David Montgomery to Detroit goodbye jamaal

Did he shoot his eye out

1 Like

Walkie Talkie GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

1 Like

They easily win 10 games with their 2023 and 2024 seasons combined. Shit, they might even hit 11.

Calm Down Lee Daniels GIF by Empire FOX

Yeah my problem with him is he is slow.

What?

Back To The Future Love GIF

Im just handsome

1 Like

Listed as a head scratcher on NFL.COM.
Not that I hate the signing. I am actually beginning to like it, but…

David Montgomery

RB · Age: 26

Detroit Lions

Detroit Lions

The contract: Three years, $18 million.

Montgomery’s numbers against light boxes (+15 rushing yards over expected, 36th among NFL running backs) and between the tackles (3.8 yards per rush, 32nd across the league) might not be dazzling, but the Lions’ offensive line will be an upgrade over the Bears’ offensive line for Montgomery in all phases of the game. (This is supported by Lions ball-carriers averaging 6.3 yards per rush against light boxes, third-best in the NFL last season.) Montgomery has versatility as a pass catcher, and he’s generated a pass-blocking grade of 71.7 from PFF since 2019, which ranks in the top 10 at the position.

This signing is listed as a head-scratcher because of the price tag, which stands out especially next to the deal Jamaal Williams landed from the Saints (three years, $12 million) after serving as a red-zone dynamo for Detroit last season (17 total touchdowns). The running back market was flooded in early free agency, and perhaps the Lions could have gotten more for their investment (or had to invest less) had they waited to sign one

David should have a career season behind the best Oline in the history of the world.
Holy crap, I’m excited about Glasgow!

Well the 8-2 record suggests he was pretty good
With running back injuries dang near 100% it might be just as important to have a coach that can adapt to available talent rather than trying to replicate what swift can do …

Again no know on Montgomery
But don’t want to diminish we don’t know what Jamaal would do in lions uni next year when the whole team around him
Would also be seen as better

2 Likes

Monty is a shade worse than Jamaal in extreme short yardage. That is a downgrade. But he’s better in every other aspect of being a RB.

8 Likes

Well put, @CuriousHusker

Ncaa Football No GIF by ESPN College Football

You know who could do some damage against light boxes.
Achane

1 Like

I wish he started more than 1 game before 22’

Giving my general reaction: David Montgomery is a more dynamic Jamaal Williams.

Now I may look back at the 400 comments to see how many delusional Lions fans remain.

2 Likes

Doesn’t he fall forward though. Williams has had one good year, and played behind a great oline. Montgomery younger and played for a bad yard still had decent numbers

Insert Steve Carell meme here.

For sure. D-Mo (I guess that’s his nickname) is a solid short yardage option.

2 Likes

Rumor has it Brad did try to sign swaggy first

1 Like

I believe we are looking at DM the wrong way. I do not believe he is JWs replacement. I believe he is Swifts replacement. We will draft a running back who will compete for the starting role and eventually take over the top spot.

Swift will not be resigned but we know he’s in a contract year so will play through injuries this year and work hard for a big payday next year. Makes him great for a comp pick or mid season trade to a desperate team with an injury.

3 Likes

Swift is a game changer when he’s in there and healthy. I say keep him for sure.

What about Justin Jackson?