Credit to Brad Holmes for Hiding His Draft Strategy

They’ve been so good at hiding intentions that the sporting news keeps suggesting we need an offensive tackle. Lol

2 Likes

Campbell also said, they need a day 1 starter at 2 which wouldn’t be a QB. At this point I think the pick is a edge rusher. The consensus since day 1 has been a edge rusher. I would put my money on Thibs at 2 unless the Jags take a LT at #1 and Hutch is available.

2 Likes

Imagine how that scout feels while reading these forums. He thought it was a promotion.

Baby Reaction GIF

3 Likes

I would think so too (still hope not).

1 Like

I don’t think the Lions will draft a QB.

BUT…I can see Hutch going #1 and the Lions having concerns about Thibs. I don’t think Walker is worth the pick and I am not crazy about a CB OR safety that high.

In that case take Willis and see how that unfolds.

If the above situation unfolds I can see Sauce bing BPA too. In that case hold your nose and make the pick.

My gut tells me Thibs is the pick at this point. He is a playmaker at a premium position and he has an elite skill set.

But hell, Holmes is out there making lemonade and I love that. I think this is a strong draft class missing high end talent. BUT, Hutch and Thibs are blue chip guys. The CBS and Hamilton and blue chip secondary guys. This OT draft class is really good. There isn’t a killer QB it WR or DT in this class but there is everything else.

2 Likes

Both Is Good The Road To El Dorado GIF

With Stafford on your roster NFL teams knew darn well we were not drafting a QB. They weren’t fooling anyone.

It’s odd - Quinn says Stafford is out QB and you don’t like it.

Holmes says Goff is their QB and it’s just being supportive.

Truth is they’ve been supportive yes but it’s also been reported that the Lions were not shopping him or entertaining trade talks about him. This staff has been just as clear as BQ was that their starting QB is their starting QB. I see no difference in the two. Both staffs made it clear their starting QB was coming back and starting.

4 Likes

Not only that but you want to gauge other teams interest. Just incase they plan to leap frog you. Also you may see or learn something at the pro day that you didn’t catch at the senior bowl. Your drafting 2OA and if your interested there’s a lot of reasons to go. There’s really zero reasons not to go.

I can’t think of a single team drafting top 3 that skipped a pro day and then drafted that player. Can anyone?

2 Likes

Right on dude, that’s a good point.

In hindsight I think I was trying to split hairs a bit between the differences of Holmes and Quinn. But I get what you’re saying.

Also too, the team then and now are in two different places. Different situations and different challenges. It’s how they respond to the challenges that defined and will define them.

So not even speaking specifically to this situation, just overall body of work

The only value of the 2 pick is for teams that need OT or DE/EDGE. I dont think anyone will move up that far for Willis. But it is a possibility but who is to say?

1 Like

If Rhule is looking to save his job, then Pickett is a far better choice than Willis. Most agree that Willis needs a year of seasoning before he’s ready, that’s not going to help Rhule. Pickett is relatively NFL ready and could jump start that franchise and save some jobs.

2 Likes

Ruhle is where Quinn was in '20. It leads to bad draft decisions.

1 Like

If the Lions really want willis, then they need to prepare for the possibility that someone wants him enough to trade in front of them. So they send a heavy contingent to do work on kayvon, and turn over every rock that could be on the table if he’s not there. You can’t just assume he’s there, and get caught with your pants down when he isn’t.

And while I get that a team could trade up for an edge or OT… I also know that I’ve seen Hutch, KT, and Travon mocked to the Jags. And I’ve seen different mocks with Icky, Neal, or even Cross rated highest at tackle. What are the odds that someone just can’t live without a specific one, to the degree that they sacrifice picks to get him?

I can see a needy team panicking once a couple guys at a position are gone, but that happens well after the second pick. It’s not impossible, but the draft doesn’t set up that way, at least on paper. :man_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

I wanted to drag this thread back as it is still relevant.

Brad Holmes has really added to his legacy this draft in my opinion. Willis is coming in for visit AND we did a visit with Kenny P. Awesome. Do we want a QB or not?

I hear things coming out about Thibs and it all smells like bullshit to me. I think the Lions like Hutch AND Thibs a whole lot but hell, if we can geta trade down there are other fine guys out there too.

The Lions seem like they are in the catbirds seat to me. QB, Edge guy, DT, jack of all trades Walker and so on. The Lions have done their homework at this point.

My best guess is the Lions simply want more assets and they want a better shot at drafting playmakers. They very well might stay and draft edge and hell, maybe a QB. If he Lions REALLY want Hutch for example and a team trades up for Willis at #1OA then brilliant Holmes. Well done. If a team believes we don’t want Willis but maybe we love Kenny P…they might need to get there before the Texans. Brillant.

I don’t believe for one second the Lions don’t like Thibs. I do believe they like Hitch. I also don’t think the Lions are going QB unless Hutchinson is gone and they really don’t like Thibs. Would anyone be really surprised with any pick at this point? CB would surprise me but the Lions did homework there. Hamilton would surprise me but not completely.

Credit to the Jags as well. They have also hidden their interests. BUT everyone knows the one position they are NOT taking is a QB with Lawrence on the roster. But hell yes that pick is open for business so credit to them.

2 Likes

All true – nice post. Lions feel as positioned as they could be, at this point in the process. Loving it. Brad is using the force and pulling Jedi mind tricks on all all of the weak minded, who can only guess what he is thinking.

1 Like

Not saying this is true, but this is an idea I just got.

What if we sent 7 people to Thibodeaux’s pro day as a smokescreen to hide who we’re really taking?

1 Like

If it’s a smokescreen it’s an attempt to get a KT hungry team to move up. I do think Brad is doing what he can to market the pick.

2 Likes

No reason to be too crafty. The Lions need to be as sure as you can be about Thibs. We are clearly interested in the guy. But the Lions are not fixated with on him either. Think Quinn with Okudah. The Lions could legit take Willis, Hutch, Thibs, Walker or Holmes could shock the draft by taking a CB. Hell, add to n DT Davis as a far out there possibility.

Six ways we could go. Makes trading down easier. It also helps when making a final decision.

My gut tells me we are sold in Thibs. I think it is a lot like Sewell taking a year off foot a but still being a Holmes guy. But damn, trading down a couple spots and still getting the guy you love? That would be a game changer FM move right there.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t we be showing interest in Walker then?

And maybe we are interested in Walker and want someone to trade up for KT so we get Walker?

Could say the same about bringing in Willis and Pickett, like y’all have said already but creating the idea they like those guys too…

I think this draft is going to be crazy. Crazy in that all the mocks will be crashing and burning after the top 15 picks. One guy I have a weird feeling about going way higher than he’s projected is Boye Mafe. Just from a lot of projections of him being such a great second round pick, I’m sure some teams have him listed as a top 5 DE this year.

I really appreciated the post by @SkyHock in the other thread. And I remember last year a lot of talk about how deep this draft would be because of the covid year.

Willis or London at 2 does not sound crazy to me. Nothing sounds crazy to me actually (outside of OL, no way we take an OL at 2) but what’s even more interesting is what’s gonna happen between picks 3 and 100.

3 Likes