Bryce Young- is he even 5’11”?

The chance of Anderson going 1 is extremely low. I’ll take that bet all day long.

2 Likes

The Alabama o-line is so crappy that they struggle to even use Gibbs between the tackles because they’re not winning the battle and he’s not powerful or violent. They have to use the other guy. That’s not something you would see with the Detroit Lions. We consistently win the line of scrimmage battle. That’s why Jamaal Williams leads the league in TDs.

1 Like

Houston is taking a QB at 1OA.

I doubt Anderson goes top 2.

If I were the Lions and had Anderson and Carter to choose from I might just take Carter over Anderson. That’s a tough call. Probably deserves it’s own thread.

2 Likes

Stroud is currently plus 190… Young and Anderson are +250… Levis is plus 1400

I could be dead wrong but this is what I see playing out…

Will Anderson will blow up the combine. His work ethic and motivation of teammates is top shelf. I see him going all in to combine train… IE- Saquon…. If he’s 6’4” and 245-250 and runs 4.5 with agility numbers to match and a solid vertical and bench…. Then he’s in the Von or Garrett territory. He could be a Derrick Thomas or LT type edge. His stock will go up with a sack or 2 in the bowl and then kill the combine

CJ Stroud- he’s a lightning rod here due to yesterdays game…. MHJ aside… let’s not forget he played all year without what was thought to be the nations #1 WR- his stats over the past 2 years are better across the board than Young. He’s likely 4-5” taller and will likely run about the same. I think he should play in the bowl and light it up, and then stand next to Young as often as possible at the combine. STROUD ISNT THOUGHT OF AS A FIERY LEADER… IF HE CHOOSES TO PLAY IN THE BOWL GAME AND PLAYS WELL IT COULD MOVE THE NEEDLE…. That said? He may prefer to end up in Carolina, Detroit, etc. Houston is a true mess

Young- will be okay on the bowl game? Rest to stay healthy? Whether it’s fair or not, not getting Bama to the BCS will be an indictment of him. Like Goff in 2019- When he measure small as hell, and doesn’t have 60mph ball speed, many may wonder what makes him elite?

Spoiler alert- I think Jamo made him elite. He ran around and improvised until Jamo was gone!

J Carter- he will have a shot to show off these next 3 games. I don’t care what scheme he’s in… if you are FREAK… throw the guy across from you on the ground and kill the QB. That seems to work in any scheme. If he’s truly capable of ragging guys like AD, then he should ask his coach to let him to help his draft status.

• combine will be huge for him. Sub 4.9 forty with 1.66 10 yards…. 28 plus bench. 33” plus vertical. Unless he kills the combine, his Jack of production will scare people.

Start one. I’d love to see that.

Just did.

2 Likes

I agree with a lot of that. I don’t think the NFL is nearly hung up on Bryce’s size as some on this board though. The 1970s called and they want their big burly QB back.

1 Like

Brother. He’s spud Webb small though.

Spud Webb was/is 5’7".

I think Bryce may measure 5’9. He’s clearly shorter than Metchie and not a bunch taller than Saban

I used spud as he was a novelty act at 5’7”…

I Thomas 6’1”
A Iverson 6’0”
C Paul 6’0”
Steph Curry 6’2”
Ja Morant 6’2”
Trae Young 6’1”
Donavan Mitchell 6’1”
Kyrie 6’2”
John Stockton 6’1”
Steve Nash 6’3”
Russel Westbrook 6’3
Kenny Anderson 6’1”
Kevin Johnson 6’1”

Most of the top PGs in NBA history are 6’1”-6’2” on average… many also at 6’4” ish…

Kind of like nfl QBs at 6’2” to 6’3” on average and outliers at 6’5 or 6’6” like Allen and Herbert…

There are very, very few top rated PGs in NBA history under 5’11”

Same with NFL QBs.

Charlie Casserly made the same call, with Houston no less, and got fired for his efforts. DE’s don’t sell Jerseys and season tickets. I would trust pretty much every single regular on this board, and definitely you Rick, to make a better call than Cal McNair. Never underestimate the ability of ego tripping ownership to F up a wet dream.

5’9" now, he’s shrinking like an inch a day. In less that 2 weeks he’ll be 4 foot something. :grinning:

2 Likes

mini GIF

Bryce Young in the mind of the Denizens, pre-combine. :laughing: :rofl: :joy:

3 Likes

Bryce Young is short, yes.

And it won’t matter.

In four years, the conversation will be ‘remember when teams passed on Bryce Young because he was too short? Oh man that was a huge mistake.’

4 Likes

IMO,Young’s closest equivalent in terms of size is QB Kyler Murray, on the Arizona Cardinals, listed at 5’10". Looking at both on a weekly basis, I don’t envision Young to vary more than 1" either way. Both have escape ability skills, galore. QB Young’s estimated weight is 185lbs, QB Murray is 207lbs. Playing behind an average to good OL could limit the risk of QB Young’s being exposed to potential bone-jarring hits behind the line-of-scrimmage. However, that doesn’t mean Young wouldn’t incur them from time-to-time. What’s the level of risk a team is willing to bet 1-2/game?, 3-4/game?..Multiply that number over a 17 Game season + Playoffs. Anything more and its not a topic of discussion in a typical NFL Warroom.

QB Murray has already incurred a length injury history at 207lbs-listed weight. He’s missed 3 games in 2021 and 2 games already in 2022, as a baseline comparison, behind a suspect Arizona OL. Murray gets balls batted down at the line-of-scrimmage, too. A potential problem with Young in the NFL as well.

Bottom Line: If my closest comparison or even similar comparison is Arizona’s QB Murray, I’d be rather cautious at #1 Pick in the Draft. QB Young’s upside is higher than QB Murray, but the risk of constant injury and potential continual multi-game absence to injury is too much for me to risk long term, even if a team has an average to good OL. Give me Nix or Penix, or even UCLA’s QB flyer, in the 5th, if the Lions are serious about developing a potentially decent #2, who may evolve into a future starter in 2-3 years, from a cost/benefit perspective.

I’m hoping the new expanded playoffs actually have more good/great players in them because they don’t want to let their team down in a meaningful game.

1 Like

All it does is give you less plays to evaluate a player by. You have to cut out the plays where the team simply out-talented the other side and focus on the plays that are more similar to things the guy will face in the NFL. Mac Jones is a good example. He often times never had to leave his first read or get away from the original play design. But when you watched him on plays where that wasn’t the case, it was clear the guy could process information extremely quickly and could have played for a college where it was the norm to have to go thru your progressions.

1000%

The fact that we are pulling Drew Brees was 6’ and 210 pounds, Russell Wilson was 5’11” and 208 pounds, or Kyler at 5’10 and 207…. Is the point…

3 guys in 25 years? Two of which were not first round picks largely based on height? Let’s be honest…. Nobody really regretted the day they passed on Drew Brees… he was a let walk away by the team that “stole” him in the 2nd round and they drafted a QB again…. Russ was a perfect fit at the perfect time on a run first team with a dominant defense… and Kyler Murray is now the most overpaid QB in the league….

Yes in a Time Machine I take drew Bree’s atop round 2 all day…. Hell atop round 1…

BTW-

Jim McMahon was 6’1” 190
Montana was 6’2” 205
Steve Young 6’2” 215
Brett Favre 6’2” 220
It’s not like 40 years ago all QBs were 6’5”

It’s just that Bryce will literally be one of the 4-5 smallest starting QBs in the history of the sport.

That’s reaching for guys like Chase Daniel, T Boykin, J Manzeiel, Seneca Wallace, and Baker Mayfield.

I don’t think that conversation happens bc I think he goes #1OA.

I think if you really pay close attention running QBs get hurt more often than small QBs. Cam Newton, Daunte Culpepper, Taysom Hill, none of these guys are small.

Yet, there is Tom Brady out there, 45 years old, and let me tell you as a guy in that age range, we get injured more easily, and he’s still playing. Because he’s not running around (at least not on the football field, he is single now).

So not worried at all about Bryce. Smart player. Will avoid potential danger. Of course he can still get hurt, it’s football after all.

2 Likes