Ben Johnson is Killing It

JW ran 10.5 in the 100m in 10th grade … then it looks like he focused mostly on training for the 300m hurdles, and less on sprints for some reason. Ran 37.2 in the 300 hurdles, also as a 10th grader.

I cant tell you how fast that is for a 16 year old.

His start-stop looks even better.

2 Likes

I do believe that Goff can be better than he was today. That would get him into a conversation with the better QBs in the game.

He was good today. But he can absolutely be better and he showed it at times.

So is it bad reads? bad accuracy? not being on same page as receivers? These are all improvable. He still has upside. Can this staff get it out of him? I am going to say they can.

2 Likes

Cephus also had a key block on the long kick return by Raymond. As well as making a tackle as a gunner. He’s earning his roster spot with good special teams play and blocking hard on offense. Great to see he’s not all about catches and stats.

3 Likes

His best position is LG, correct? Wondered why Skipper and he didn’t switch it up. Not enough time for reps is the only thing I could guess.
We have two other G’s that I hope put some pressure on Stenberg.

1 Like

He will be a HC candidate in a couple of years if he keeps this up!

Enjoy him while we can

Totally agree. I think that was the biggest issue last season.

Not sure if it was the Lynn offense that caused the uncertainty or if it was the utter dearth of talent at the WR position (or some combination of the two), but once Dan and Ben took control of the passing offense, picked up Reynolds, and got Sun God more involved, those sorts of “uncertainty” issues went away.

2 Likes

Skipper wasn’t even on the active roster until 24 hours before the game. I think they were hoping Jonah was going to be able to play. Amazing how well Skipper did due to the circumstances.

6 Likes

You know who the offense is starting to remind me of… the Saints of the past with Sean Payton running the show, who MC/DC learned under for 5 years. The Saints always ran the ball well, and then used play action to take shots.

5 Likes

Once we get Jameson our offense if really going to take off.
on a side note. I would take Wright over Hock any day of the week.

2 Likes

Yeah lightening fast, typical progression a HS kid will knock off 0.2-0.3 a year.

Which as a HS SR would put him in that 9.9-10.1 range. Not sure what Tyreek Hill ran but my guess would be something similar to that

I was just thinking that next week they should run that same play with the same personnel and have Cephus run a slant and go where he feigns blocking. Have Goff pull it and chuck it deep to Cephus.

2 Likes

What is the Ben Johnson offense?

I was thinking that there were a lot of Rams plays like the jet sweep, play action and up and outs. To me, it looked like I was watching the 2018 rams offense minus a few things like naked boot and fly sweeps. Not that any of these are signature Rams plays as they’ve existed forever. It’s more the rhythm of them. Try and get favorable matchups and keep the defense guessing.

Look at the Jet sweep that got 50 yards by Aman Ra. Then they ran it again the opposite direction in the 4th quarter. Vintage McVay play calling.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s necessary to do something like that just to break tendency. Could also hit St. Brown on a pseudo-wheel route once the D realizes he doesn’t have the ball.

3 Likes

Use St. Brown as a decoy, like this!!

1 Like

I was at work earlier and didn’t have time to post it…
but I was gonna say the same thing about Cephus faking the block…
and I wonder if ARSB could take the handoff and throw it to Cephus? Not sure how well he can throw it… but I bet he could do it.

1 Like

When Cabinda comes back, it will open up even more of the playbook for Johnson.

Notice the lack of threads complaining about the predicable play calling? Ben johnson is doing a great job. If the fans cant tell what is coming then maybe the defense doesn’t either.

2 Likes

In some ways, but it takes a playmaker off the field to have Cabinda out there. It would allow for some I formation, but that’s about it.

I think I prefer the 6 man o-line we keep using instead of a fullback. Matt Nelson played 10 snaps at TE last week. Swift has shown he doesn’t need a fullback. The running game has been very good behind the 6 man O-line.

Cabinda is good on special teams though, so he has value. And we might use a FB in short yardage. Don’t see him getting too many snaps on offense IMO.

2 Likes

Yeah, I think there will be a pivot to accentuate Chark against the Viking while the focus has to be on St Brown and Swift. He’s better than he’s shown to this point.

I’d like to see that
Chark needs touches
It would help take the offense to another level
I believe we will see more variations on plays from same sets. And a new play of two each week.
I noticed this last year and I expect to see much more of that this year.
Two games in, teams are just getting on their feet