Daniel jones is gonna make whaaaaaat?

Paying a quarterback 40m AAV isn’t the same as paying any other position 20m AAV. The guarantees aren’t the same and the outs in the contract are not the same. It’s not as simple as ARSB + Sewell makes what Goff makes. Money spread out among multiple players is significantly easier to navigate.

And if a quarterback struggles making 40m vs ARSB + Sewell, the impact is infinity worse. Then what do you do with that QB? You are either stuck with him or eating massive amounts of money.

A long term, high paying commitment to a QB is everything to a franchise. That’s why it shouldn’t be done based on market value. You can be like everyone else if you want…but I’ve seen an enormous disaster rate to come to the conclusion that I’m out on paying for “good” at the QB position.

Pretty sure the guys in charge see it this way also with the comments that have recently come out. And I am extremely happy about that.

2 Likes

I just can’t….

Stop paying WRs 25MM is the answer. Treat them like RBs… same with TEs….

Problem solved….

1 Like

QBs shouldn’t count against the cap

Problem Sol-ved

Well you are rude.

Paying someone is possible paying Goff is doable. But paying someone 40-50 plus million for average to above average quarterbacking is bananas.

And if he can continue to produce like he did this year then he might get that extension.

Vaitai is restructuring. He isn’t leaving.

It’s not a guarantee Okwara is cut. They like their defensive ends.

I’d prefer to pay market value for universally viewed STAR players and not just Detroit viewed Star players

Of course you would think this.

Who, like seriously WHO, is wanting to pay 40 million to a wr and a RT?

1 Like

Exactly and part of the reason he is here.

1 Like

I mentioned before that I thought both Vaitai and Romeo would be back on pay cuts.

No team in the NFL will pay Romeo 11mil for this upcoming season coming off the injury he had in 2021. I could see him cutting his base salary down to 5-6mil with a chance to earn the rest back via incentives. This may be his last chance ever to play football with his brother too, I doubt he wants to go anywhere.

2 Likes

They’ll be a little bigger, the the percentages will likely be very similar.

Most QB’s want shorter years and the ability to get a new contract sooner. It’s the franchises that want 5/6 year contracts.

Based on what Jones did in 2022, you’re going to have a hard time convincing any agent that he doesn’t deserve to be paid when his QB rating was higher than Brady, Stafford, Rodgers, Prescott, Murray and his QBR was higher than Joe Burrow, Jackson, Herbert, Prescott, Brady, Stafford, Rodgers.

Are QB Ratings and QBR the defining measurement of a QB . … No. But the Giants are going to be hard pressed to get an agent to buy into PFF’s QB rankings (with Goff being 20th).

1 Like

Well said, and quite accurate.

I love how people see Danny Dimes on the verge of $40MM/yr and somehow deduce that this means a team like the Lions wants to get in the “let’s try to get a new quarterback” sweepstakes with the dregs of the league.

If anything, this should just be another piece of evidence that, while the love of rookie quarterbacks is rampant amongst pretend GMs here, real football ops people across the league would much rather have a vet who has at least shown that he can do something… even at rates that make those here who are so very protective of Sheila’s money faint.

1 Like

Bent over by Ernie Accorsi?

4 Likes

Ain’t that the truth!!!

3 Likes

Jones was hot chickenshit for 3 years before, so is Daboll just a good sculptor, or did Jones magically transmogrify into chicken soup?
TRANSMOGRIFY the Elite Media MEMES!!!

My guess is the latter, so go get someone else you can mold for Daboll. Its not like he has chemistry w. the receivers because they are all trash too and will be replaced.

1 Like

I’m not arguing this. The QB market is a complete joke. Of course agents love it.

1 Like

Don’t be silly Doc!!!

It makes way more sense to go 3-14 with Justin Fields, or bench Zach Wilson and intentionally play some kid off the street while wasting a top defense and top offensive weapons.

If I’m not mistaken, there have only been 3 guys who have won the SB while on rookie deals since the wage scale started 12 years ago….

• at first glance it might seem like 3 out of 12 ain’t bad right?

Yet there have been 48 guys taken in rounds 1 or 2 to come up with those 3 SB rings….

1 Like

Lol so 3/12 (25%) of the SB winners are rookie contract quarterbacks and you see this as support for your argument? That’s an amazingly high number and cements the side you are against.

And every time you do this you manipulate the argument of drafting a rookie to fit your narrative. Not a soul on this board is saying draft a rookie and throw him into the fire year one. So comparing a rookie we draft to Zach Wilson or Justin Fields is irrelevant.

If you want a direct comparison to what this board suggests, compare it to the situations of Jalen Hurts, Patrick Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers…you know, the guys who sat for a year+ before starting. Because that’s the comparison that needs to be made. We aren’t throwing a rookie QB into the fire year one if we draft one.

You can’t include this in your argument though because it hurts it so badly. You have to lump in every single rookie drafted QB to fit your stance. It’s honestly comical.

And as for your other 45 of 48 taken in rounds 1-2 being “failures” as you are suggesting…that means you are including Jalen Hurts, Lamar, Jackson, Jared Goff, Trevor Lawrence, Kyler Murray, DeShaun Watson, Tua Tagovailoa, Joe Burrow, Josh Allen, Derek Carr, as “failures” because they haven’t won a SB.

You know who else hasn’t won a SB??? Dak Prescott, Kurk Cousins, Derek Carr, Kyler Murray, DeShaun Watson, Jimmy Garoppolo, and pretty much any other QB you can name that isn’t ELITE that failed to win a SB who have bloated contracts.

So it’s a 25% SB success rate for rookie QBs vs a 0% rate paying good NFL QBs. Interesting…

edit
I had to come back and say something else. The manipulation of numbers being used here is too good.

The last 12 years ONLY 3 of the 48 QBs drafted have won the SB on their rookie contract. Do you realize that if all of the last 12 SB winners (100%) were rookie contract QBs that would still leave 36 or 75% that failed to win the SB?

There is only 1 team that wins the SB every year. It’s not an easy thing to do. And 3/4ths of the final 4 quarterbacks this year were rookie contract QBs. There is so much evidence to support it’s a winning strategy it’s ridiculous. Even the evidence you bring to the debate supports it!

Y’all got your opinions. Fine.

Acting like the lions aren’t at least considering their options is faulty logic.

The premise has always been: IF the lions decide they like a guy and think he can be better then Goff then take him. If they don’t then take who you think is best. That’s it. THAT’S IT. People freak at that simple thought exercise.

An exercise that was prompted bc the Lions have wondered if they want to commit long-term to Goff. And they have been exploring qbs a lot this year. If they take Hooker he is worst case scenario leverage to get Goff to take a better team friendly deal and cover them if he says no. It’s that simple.

4 Likes

I agree with all of this….

I am just staying with supreme confidence that none of these guys are… better… nor as good… period

Some love to dismiss what Goff did at cal with zero talent around him, but sympathize with Levis or AR for lacking casts… yet Goff threw for as many yards and TDs as a junior as BOTH COMBINED!

This QB class is a flake, a midget, and two guys who throw hard but not straight.

Foles, Stafford, P Manning, Brady… it could be argued that guys on their 2nd team win SBs at a higher rate than rookie contract QBs right? 4 of 12 vs 3 of 12….

Let’s also consider that R Wilson and Flacco- 2 of the 3 rookie had ELITE defenses and solid run games.

Goff went 8-2…

What if we have 2,000 yards rushing and a top 5 D with Goff and this offensive cast… SB favorites?

3 Likes

For about the 10,000th time…Very happy and content that Jared Goff is my quarterback for the next two years under his current contract.

2 Likes

Honestly curious….

What if you had a crystal ball that told you that no QB drafted in the next 3 years will EVER win a SB…?

Let’s say Goff wants 42M for 3 year extension right now…. What do you do-

I ask the “hypothetical” because only 1 QB drafted in the last 10 years has won a SB…