Fanduel odds for the 2nd overall pick

LOL. Yeeessss…Crock pot, slow cooking, marinading, bbq, MF’n BEEEAAAANZ!

OR, a staff with a future approach notices that the top of this draft isn’t much different than 10-15 picks back, and acquires TWO high first rounders for one?
I get to pretend first grade math isn’t a thing and think that’s not a good deal???

:wink:
having fun showing you what your statement looks like.

1 Like

Willis would be a front runner on that list if the jags were in the market. Maybe the very top.

Aiden is lower for us obviously because he isn’t expected to be there.

He’s gotta make the pro bowl year 3, according to Brunell, so I think that sitting him year 2 wouldn’t really work. Gotta get that rookie year outta the way, and then pro bowl year 3! :thinking:

1 Like

Interesting take that I don’t agree with.

Interesting.

I think they’re taking into account the drop-off from Hutch as a prospect to all of the others, and how that increases the likelihood that the Lions would be willing to trade out of 2, along with a handful of teams (especially Seattle) who seem likely to move up. Factor in the chances that the Lions themself might want to pick him, and voila!, we have a favorite for the #2 pick. If the rest of the nation is 50/50 on whether Goff is a franchise QB or not, it doesn’t matter where the Lions fall this year, the situation still supports Willis going 2nd.

1 Like

Did Brunell name the QB he was talking about or is this an assumption?

Or… you know. Draft him?

Blockquote

You take one 3 overall like the 49ers. You even trade multiple future first round picks.

1 Like

This is so ridiculous.

Rodgers sat for 3 years

1 Like

Exactly he was in a better situation than what Willisl would be in Detroit.

Made sense to sit him the team was winning as was KC. Detroit isn’t.

Lance was 3x the prospect Willis is. I just don’t see BH putting his job on the like for Willis at 2.

1 Like

At this point you’re just making things up.

Our offensive line is one of the best in the league. We can build our defense up while he develops and built our offense around him in terms of receivers and running backs that don’t cost a lot of draft capital. If you don’t like him then that’s cool just say that.

But it seems like people are doing mental gymnastics to prove why it won’t work and using examples that don’t actually prove their point. The packers were winning because they had a hall of fame quarterback.

1 Like

I’m not saying you’re wrong but what are you basing this on?

Media speculation? The fact that the 49ers traded up for him? They both came from small schools making it really difficult to evaluate them… the lions got a birds eye view at the senior bowl so they would know better than a lot of people.

1 Like

Wow, another thread by HVS about Willis.

Regan No GIF by 1 Play Sports

1 Like

…and help from the officials. :wink:

1 Like

Lance is a tough one to put in just because the book isn’t in on him yet. Who knows if it will be a good example or a bad one?

Let’s also remember that trading down a smidge from 2 would also yield some nice cap savings, a possible future pick, and possibly even the same guy we wanted due to no clear cut tiers.

1 Like

The best program Lance ever faced in College (because he only played 19 games total) was South Dakota State.

Willis played against an SEC school and some pretty good mid majors…

Its just one data point, but I think Willis will adapt to the speed and complexity of thr NFL faster and better than Lance.

1 Like

I’m sceptical they’ll go Willis - but it arguably is the bold move.

People rightly say that the Lions are not ready yet. However I’d argue the offense is certainly solid and Willis could sit behind Goff for a year and spend the other picks on defense. With a comparatively easier schedule next year I’m confident they would still improve their record.

Taking Willis does allow the Lions to catapult into the 2023 season by trading Goff, freeing up cap space and then dedicating their final picks from the Stafford trade into other pieces of the team rather than having to reach for a QB. If it doesn’t work out you’ve only burnt one draft pick which when spent on a QB at #2 is cheap compared to what the 49ers gave up for Trey Lance - who some commentators had as a lesser prospect than Willis.

As I say, I’m not sure I’d do it, but it’s difficult to argue that it’s not the best way to free up resources. And Willis does have elite tools. They could think that the small improvements that are being made are not going to get the job done. It would at least be exciting.

2 Likes

The quickest way to turn this team around is to hit on a rookie QB THIS year. I completely understand people’s view point that next years class should be better and there is nobody worth taking this year. That certainly may be the case and the Lions will make that determination.

The facts are a good QB on a rookie contract can open so many possibilities.

You can free up over 20mil in space by trading Goff in 2023. You may also be able to get a solid haul for him if he goes out and has a solid year this year which I see as likely with the supporting cast he has.

Draft Willis, an edge player at 32 (maybe Ojabo slips?), Lewis Cine, Troy Anderson, and David Bell this year.

Trade Goff for a 1st and two 2nds next year after he shows he can be a Kirk Cousins level QB. He would have some serious interest if a team like Indy still needs a guy and he would only cost a little over 20mil for 2023, and 2024 which is very cheap.

Gives you extra cap, three firsts and two seconds in 2023 as well as extra capital in 2024. Plenty of picks to add talent and with the savings we can add a couple more pieces or extend some of our own.

IMO, this is how you set yourself up for long term success. The question is, do the Lions staff believe that Willis is that guy? Only time will tell.

1 Like

I’m not sure what you are responding too here?
I was saying if you draft Willis you start him immediately no benefit to sitting him. I was told to look at Rodgers and Mahomes, to which I responded it was a totally different situation in Detroit than KC or GB. Those were winning teams where Detroit isn’t and if you draft Willis (any QB) you start him day one.

Not exactly sure what I am making up.