Daniel Jeremiah first round mock 3.0

He’ll probably get a low value “prove it” 1 year deal next year. His salary this season will pretty much set him up for life if he plays his cards right. Anything after this would be just gravy.

As I’ve said a dozen times, if he wants to extend his career, he needs to seriously think about Safety.

I get it and you remind me of Speilman said in the article this morning regarding why he liked Malcolm R. He performs, he makes plays in college why wouldn’t he in the NFL.
My default on all of this is I’m not even close to a scout and will trust BH, this guy seems like he would be an execption not the norm if he performed at the next level.

1 Like

You’re right, but at 6, we didn’t know that – you only know who the top 5 were.
But yeah, Tyree and Levis would be cool too.

Wilson and Banks in that scenario…

3 Likes

I understand. A guy I comp him to is Soloman Thomas who went 3OA at like 6’3 273. Very similar 40 and 10 yard times. Now Thomas sported 33 inch arms compared to Kancey’s 30 5/8, also I’d probably have to consider Thomas a bust for a 3OA pick, even though he’s still in the league and has put on quite a bit of weight since then. It’s easier to add weight to 6’3 than it is 6’0, but Thomas and John Randle are the two guys that remind me of him and AD of course. Not saying he “is AD and Randle” two of the best to ever do it. But he has those explosive traits in spades and he pushed around and blew past a ton of big quality Olineman over his time at Pitt.

1 Like

I know trades are normally written off in mocks, but I wouldn’t mind swapping 6 & 81 to Houston for their 12 & 33, giving the Lions: 12, 18, 33, 48 & 55.

3 Likes

I think this year is his “prove it” year and I suggested possibly moving him to Safety when we drafted him and again after he blew his Achilles. We’ll see what the coaches think of him and what his future holds, maybe they view last year as a progress year and think he can be a good CB yet, idk.

Witherspoon is an outlier at 5’11?

I don’t see that as anywhere close to Kancey at 280 lbs playing DT. I mean there is like one comp in the whole league. A great player, but only one comp. At least as an every down guy (and not a Trey Flowers type).

Lots of good 5’11 corners though.

1 Like

Yes actually he would be a massive outlier if he was drafted that high!!

1st Round CBs under 181lbs since 2000

1. Jamar Fletcher 2001
  2. Kelly Jennings 2006

Since 2007, only 2 CBs under 181lbs has been taken in Rounds 1 or 2

1. Donte Jackson
  2. Senquez Golson

Now find the stud in those groups……

Fair point! I didn’t realize he was that sort of company. I’m still not overly concerned though. I mean that dude can hit and he has long enough arms for press. I guess for me drafting a 280 lbs DT to play exclusively inside just gives me a lot more hesitation than Witherspoon at 181 and a couple lbs off guys like Denzel Ward. Kancey is an interesting prospect though. He doesn’t look out of place in there. I’m just having a hard time wrapping my brain around it. I’m really wanting a run stuffer in there to let all the other guys do their thing, but maybe the Lions have a different idea.

1 Like

It may be an outlier to get drafted that high as a CB at 181. But there are plenty of CBs playing in the NFL between 180 and 185. So it is not such an oulier that Witherspoon can play and play well. I thought Ward was similar as well. The issue for Kancey going forward is not his weight it will be his arm length. In the NFL when a lineman gets his hands on you first it’s most likely over. NFL lineman are a lot more skilled than 19 yr old kids in the ACC.

2 Likes

Saw this Twitter leak from a Lions scout on AR. Not sure exactly what it means but sounds like they aren’t sold on him

Yeah, right now, that means we like him.

3 Likes

You are the 1st person that I’ve seen say that none of the CB’s are elite. Where did you read this or why would you say this?

1 Like

could be a smokescreen. But seems weird be me that a team would publicly diss a player they want to take with a high pick. Nice way to make your top pick miffed at you. haha

Unless they are texting him saying something like, ‘listen. we’re going to leak something saying you’re a bit mentally slow. But don’t worry. we don’t actually mean it so don’t take it personally xoxo -Lions’

1 Like

We both know it happens all the time, they call it lying season for a reason. An NFL paycheck cures a lot of ills.

Gamesmanship is always funny. Last year I was almost convinced we were going to draft Tibby dough over Hutch

2 Likes

I’ve heard that Brad’s interest in Thibs was real, but Hutch won him over in the end.

But the thing is we knew about his interest in Thibs very early on in the process. He’d gone to Oregon games personally. So that was coming out in like January of last year, when things tend to be more true. It’s the stuff coming out since the combine that I think is 75% bs. Or maybe with just enough truth to give it credence.

Gonzalez had just as many interceptions this last year as Okudah had his entire career at Ohio State and…
Christian Gonzalez, CB, Oregon (6’2", 201 pounds)

Gonzalez was a transfer from Colorado, and he showed improvement throughout the year in his only season with the Ducks. He’s a fluid athlete that should test really well at the combine. Per The Athletic’s Bruce Feldman, Gonzalez has reached 23.3 mph on GPS and has a 42" vertical jump. He finished this past season with four interceptions.

Betty White Snl GIF by MacGruber

2 Likes

Well good thing not everyone is as emo and sensitive as you. I doubt AR would be miffed by such a statement. And you would hope the man you expect to be the leader of your team week in and out wouldn’t be.

NOTHING about that statement is inherently insulting. They stated [what may or may not be] their honest and objective assessment. They are still evaluating his football accumen. This is what the scouting process is for. That’s why it’s called player EVALUATION. They never called him slow.

It’s these kinds of [over]reactions and [mis]interpretations that leads to problems and drama.