Eagles D-line Game 1

The gap between the Cowboys being division champs and the Eagles being division champs was pretty small. The way things played out the Cowboys won the first matchup and the Eagles had nothing to play for in the final week of the season so they sat guys and took the L to the Cowboys. However, if the Eagles had won the first matchup and everything about the season remained the same…the final game of the season between the Cowboys and Eagles would have been for the division title.

I look at that Eagles offense and go;

Jalen Hurts- Ehhhh. He is like the 6th or 7th best running qb in the league and his passing doesnt scare me.

Miles Sanders- Ehhhhh. There are 25 to 30 guys aid rather have over him.

AJ Brown- Ehhhh. Yeah, big and fast, but ehhh. There are 12 guys I like better than him.

Unless there is some serious sum is better than parts action here, Im not impressed.

Am I missing something?

Hey najacks - why you giving all that love to Jordan Davis? Sure, he was awesome in college, and he’s a big bird. But I’ll take Ragnow and Big V all day long. They’ll do just fine. And why all the love for Davis now? I don’t recall anyone stumping for us to draft him. Everyone in the DEN, but me, wanted Hutch. We’ll see.

The Eagles won one game last year against a team that finished over .500 and that was New Orleans who was barely finished over .500 at 9-8.
The combined records of all the teams that the Eagles beat last year was 46-89.

The Eagles benefited from one of the easiest schedules in the NFL and still barely were .500 themselves. They were not that good last year. They could be a little better this year but their QB hurts them from being a really good team.

The Young And The Restless Joke GIF by CBS

4 Likes

Top 3 OLine. Outside of Brown, they have one of the better pass catching TEs in Goedert, an up and coming WR in Devonta Smith, and one of the fastest WRs in the NFL in Quez Watkins. Hurts was solid more often than not last year and he may take another leap this season especially with the improved skill players around him.

1 Like

Agree. alot depends on Hurts. After they blew it bigtime by taking Reager over Jefferson, they’ve been focusing on getting receivers. AJ Brown never had a Devonte Smith next to him, and with some serious speed in the slot with Reager and Watkins, their receivers are among the best in the league. And as you say they led the league in rushing last year. Their D has more questions, but drafted Nakobe Dean and Jordan Davis. It might take the D some time to gel, but if Hurts can be just average, that offense is very good. Not a good draw for game 1, but game 1’s are very unpredictable.

I think @BigNatty was a big Davis fan (although maybe after a trade down if I am remembering properly)?

He certainly was a beast in college, the only real knock was his conditioning…

1 Like

There was support for him when it was thought we could grab him with our 2nd or 3rd pick. After he blew up the combine and was in the conversation for top 5-10 that kind of died.

I thought we were gonna grab him instead of J-Will, and I would have been perfectly fine with that .

Love what Davis brings, and think he has a chance to be special.

My only question mark on Davis is effort. He showed it on a lot of plays and then was no where to be seen on many others. That could just be a matter of conditioning but that always concerns me. If he’s a bit out of shape in college, how is he going to be when he’s handed millions of dollars ??

1 Like

I don’t think his conditioning is as bad as some have said.
I think he’s an ethical guy, at least. I wish he had more straight fire/passion, but his energetic floor is “ethical”…which means professional…which means do what he’s supposed to. This is just my take, but I think he’s gonna be really good…maybe awesome!

During the NCAA season, it wasn’t very good. But, he took training for the combine very seriously and he said he was 20 pounds lighter at the combine than what he played at. He weighed in at the combine at 341, so he was playing at roughly 360 last year and it showed at times and one of the reasons he spent more time on the sideline than on the field. If motivated and in shape, look out NFL.

1 Like

I can see that, and have read it.
Also, there’s a difference between a dude that is 6 ft 7 losing 20 lbs, and a guy that is “normal size”. It sounds a lot to guys like us…but to him, he probably can lose another 40 easily.

When you watch highlights only you get the feeling Davis is a total monster. When you start watching complete games you start getting a better picture.

It’s all about him. He has the physical capability to be a stud. But once again, what happens when he gets millions of dollars. Is the desire there to be an all pro?

A number of teams passed on him that could have used an all pro DT.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m underselling the complete picture on the Iggles. Thanks fellas/

1 Like

my son is a big eagles fan. his take is that they’re good when they’re not supposed to be, and they implode when they’re supposed to be good. so maybe its a good game 1 matchup after all.

2 Likes

Allow me to elaborate. I absolutely didn’t want the lions to draft him. I think he’s going to eventually eat his way out of the league. However, I do absolutely want to watch our offensive line kick his ass up and down the field all day. He’s still an enormous man and the eagles are talented along both lines. If Detroit comes out and kicks the hell out of them it tells me that the lions could have a very very good offense.

1 Like

You could see how poor his conditioning was in the championship against Alabama. He really worked on it between that game and the Michigan game. Georgia’s defense was so good it didn’t show up the entire year because they were never on the field very long.

3 Likes

Eric Ebron Lol GIF by Indianapolis Colts

Good point, man.

1 Like