Favorite horror/sci-fi movies!

The House of The Devil is pretty good for a super low budget horror film. A 2009 tribute to early 70s/late 80s horror films (the non slasher stuff)

2 Likes

Don’t Worry Darling has some Clockwork Orange meets Stepford Wives if that appeals to anyone. It’s also on HBO Max.

Lastly, The Menu is fantastic IMO. Not a horror movie. I guess it would be a dark comedy. Also on HBO Max.

2 Likes

Netlfix’s series Dark is more sci-fi than horror but I thought it was good.

And the Japanese movie Battle Royale.

Love most of the Quentin Tarantino movies.

2 Likes

gremlins GIF

Don’t feed em after midnight!

2 Likes

Definitely need to see the Howling!

Pet sematary is a tough one for me… scared the hell out of me as a young kid… watched it again as an adult and found it kinda funny in some ways because it was kind of dated, but the main theme of losing a child is a really tough one for me. I find that movie to be very unsettling in that way. The book bothered me in that same way. Just the overall theme was really tough to watch and while I like the movie it’s not one I really want to watch again.

2 Likes

Nice… love the old hammer horror and Vincent price stuff too! Still need to see the new haunting of hill house and midnight mass… will definitely check them out

1 Like

I have not seen it but I’ve heard the Lighthouse is quite good.

I have not seen Anti-Christ but I’m sure it’s ph’kd bc Lars Von Trier going to Lars Von Trier.

Not a traditional Horror or Sci-Fin film but the original Hellboy is fun as hell.

Oh, lastly, Delicatessen. It’s in French but it’s when Jeunet and Caro were still making movies together. Terrific film.

2 Likes

I liked Delicatessen. But then I’m not normal.

2 Likes

Weirdest horror movie I’ve ever seen…

1 Like

“The Lighthouse” is a good film. It took a bit for it to sink in.

Lars is extremely hit and miss. He is a twisted lad, but when he hits…

“Delicatessen” is as twisty as “Happiness”, minus the pedophilia of course.

1 Like

I totally don’t get The Lighthouse. It was not good.

1 Like

I like Alien and Aliens is still my favorite sci-fi movie.

2 Likes

Oh yeah. Top 3 for me. THAT WAS NOT OK.

Pet Sematery

It.

Theres so much more…American Werewolf, Creepshow, The Thing, its really hard to rank them.

Return of the Night of the Living Dead.

Army of Darkness/Evil Dead trilogy + the Starz series.

evil dead horror GIF

Neither of those are actuall horror but horror comedy and fantastic.

Pandorum is underrated.

Oh, and The Mist? That is a ■■■■■■ up ending, even for Steven King.

3 Likes

They Live
Roddy Piper Bubblegum GIF - Roddy Piper Bubblegum Kick Ass ...

2 Likes

OMG yes.

The kid in that just died literally a few weeks ago. Btw they are coming out with a remake in April.

1 Like

Even after 50 years, it’s hard for me to get away from the Exorcist as the scariest horror movie of all time. I did like the original Halloween and Friday the 13th. Also thought Paranormal Activity was well-made. 30 Days of Night was the best Vampire movie I’ve seen and I really like the story of Stephen King’s Storm of the Century. I liked the Mist too.

Jaws probably changed people’s behavior the most. I had teenage friends who refused to swim in my pool at night after Jaws.

2 Likes

Watched Dead Again last night, it was good I enjoyed it! Thank you for the recommendation.

Next up will be Let the right one in (thank you @BitterSyd), and then I’ll start working through the rest.

One that hasn’t come up is The Omen, that is a classic horror movie. I don’t remember if I’ve seen the second and third one, or if I saw the 2006 remake, but will eventually do an Omen marathon in the future now that football season is over

1 Like

Not sure if Shaun of The Dead counts but that flick is top notch

3 Likes

In a pool!? lol I always thought Jaws was more of a comedy myself.

1 Like