Do we really Have to sign a FA CB?

I agree we have leaders mainly OL they are leaders an on D couple who want to come back are leaders an not chasing the $…I am no against a lets 10 mil CB in FA but if i can get two really good CBs in draft i can take that cap saving an lets say even over pay a 3 tech on the DL to improve are D .

I just don’t want us at this point throwing cap money away an i don’t think Holmes will. He will I think spend more after keeping players he wants for 2022 season.

I can see if big V is done signing a young OG I don’t see him sending beans or young players to get a 25mil plus CB per year Jalen Ramsey signed a five year, $100 million contract extension with the Rams.Per the report, Ramsey received a $25 million signing bonus. Ramsey received $43.7 million guaranteed at signing and $71.2 million guaranteed for injury.$5 million guarantee on his 2023 salary. On the 5th day of the league year in 2023 another $7.5 million is guaranteed. Ramsey has roster bonuses due on the 5th day of the 2024 and 2025 league years. Another $5 million in incentives is available.

We will be paying for the next 3 years even if he is hurt We just cleaned the cupboard of these types of contracts an some want to go get another an pay to get it Sorry we have done that for 50 years it doesn’t work.

You get in the race you sign so older vets like Eagles did they are paying Suh less than 2 million for a quarter of a season an playoffs he is like a insurance policy against injury to regular starters an can give them a blow during games. Thats when you spend a little for a one year deal for experience .

1 Like

It would be a boss move if Holmes could trade down in the first from 18. Then flip the even lower first round pick to the rams for Ramsey while picking up another couple high round picks. :+1:

Yes.

It almost always takes rookies, no matter how great (Sauce aside), a couple years to get up to speed. We are game on right now and our “scrappy” CB’s that are at times playing over their heads, should be our backups. Okudah was benched and had his time reduced. He is not going to be our CB1 and he’ll be lucky if he’s able to put enough together at this point to be CB2. We need brand new starters at BOTH outside spots IMO. That should come in the form of the best FA CB we can get, plus one of our 1st round picks. Then let them all complete.

Our CB’s were absolutely HORRENDOUS at playing deep balls. If I’m any DC playing against us, I’m just going bombs away with a three step drop not allowing the rush to get there and assuming if it’s one on one, the Lions CB’s are either going to watch the WR the entire time and choking at the moment of truth for a catch, or get the PI. This cannot continue. We need CB’s that can play the BALL. I don’t know if it’s coaching, it almost seems like it is, because it’s the rule (playing the WR’s eyes) not the exception.

I want the bulk of our FA money to go for a CB1, 3t DT and RG and FA is pretty stacked at all three of those positions. Our window is open. “Staying the course” will get us moving forward without Ben Johnson and that to me could be a massive hit. We have enough of a young core. Youngest in the NFL. We do not have to continue to build that way at this point. CB1 is an area we can’t play around with. I love AJ Parker. I don’t love him enough to stay the course. Don’t trust Okudah at all to be healthy, or frankly any good if healthy. Iffy is a Safety. Harris? Hughes? No sir, time to shoot the cannon.

3 Likes

Its riskier to assume your rookie CB is gonna Sauce instead of Slay. TBH Im good with adding one in FA AND at 6.

Its our biggest problem position. Fix it for good.

We will know early on in FA where our cap space goes, which will influence how we trade.l, as was shown earlier Ramsey is a big # (looks like $18.5 for us if we trade for him, @DeadStroke can correct me if needed).

But Ramsey and Witherspoon/Gonzalez + Okudah all of a sudden makes our D a real problem.

5 Likes

They’re young. You don’t become an NFL CB in a month or two. You’re lucky if you become a starter after two years.
It took Slay 3 years to really catch on.
Cap hell has hurt this team more than any one thing.
I’m wouldn’t break the bank for anyone’s hero. Not Ramsey. Not Mahomes. Not Deebo. Nobody!
I’ll trust Holmes and crew.

1 Like

That’s exactly where I’m at. And BTW that doesn’t keep them from taking another one late. People who wanted 2 CB’s in the first or first and second have zero idea about the chances of them contributing more than the liability of the learning curve allows.

4 Likes

Agreed. It needs a complete overhaul. They need to add at least 3 quality players.

I’d like to see them get a solid outside CB in FA a starting caliber CB1 or CB2 at the least.

Then draft a starting caliber NB in the draft and then add a 3rd depth guy.

4 Likes

It’s not as big of a deal as you think. Add in an older Long snapper or Kicker or OT which most teams have and our average would be well above middle of the pack.

Every NFL team is young. The difference between us and most is we’re missing that few older, much older players to push up our average.

Most NFL teams are really young today

2 Likes

Like Brockers & Vatai?
:facepunch: :sunglasses:

When Mule got cut last year, the average age of players dropped about 10 years, haha

2 Likes

Naw I’m thinking a 38-40+ year old like Gould for the 49ers.

The packers have 3 older players. Rogers, Lewis and Crosby.

Take those 3 out and their average age drops below ours.

My point is that it only takes a couple older players to skew the numbers one way or the other.

Look at it this way. If you take the NFL roster of each team and drop the 3 oldest players of each team and averaged out the other 50 players age for each team. You will find almost everyone is really close in average age. It’s just those few older players who skew that age one way or the other.

2 Likes

We’re still more handsome though, man.
:facepunch: :sunglasses:

1 Like

Especially with Brad front and center!!!

1 Like

Double edged sword. Many bad teams draft high, and need help everyone…. Thus being a bad team.

A bad team with a CB taken in round 1-2 might have a greater learning curve. Less safety help, less pass rush, defense on the field more.

Yet mid round guys like Jamel Dean and S Murphy-Bunting come out pretty hot as they entered perfect situations.

3 Likes

Do the Saints give up Lattimore for 18?

He’s not as good as Ramsey but cheaper and younger.

AG knows him first hand too

2 Likes

flexing dwayne johnson GIF

The only CBs currently in play for the team next season, realistically, are Okudah and Jacobs. That’s it. I would personally say those 2 can fight for one starting spot and the other can be depth. That means you need at least one other starting outside CB, and a starting level nickel. The Lions realistically should be, at the least, drafting one in the first 2 rounds and signing a vet who can compete for a starting job. They will also like look for a late draft value and/or money ball type signing like they did this year with Hughes as well

3 Likes

Basically how I see it as well

Just an FYI to all the people mentioning Lattimore, the Saints take on an additional 6mil in dead cap by trading him. He isn’t going anywhere.

They like Lucas I wish he would gain some weight but he does have football IQ he reads play fast.

Harris they like as a nickel that he just switched to last season . His price will say if he is resigned most don’t want him but I can live with him as back up nickel

maybe a dime CB Not ever player has to be a starter teams to win need quality depth.

1 Like

That’s almost as bad as saying that Analzone and Rodrigo will be the starting LB’s next season.

2 Likes