrigo’s dad would also join the board.

Who said he’s not on the board, ananymity.

2 Likes

Say what? Shep is a player…

1 Like

LMAO, that is hilarious.