Bevell calls Swift a super talented complete RB

Swift is an Elite Prospect because of the whole package he offers at the position …
Has Elite speed for his size (height and weight) , has Elite feet and Elite Vision a dual threat in the run and pass game …
In today’s NFL Swift would probably be drafted before Barry and Sims as prospects …

Of the RB’s you listed Barkley is the only RB I draft ahead of Swift from that list …McCaffrey who I also loved would be a tough choice… because McCaffrey is not what I deem as a complete RB

Dobbins & Swift were my #1 & #2 for us … Dobbins ahead of him but Swift a better fit here for a comity role… and lack of tread wear is appealing as well…both incredibly talented RB’s

1 Like

Richard Sherman was drafted in the 5th round. He was FAR from an elite prospect. 20+ CB’s were taken in front of him.

Okudah wasn’t an elite prospect. Possibly the best CB in this draft but time will tell.

2 Likes

Your memory must be slipping a bit…

Nope not at all …

If I had a say and had it my way for the Lions …Taylor would be our RB in a Power Run Scheme.
A pure talent for what I covet, in the system I would run and want for the Lions …Taylor would have been my choice … I have no say , it’s what I would want for the Lions in the scheme I desire .

As we are now with Darrell Bevell, in the system we currently run and having no say in the matter and for what fit with what we are doing here now and trying to do …it was Dobbins and Swift in that order for me …with Dobbins in my opinion being the better RB to carry the Load should KJ go down again and have to have volume carries .

You already knew that though :thinking:…you quoted my post above in an attempt to do what exactly ?
According to you I’m the cancer though , I start shit though …that’s what you cry to the Mods… but here you are again … I don’t mind but don’t cry to the Mods when you get it in return :wink:

Amazing and predictable Snags…You leave out the post that I made that was 2 posts down and 9 minutes apart from the one you quoted in that same thread …
https://lionstalk.com/t/banging-the-table-for-clyde-edwards-helaire/3820/33?u=newyorklion

So when I do the same to you and come at you ( But do it correctly and be valid in my burn ) are you going to cry to the Mods?

Why can’t Swift be Kamara in this offense? Kamara didn’t do it by himself, remember he had Mark Ingram.

“No one will be pounding the table for a RB that does not pass block all that well and one that runs in the 4.6 range” - NYL

A 5ft 7 205 lb RB ran back to back 4.61 & 4.62 40’s ??? All the hype and how he was the 2nd best RB in the draft are going to change by the so called pundits in 24 hours . - NYL

Where did you say Swift was your first choice here in Detroit?
I don’t recall you ever saying that, you were pounding under the table for Dobbins and how well he fit here…and now you’re somehow changing it to Swift???
Man, you are all over the place.

You really have zero reading comprehension skills…it’s pathetic .

I’ve never, EVER said …Swift was my first choice … So if I’ve never said it… how can I be all over the place??? You need to slow down, read and absorb before you post …get your shit straight.

Swift is my first choice, and he will prove why - SOON! Can’t wait for football. This hypothetical stuff is about to get settled.

In this offense, with this QB, and this OC, with these WRs, Swift is gonna rip it up!
KJ will take a lot of his reps and keep him healthy for playoffs.

Who cares about numbers? Dude is gonna crush it, when he gets the touches.

Swift is my first choice, and he will prove why - SOON! Can’t wait for football. This hypothetical stuff is about to get settled.

In this offense, with this QB, and this OC, with these WRs, Swift is gonna rip it up!
KJ will take a lot of his reps and keep him healthy for playoffs.

Who cares about numbers? Dude is gonna crush it, when he gets the touches.
boom im there with you big natty .

I’ll take ClintonPortis rookie year stats baby!! Go find them; read them and weep happy tears!!

None of this matters When, where, and how he got his touches doesn’t matter to the point.

Chubb averaged 12 carries a game. He started the season slow due to injury and due to the fact he was splitting time with Carlos Hyde.

All Swift has to due is average 12 carries a game at 5+ yards a carry to equal Chubb’s rookie season.

Like Chubb I think Swift starts out slow. Maybe getting 5-8 carries a game max early on. KJ can’t seem to stay healthy. Which means Swift would get those carries when KJ goes down with injury. I think Swift can easily match Chubb. I also think Swift is a better receiver than Chubb. As a result I think he will have better receiving stats as well.

FYI - Chubb only had 192 carries on the entire 16 game season.

One more point - Last year the Lions averaged 25 carries a game as a team. Sea was just shy of 30 carries a game. I think the Lions want to be closer to the 30 carries a game category. If we are … then 15 carries or more is very doable for Swift.

15 Carries @ 4.5 per carry is over 1000 yrds rushing. I think it’s very possible either Swift or KJ will be the beneficiary of a 1000+ yard season. My money is on Swift.

1 Like

I don’t agree for 2 reasons … I firmly think RB’s who are work horses/volume carries RB’s in the NFL the way Chubb is and was the last 10 games of his rookie season and in 2019 allows the RB to get into a rhythm, read & set up defenders and benefit from all running situations , on all downs , when defenders are fresh and when defenders are tired late …especially in the stats/averages department.

It also allows for potentially 40 carries against a Division opponent should they be a poor run Defense or a couple of 20 carry games against a few cupcake run defenses as opposed to limited carries against 12 different opponents of varying run defense ability …For the Lions 8 Home games on Turf in a dome at 20 carries a game is also a benefit

A RB of Swifts talent and skill set on say 18 to 20 carries a game would afford him the opportunity to pop off 2 or 3 long gainers in a way a 8-10 carry RB does not get …
Like Barry Sanders … If we had him in a committee how many games would his stat sheet look poor without the benefit of volume carries and popping off a few of the long gainers .

I know that… I wrote “Chubb touched the ball 196 times over the final 10 weeks” not carries

With Stafford at QB for Half the season … the Lions RB’s avg 23 carries a game

With Stafford not at QB for the other Half …the Lions RB’s avg 21 carries a game

I can see 25 to 30 carries a game as a target for our RB’s…Wanting and getting are not the same and very dependent on how good our Defense is… The better our Defense the more carries they will see and in this scenario I think the Lions would love to have BO getting the carries late … I can really see this season as a true 3 headed monster …limiting all of the RB’s

Seems a bit of a strawman argument to me. Chubb’s carries went up when Hyde went down with injury. He still only had 196 carries all season. Which averages 12 per game. That’s less than 1/2 of the available carries that Swift could get in the DET system that runs at least 25 times a game. Also I think it’s a safe assumption that KJ will get hurt and when he does Swift carries will go up closer to 20 carries a game. Much like Chubb’s did.

I’m not following you here. What do touches have to do with rushing stats? (We were talkings carries)
What point are you trying to make with this? Besides he had 201 touches the last 10 games not 196. But I have no idea why this even matters here.

I think we’re getting off track here anyway. It’s really simple. Last year the Lions ran the ball 401 times. I suspect it will be more like 480 this year. If Swift can get 200 of those carries he has a great chance of topping 1000 yards.

Simple math suggests Swift has a very good chance

I hope Swift beats out KJ in camp. He is a lot more talented IMO and shouldn’t be used as a 1b kind of guy if he proves he is better

I just want a rushing attack that has to be respectEd with more in the box and they step up as well in Passpro!

With the Covid offseason derailing mini camp and training camp my guess is that KJ starts but Swift takes over as the lead back by mid season.

1 Like

A Strawman’s argument ? …not even a little bit .

First off Chubb was a 3rd string RB and avg 2.5 touches per game through his first 6 games, never seeing more than 3 carries in any of those 6 games … Chubb was a Special Teams coverage player & played 3rd fiddle to Carlos Hyde and Duke Johnson with a scrap carry or two while Hyde was on the team…
Chubb’s carries went up because they traded Hyde to the Jaguars …not because of an injury to Hyde.

What are you not following ? You replied with your FYI comment that had no relevance to what I had written. It’s clear …you read what I wrote wrong . Your mistake see below

Touches have nothing to do with carries alone …( The thread you started was about Swift the complete RB) I replied to BigNatty in his comparison of Jacobs to Swift and the comparison you made of Swift to Chubb which was not about carries alone …and if Swift could match that total production.

Carries alone was not the topic …quite the opposite.
Carries alone was brought up by you, only in response to me saying Swift’s chances were unlikely to match because Jacobs & Chubb were used as Bell Cows… Your response of Chubb only avg 12 carries a game was not relevant to me saying Chubb was used as a Bell Cow .

Here you go again (above) with another failed FYI moment from you to me … you are again wrong. He did not have 201 touches the last 10 games it was 196 touches like I first said …

As to why it matters here ? That goes back to my first point …Averaging 12 carries a game is not conducive to a 1000 yard season, not when you get those carries fairly evenly across a 16 game season …

Chubb was not used as a 12 carry a game RB. He had 192 carries on the season over 16 games which avg’s out to 12 , but that paints a picture that he was used in a committee fashion …That was not the case or his role .
A 12 carry a game RB is used differently, that makes you a committee RB & usually with a defined role.

When a RB gets a measly 2.6 touches per game for the first 6 games and then your role changes and you avg 19.6 touches per game over the final 10 games , averaging the touches over a 16 game season is not accurate, not when 92% of all of your seasons touches took place over the last 10 games .

If Swift had a Clinton Portis type career, that would not only be a successful draft pick, but he’d rank No. 2 all time on the Lions rushing yards list.

3 Likes

Chubb Game Log 2018:

Like your optimism.

Kerryon Johnson needs 467 yards this season to pass Garry James for No. 25 all-time on the Lions rushing yards leaders list.

Over/under on whether he makes it?

I will say slightly over–around 500 yards rushing.

1 Like