Bryce Young- is he even 5’11”?

Bryce Young is short, yes.

And it won’t matter.

In four years, the conversation will be ‘remember when teams passed on Bryce Young because he was too short? Oh man that was a huge mistake.’

4 Likes

IMO,Young’s closest equivalent in terms of size is QB Kyler Murray, on the Arizona Cardinals, listed at 5’10". Looking at both on a weekly basis, I don’t envision Young to vary more than 1" either way. Both have escape ability skills, galore. QB Young’s estimated weight is 185lbs, QB Murray is 207lbs. Playing behind an average to good OL could limit the risk of QB Young’s being exposed to potential bone-jarring hits behind the line-of-scrimmage. However, that doesn’t mean Young wouldn’t incur them from time-to-time. What’s the level of risk a team is willing to bet 1-2/game?, 3-4/game?..Multiply that number over a 17 Game season + Playoffs. Anything more and its not a topic of discussion in a typical NFL Warroom.

QB Murray has already incurred a length injury history at 207lbs-listed weight. He’s missed 3 games in 2021 and 2 games already in 2022, as a baseline comparison, behind a suspect Arizona OL. Murray gets balls batted down at the line-of-scrimmage, too. A potential problem with Young in the NFL as well.

Bottom Line: If my closest comparison or even similar comparison is Arizona’s QB Murray, I’d be rather cautious at #1 Pick in the Draft. QB Young’s upside is higher than QB Murray, but the risk of constant injury and potential continual multi-game absence to injury is too much for me to risk long term, even if a team has an average to good OL. Give me Nix or Penix, or even UCLA’s QB flyer, in the 5th, if the Lions are serious about developing a potentially decent #2, who may evolve into a future starter in 2-3 years, from a cost/benefit perspective.

I’m hoping the new expanded playoffs actually have more good/great players in them because they don’t want to let their team down in a meaningful game.

1 Like

All it does is give you less plays to evaluate a player by. You have to cut out the plays where the team simply out-talented the other side and focus on the plays that are more similar to things the guy will face in the NFL. Mac Jones is a good example. He often times never had to leave his first read or get away from the original play design. But when you watched him on plays where that wasn’t the case, it was clear the guy could process information extremely quickly and could have played for a college where it was the norm to have to go thru your progressions.

1000%

The fact that we are pulling Drew Brees was 6’ and 210 pounds, Russell Wilson was 5’11” and 208 pounds, or Kyler at 5’10 and 207…. Is the point…

3 guys in 25 years? Two of which were not first round picks largely based on height? Let’s be honest…. Nobody really regretted the day they passed on Drew Brees… he was a let walk away by the team that “stole” him in the 2nd round and they drafted a QB again…. Russ was a perfect fit at the perfect time on a run first team with a dominant defense… and Kyler Murray is now the most overpaid QB in the league….

Yes in a Time Machine I take drew Bree’s atop round 2 all day…. Hell atop round 1…

BTW-

Jim McMahon was 6’1” 190
Montana was 6’2” 205
Steve Young 6’2” 215
Brett Favre 6’2” 220
It’s not like 40 years ago all QBs were 6’5”

It’s just that Bryce will literally be one of the 4-5 smallest starting QBs in the history of the sport.

That’s reaching for guys like Chase Daniel, T Boykin, J Manzeiel, Seneca Wallace, and Baker Mayfield.

I don’t think that conversation happens bc I think he goes #1OA.

I think if you really pay close attention running QBs get hurt more often than small QBs. Cam Newton, Daunte Culpepper, Taysom Hill, none of these guys are small.

Yet, there is Tom Brady out there, 45 years old, and let me tell you as a guy in that age range, we get injured more easily, and he’s still playing. Because he’s not running around (at least not on the football field, he is single now).

So not worried at all about Bryce. Smart player. Will avoid potential danger. Of course he can still get hurt, it’s football after all.

2 Likes

Meh. I get kind of tired of the Lions having small, skinny guys at a lot of the skill positions. I think a QB with a stronger build will almost always hold up better over the long term.

Contrary to popular opinion, QB’s still take hits, and have 330lb lineman landing on them. There is a reason most football players are built like football players … you need some armor on a day to day basis to protect yourself.

People were worried about Tua’s size, and he’s built like a tank compared to Bryce.

I don’t like the name Bryce either.

1 Like

Radishthegreat Yo Ding Dong Man GIF - Radishthegreat Yo Ding ...

1 Like

Dude do you ever actually watch teams play ? You seem like you just use stats without actually watching. You really can’t see a difference between the 2 ?

5 Likes

Except of course that Levis has a bigger arm, much quicker release, is bigger and significantly more mobile. But other than that, he doesn’t bring ANYTHING that Goff doesn’t already… :roll_eyes: Guess we are in the phase of I like this QB, so that other QB would OBVIOUSLY be benched on a pee wee league team…

Classic.

Brees pushed the ball forward for “short” QBs. Russell Wilson’s success took what Drew built and made it possible for a guy like Kyler Murray to get drafted 1st overall. I wouldn’t pay much attention to things that happened prior to the last 5 or so years with the rule changes and the success of shorter QBs.

Don’t forget Mike Vick!!!

If Levis ever learned how to play football as well as Goff, a team is going to love him. The problem with Levis isn’t the physical traits. That’s why my comp for him is Mitch Trubisky.

Perfectly fine to feel this way. Not accurate to claim Levis brings nothing more to the table than Goff, because from a physical trait standpoint he brings a LOT more than Goff does. Will it translate? No one EVER knows until a QB does or does not at the NFL level. Then what is/was the team around him. Did he get a real shot? I do know this, we can’t wait forever to take a swing on a rookie QB, because unless Goff does quickly take us to playoff wins, the staff won’t be around to develop a rookie. It will be someone else’s job.

1 Like

I think we can afford to wait until 2024 to draft a QB if the perfect situation doesn’t present itself this next draft. If that’s the plan we’ll probably see Brad move some draft capital back into '24.

4 Likes

Depends. I know “abandon ship” was being hurled prior to the Chicago game. If we miss the playoffs this year and don’t take a QB, then miss the playoffs again, saying we NOW are going to take our rookie QB, so give us a couple years to see how it works out, not gonna happen.

1 Like

Let me say this a little bit clearer.

Levis…in my opinion…will never be able to process information on Goff’s level. That will always be a bridge that Levis will not be able to cross. Bryce Young CAN process information like Goff AND he brings more to the table on top of it. So I am comfortable with saying that Bryce will be Goff+++ since he’s bringing one of the same strengths of Goff’s game but has more to go along with it.

Levis on the other hand is just a big bowl of physical traits. He’s not coming in from day one doing what Goff does and taking it up a notch. He’s an entirely different animal. If you love Levis…great. But to me he’s Mitch Trubisky. He’s got all of the physical traits to be a successful QB in the NFL. However, I just think there is something missing in the way he processes information that will always hold him back. That’s my opinion.

1 Like

Exactly! Go from small hands to small hands.
Totally SOLF.

Levis needs a year on the bench and adjust to the NFL game tbh

Bryce and Stroud are both NFL ready, but i think Stroud is above goff (Not by much)

Bryce is great, idc if you think his size is concerning, bro has the talent, you can see it

Tennesee vs Alabama is the best game, even for a loss, Bryce was the only reason Alabama was in that game, he kept them in it till the last minute

1 Like

Well if we believe in a QB then take the guy. Don’t force the issue though.

1 Like