Calvin is at it again

Rod Wood is who the Ford family has entrusted their finances to. That’s who they want running the business so he’s not going any where. They made that clear by giving him even more power.

I’m not defending the record of the previous 5 years. I just look at it as yeah the 5 years weren’t great, but when given more power he delegated it and empowered others. Not just anyone but actual football people. As far as Calvin goes he’s going to pay him.

It’s one thing to make mistakes. It’s another to learn from them and correct it. I see signs of a guy correcting his mistakes. You may think those mistakes should result in a firing, and maybe they should, but he’s not going anywhere. That being the case I’ll take the positive signs of course correction because they are there and real.

1 Like

No doubt Dog. So I guess I gotta drop my resentment against Calvin. It always bothered me that Calvin apparently didn’t care enough about his teammates and about showing up at his absolute best, preferring instead, to get stoned after ‘erry game (and probably throughout the week) because he was “suffering”. But Ima let that go now Dog. Thanks for the wisdom.

With his burgeoning weed empire supplying chronic throughout the Great Lakes region over the next 50 years, and career earnings of $110MM+, you’d think he’d get over not getting to keep less than 1% of that because he decided to walk out on the family.

Point being, Matthew Stafford did it the way it’s meant to be done- amicably, with class, and tact. Everybody wins.

Calvin- you always attract more bees with honey. Figured you’d know that being a Yellowjacket and all.

3 Likes

True, better for the Ford Family to keep .05% of their worth over Calvin keeping 1% of his earning.

1 Like

People still getting so bent on Calvin being honest and saying how he felt.

Front office’s sign players one year and cut them the next all the time and no fan gets mad…but a player does it and then they’re a bad person.

CJ didn’t want to play for this shit organization, would have rather gone anywhere else…the Lions should have traded him and moved on, end of story. Instead, they tried to force his hand to play but he was done wanting to play here…same happened with Barry and Matthew.

The Lions need to worry about becoming a class organization that players want to stay and play for.

1 Like

This is imho mixing the past wi TJ the present in a bad way… hasn’t Sheila, Holmes and DC already starting this transition and it’s shown in how they handled Matt?

CJ needs to see the leadership we “presently” have is not the same as the “past” leadership…

How can one be mad at the same organization now being lead by like 90% new faces?!

The Lions have adjusted and shown it with Matt… CJ it’s your turn now brother!!

1 Like

They are literally asking him questions about the past. I don’t think Calvin has any obligation to cover for those people who are no longer with us.

C’mon. That’s not it. This dude was a no diva, no drama, dynamo when he played. He’s just being matter-of-fact when interviewers ask him questions. He wishes he could have gotten a trade like Matt and he’s mad the Lions made him give them $1M back. That’s all he said it is and that’s all it is.

I don’t believe this stuff for a minute.

He publicly stated his body and injuries were the reason. His own team mates said they didn’t believe him when he said he was going to retire and that it would be his last season.

I started a thread that season that CJ was taking plays off. It’s was obvious when the ball was coming his way he ran the route hard. When it wasn’t he took the play off. Teams were keying on it. It was clear he was done.

Calvin quit on the Lions and he quit on football. That’s the truth …. He should own that but he won’t. He’s too busy crying and whining and it’s hard to respect him anymore.

With all that said the Lions shouldn’t have kept money from him. He retired due to injury. Let him keep the million bucks …… bad choice on the lions

However let’s assume for a second the Lions could have traded him. Does anyone believe an NFL team would haven’t taken on his salary after watching him take plays off and coming off injury…… knowing he was telling team mates and friends that he was done? …. I don’t think the Lions were in a position to trade him. The contract he signed and agreed to play under was a commitment he chose not to honor. So he should stop pretending the Lions did him wrong by not letting him out of it.

The Lions should pay the man and CJ should stop his crying.

5 Likes

Trade him now… that way he could retire as a Jet, or Texan. Calvin reveals himself as a petty bitch. I loved watching him. But he should go into the HOF with no decking Jersey. I’m not sure he has the class to go into the HOF just yet. Maybe they’ll give him the TO treatment.

1 Like

The lions accommodated Matt and did not accommodate Calvin. It was happening so classily

We didn’t know Calvin asked , just like Matt privately.

The difference is Lions didn’t work out a trade but maybe there wasn’t one to be had.

1 Like

You’ve made this argument before. It’s the old “little guy vs the establishment” counter. Sure, the Fords have mountains of money. But this isn’t simply about who could afford to be the bigger man? It’s not simply economics.

It’s the principle behind the whole deal. Calvin walked on his contractual commitment to the Lions. And he expected to get paid a little extra after doing so. It’s about the fact that he keeps whining about it when he was the one who set the ball in motion in the first place.

Were the Lions hurt and embarrassed when their 2nd Hall of Fame player in 17 years abruptly retired in his prime? Probably, yes. Does it justify their less than magnanimous maneuvering with Calvin? No. But you can understand why Martha Ford said, in essence, “piss off Calvin.”

No I really can’t understand it over the amount of money

Was this their plan ? That’ll show Em !

One wonders how much of this is revisionist history and/or a matter of timing.

January 2016

According to a report by ESPN’s Adam Schefter, Detroit Lions star receiver Calvin Johnson told his inner circle before the 2015 season he would retire at the end of the year.

After the season, Johnson, 30, gave Lions coach Jim Caldwell the same message.

After nine seasons in the NFL, Johnson’s body is beaten down. The five-time Pro Bowler has battled lingering ankle injuries and general body soreness to the point that it would be difficult for him to return for another season, during which he would turn 31 years old.

Johnson’s body has been so sore and his conviction so strong that he shared his decision to retire after the 2015 season with only two teammates – quarterback Matthew Stafford and linebacker Stephen Tulloch – with the request that they keep it confidential, according to sources.

June 2016

Former Lions WR Calvin Johnson: ‘Things are going good right now’

Michael Rothstein
ESPN Staff Writer

HARRISON TOWNSHIP, Mich. – His body wasn’t holding up anymore and Calvin Johnson had had enough. That, the former Detroit Lions All-Pro receiver said, was a big reason for his retirement.

It had nothing to do with the Lions’ record when he was with the team. It had nothing to do with the lack of playoff appearances or Super Bowls. It was just that his body was starting to fail him after knee, ankle and finger surgeries.

Even months after he retired, Johnson wore a splint on his injured finger during his Calvin Johnson Jr. Foundation Catching Dreams Football Camp at L’Anse Creuse High School in Michigan.

Johnson announced his retirement in March after nine NFL seasons. He had not spoken publicly about his retirement since the announcement, choosing to forgo a news conference in favor of a lengthy statement. On Saturday, after his camp concluded, he spoke about it for the first time.

“I know everybody wants to know why I retired, but it’s more so I put a lot into the game and it’s taken a lot out of me and that’s where I’m at right now,” Johnson said. "I’m not getting into the specifics of the things that it has taken away, but it definitely feels good, I guess I could say for myself, to spend more time around my family, my son, just got married.

“Things are going good right now.”

His former teammate, Rob Sims, said most people don’t understand how much pain and injury Johnson played through during his career. Johnson caught 731 passes for 11,619 yards and 83 touchdowns.

“He really played through some stuff that a guy of his caliber doesn’t usually do,” Sims said. “And we used him. We used him. I remember picking him up a couple times and being like, ‘God, man, you should not be in this game right now.’ But we needed him.”

And it was his body that eventually made him decide to retire – nothing else.

“I wouldn’t just quit because we were losing,” Johnson said. "Just [my] body, man, I was tired of it. I was fed up. Had enough."

Don’t expect him to be coming back, well, ever. Johnson made that clear Saturday.

"I’m not coming back," Johnson said. “You ain’t gotta worry about that.”

Summer 2017

Report: Teams inquired about trading for rights to Calvin Johnson
Posted by Josh Alper on October 29, 2017, 10:17 AM EDT

Over the summer, there were reports that teams had reached out to Calvin Johnson to see if the retired wide receiver had interest in returning to the NFL.

Such overtures would actually constitute tampering since Johnson’s rights are held by the Lions and at least a couple of teams interested in seeing if Johnson wants to play again have reportedly involved the Lions in their exploration.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports two teams have spoken to the Lions about trading for Johnson’s rights. The Lions reportedly told teams to speak to Johnson, but things have not progressed as Johnson has shown no sign of wanting to double back on the decision he made to walk away after the 2015 season.

While the Lions would likely be amenable to a deal that gets them an asset in place of a player who isn’t playing for them, it seems unlikely any team will be giving up anything in exchange for the rights to Johnson unless he makes it clear he’s going to play. With the trade deadline two days away, that would have to happen quickly.

Trade Deadline–October 2017

Adam Schefter
ESPN Senior Writer

Over the past week, two teams [Chris Mortensen reported it was the Eagles and Jaguars] have spoken to the Detroit Lions about potentially trading for Calvin Johnson’s rights before Tuesday’s NFL trade deadline, league sources told ESPN.

Figuring they had nothing to lose, the Lions told teams to reach out to the retired wide receiver to gauge his interest, but so far it has been noncommittal at best, diminishing any hope for a deal, sources said.

Johnson, 32, who announced his retirement in March 2016, would have to be willing to play for any team that traded for his rights. There remains doubt that Johnson, who has not played since the 2015 season, would even be willing to return.

**Johnson has told ESPN many times he is not returning** to football.

Nonetheless, at least two teams have been curious enough to inquire within the past week. If any team decides it wants to add a pricey receiver for a second-half run, Detroit would be willing to listen, sources said.

The most prolific wide receiver in franchise history, Johnson retired after nine professional seasons in which he accumulated over 11,000 receiving yards, seven 1,000-yard seasons and six Pro Bowl invitations. He holds 15 NFL records, including the most receiving yards in a season with 1,964 in 2012.

The Lions declined comment, as did Johnson’s representative, Bus Cook.

2 Likes

LOL - Can we still get a first for him?

Jim Irsay let Andrew Luck keep $25M
Jerry Jones let Tony Romo keep $5M and cut him so if he changed his mind, he could go where he wanted
Robert Kraft let Reggie Wayne keep $450K despite only being on the team for 2 weeks.

No I can’t, not even a little. See Luck/Romo/Wayne above, you can understand why most people continue to view the Lions as a shit organization.

1 Like

Right Air. My memory was that his body told him it was time to retire. Free’s great post confirms this. Press reports suggest the Lions were NOT standing in the way of Calvin going elsewhere. And making Calvin pay back $ was always a mistake.

This idea that Calvin wanted to keep playing feels like a fabrication at this point. Bob Quinn easily replaced Calvin with Marvin Jones, we had Tate still and Bob drafted Golladay.

It feels like Calvin feels forgotten and he wants to stay in the conversation. But no, he didn’t want to keep playing and the Lions don’t appear to have stood in his way to keep playing.

2 Likes

Calvin had talked about discussing retirement with his father following the 2014 season, but decided to come back for 2015. The way I heard the interview was, when Calvin retired and our Dip$hit president told him he had to pay back some of his signing bonus, he asked if he could be traded or released.

Calvin is a Diva, there’s a new one.

1 Like

Calvin has so many tie ins for product names that if I was him, I’d use.

Honolulu Blue Haze

Lion Around Doing Nothing

UnafFordable Payback

Rod Wood is a F#*&ing Dick.

3 Likes

I think part of it is people want to see everything as pure black and white, with no grey area or nuance to the situation.

There would have been offers.

Of course they were. They just didn’t.

What doesn’t make sense though is the Lions were coming off an 11-5 season (the best of Calvin’s career) and a playoff appearance. The story is that he decided to retire before the 2015 season. If health and injuries were the reason, that makes sense. However, the idea that the Lions had no chance, at least at that point in the timeline, doesn’t hold water.

That being said, Calvin, like anyone else, has a right to change his mind. So, it may very well be that after the 2015 season, he felt like he’d rather retire than continue playing for the Lions in 2016 or, alternatively, he’d be willing to play for a contender.

During an interview in Italy, which was subsequently reported on by Justin Rogers, unlike his statements in 2016, Johnson claimed it was a combination of injuries and not winning.

July 2017

Megatron: Playing for Lions ‘wasn’t for me anymore’

Former Lions receiver Calvin Johnson has hinted before that the team’s inability to contend for a Super Bowl played a role in his retirement following the 2015 season, along with injuries.

Last week, he took it a step further.

Johnson, in Italy last week for the Italian Bowl XXXVII, met with members of the Italian media, where he was asked about playing for the Lions, and the decision to retire.

Johnson, again, hinted that one had something to do with the other.

“I mean, I thought about it,” Johnson said, when asked if he thought about changing teams. “Just like in basketball, you know, guys, they create these superteams. But it’s not quite like that in football where I had the freedom just to go.

“I was stuck in my contract with Detroit, and they told me, they would not release my contract, so I would have to come back to them. I didn’t see the chance for them to win a Super Bowl at the time, and for the work I was putting in, it wasn’t worth my time to keep on beating my head against the wall … and not going anywhere.

“It’s the definition of insanity,” Johnson said with a chuckle.

When asked by the interpreter if that was why he retired, Johnson said, “Yep, and the body.”

“That’s everybody’s goal, when they come to the league, is to win a Super Bowl,” said Johnson, who delivered the game ball for the showdown between the Milano Rhinos and the Milano Seamen. “That’s the ultimate goal. … I wanted to win it, and like I said, I just didn’t see that opportunity (with the Lions).”