Ben Johnson is Killing It

Very average? Okaaay.

That kind of “average” every game wins you a SuperBowl most likely.

So far ONLY ONE QB has an average higher than 121 over the first two games. Not sure what your definition of average is?

He’s missing his spots more frequently than ideal. I know that you can see that.

4 Likes

I hope Cephus isn’t a tell for those ARSB end-arounds. I noticed in the slowlights he was the lead blocker on both and he only played what, like 6 plays on offense? I trust Ben to fake it a few times to overturn tendencies, but I definitely noticed it.

4 Likes

If a stat says that Goff is in the bottom 7 of quarterbacks thus far in 2022, I think I’ll trust my eyes over that stat.

2 Likes

You are picking one metric and basing your opinion on that. Can I say that TB12 can’t run the ball and therefore he sucks? QB Rating takes everything into account and the game that Goff just had was better than any two game average for any QB not named Mahomes.

@CuriousHusker has been one of Goff’s biggest defenders on here, he’s not just saying it to be anti-Goff. He’s saying it because it’s what he sees. And I agree with him, Goff has been fine.

2 Likes

Yep. Imagine JaMo on those end arounds. Nobody is catching him.

1 Like

With Sun God laying out any fool trying to get in the way.

1 Like

Goff’s accuracy has been slightly off, but that nextgen stat is surely impacted by all the drops too. He is supposedly working on new footwork that may help him with quicker throws but his accuracy is not per usual yet?

Goff looks fine to me. No deer in headlights. Able to get plays off despite the line breaking down a fair amount. I think he can play better and I think that WRs can reduce their drops. Aman Ra even had another drop making for 3 on the season when he had 1 or zero last season.

3 Likes

I would imagine if you talked to Jared he’d also believe that he can, should and aill be more accurate.

4 Likes

This is the key to a good Goff. Well our awesome OL is the key, that’s what keeps the headlights out of his eyes.

2 Likes

I agree he could be better…and I agree that he would say he has to be better…just like every other player out there.

Goff said it himself after the game, he wanted several plays back and they should have scored 50! So yea, he played decent, but it could have been even better. That’s exciting to me that Goff recognizes that. He’s very lucky the one pass in his own end wasn’t intercepted as well. That could have been trouble.

5 Likes

It’s also been against 2 of the most disruptive DLs in the league and with a patchwork OL. The the Lions offense has exceeded my expectations so far.

There is obvious room for growth and will hopefully get more contributions from Hock and Chark (plus Jamo at some point).

4 Likes

Well, except our awesome OL wasn’t quite so awesome in pass pro against Philly by pretty much all accounts. And Goff wasn’t “rattled”. I think the claim that he needs a perfect OL to be decent is overstated.

2 Likes

I see MCDC and Ben Johnson understand the fact it’s a “team” sport and synergy is more important…
I don’t care if he tossed 5 ints, as long as we win… as a team

Right and neither was Goff until that unit came around in the 2nd half. He’s skittish in the pocket when he doesn’t have faith but the good thing is he knows it and works on standing in there. The first TD pass to ARSB was excellent cause he knew he was about to get hit. A touch of fortune to it as well IMO but he gave one of our best players a chance, which you love to see. The next test will be how he plays when he’s getting hit a lot, it happens to even the best OLs.

He took a lot of hits in this game if you watch the replays. The slow mo ones by sand man really show how the OL did great at times and broke down on others.

I don’t think it’s about getting hit so much as he wants to have faith that the guys will run where he thinks they will. He talked about his faith in Aman Ra. That he does the little things like come back to the ball so that the defender can’t make a play on it.

Stenberg is a real liability in pass pro. He’s pretty solid in the run game, but his feet are too slow in pass pro, it’s lead to Goff taking several hits the past 2 weeks, including giving up a sack in both games.

I also realize he’s playing out of position, and we have no other options.

3 Likes

Exactly what i noticed too.

Cephus had at least a couple more great blocks against the Eagles too, not on that play, but he is turning into an outstanding blocker.

Agree - but only if the timing was the same.
The beautiful thing about that first jet sweep, and the reason they faked out the camera man and most viewers, is that Amon Ra was in motion and looked like he passes Goff before the ball is snapped. The key to that play is having your C, QB, and WR time the hand-off just right. It takes alot of reps to get it right. Its a detail that undoubtedly ARSB pays attention too. I hope that attention to detail rubs off on Jamo. Goff and Brown deserve alot of credit on that play too.

2 Likes