Favorite "Never Was" Lions Player

Aaron Gibson

I think you nailed it.

Brandon Powell? @BigNatty

1 Like

Thanks, men. Best preseason player in the history of the NFL. LOL.

2 Likes

That’s a good one.

True. My point was he did nothing in Detroit, making him a never was. I could be wrong, but I think he was only here 1 year?

Before there was David Kircus, there was … Jeff Chadwick.

Anybody else remember him? White WR from Divine Child and Grand Valley St. in the 1980s?

Allllmost got to 1,000 yards receiving in 1986. Made it to 995.

Carved out an 11-year career in the NFL, most of it with Detroit. Yet never seemed to be beyond adequate.

2 Likes

He got hurt in preseason and missed his rookie year. Not sure how many years he was here after that.

My brain decided to roll-a-dex this memory back into existence today. Why this run? Why today? Don’t know…don’t care. It’s Jahvid…

Enjoy

1 Like

Avion Cason is forever.

2 Likes

Did I really just google search for Slip Watkins? Sure did!
Thanks @TCLion!

Slip Watkins

“Arguably the fastest man in LSU history”

Drafted by Detroit - 11th round (285th overall) 1991

1 Like

Joey, always Joey.

Maybe he never had it, but I was fairly close to the team/franchise around that time, and ‘toxic’ doesn’t begin to describe the environment. No single player ever had a chance in that era. Least of all a QB.

5 Likes

Mike McMahon. I wanted him to be the guy for us. That’s when I learned that raw tools weren’t everything. Cause he had them.

3 Likes

Well, he likes Dan. Here’s his last tweet …

https://mobile.twitter.com/michaelemcmahon/status/1467826243961827330

5 Likes

Hairy Smeagol

4 Likes

I’m going to go wayyy back and say Chuck Long. He was so damn good at Iowa. I was young when they drafted him, and don’t remember much but being really excited. I thought we were going to be really good because he was so good in college. People forget he almost beat Bo Jackson for the Heisman and he torched Texas for like six TDs in a bowl game. I don’t know what happened to him in Detroit, but I’m willing to bet the Lions screwed him up somehow.

Long before Joey Blue Skies and Andre Ware, I was convinced Chuck Long was going to be the answer at QB for the Lions. He looked so good his final season at Iowa.

3 Likes

I see why Gym Short’s Schwartz was…ummm…

1 Like

YUPONG

Reggie brown for me.

2 Likes

Excellent answer!

1 Like