Chark visiting Carolina tommorow

He won’t be playing under the same deal in year 6.

1 Like

We shall see, Idk how you sign a 10 year deal and restructure it half way in… Sorta defeats the purpose, doesn’t it?

Good point, he would have a rookie QB. KC or the Lions I think for Chark

He’ll be on a new deal. With the new QB deals, he’s drastically underpaid.

1 Like

Thats how these contracts in todays NFL work.

1 Like

Guess I’m a man of integrity in a dog eat dog world :joy:

I’m all for getting a new deal in the last year or two, but 5?!? Come on now

No one expected the contract to play out. Not the Chiefs, not Mahomes, at least that’s the perception.

Through the rolling guarantees, it allows Mahomes to get paid significantly if something were to happen (car accident, illness, etc).

2023 is only the 2nd year of his 10yr contract. The extension that he signed in 2020 paid him basically $30M (2022) and roughly $40M (2023-2026) and $50M (2027-2031). If the QB market didn’t jump as much as it did, it would probably be year 6 or 7 before his contract was redone, now I think it’ll be year 4 or 5 when it gets adjusted. He’s already drastically underpaid.

2 Likes

Well with Holmes continuing to kickass, I predict Chark is going to sign a 1 year 5 million dollar deal any minute!

4 Likes

So, he’s giving the Chiefs a discount? I only say that bc it was the initial spark for this talk about his contract.

1 Like

QB contracts have inflated well beyond those of other players. It will be interesting to see what Lamar gets once the dust settles. Teams that figure they are a QB away from the SB are going to continue to over spend and right or wrong that is going to make current QB contracts relatively cheap for Mahommes and others under their current terms. Spreading that money around may or may not be the wave of the future with teams hoping they can go all the way with Flacco types that prove that you can. Hell, Mr, Irrelevant got how close last year? People who didn’t want Goff may get their wish not because he can’t do the job, but because a tag and trade may be worth more when the time comes.

1 Like

When the Patriots traded Drew Bledsoe to the Buffalo Bills he was 1 year into a 10 year deal.

When I look at the contract structure, I think the longest he will play under the current deal will be thru the 2027 season. He will essentially have a “pay as you go” contract at that point where the only guarantees left are that if he’s on the roster this year, his following year is guaranteed. That’s the point where the agent and the team will decide they need to talk. If not before then.

1 Like

Completely different scenario, that contract had almost no guarantees and he was moved bc of injury and a cheaper, better option presented itself… We’re not dealing with any of those factors in the Mahomes situation

1 Like

Noone has ever finished a 10 year deal.

2 Likes

Derek Jeter!! :joy:

1 Like

Bobby Bonilla Day still exists!

3 Likes

With the 9mil we freed up with Romeo’s pay cut and the looming pay cut for Big V, we can easily afford Chark. Get it done Holmes!!!

1 Like

The only way I give Chark a contract is if it is totally tied to playing time.

3 Likes

Could do the same thing they did with Romeo, $2 million base and $500k per game bonus… I think Romeo’s is a roster bonus though…

Those of us who didn’t want to over pay Chark had others who simply ignored the reality of his injury history. Well, the rest of the NFL saw what we saw, risk v reward. There is no reason to saddle this team with potential dead cap after they worked so hard to get rid of the bad contracts they inherited.

3 Likes

I totally agree. A base or Guaranted $ of say 4 M, with incentives up to 6M a year is as high as I’d go. I’d like him back, but his injury history is a big concern.