First rounder you DON'T want

He was waddling in the championship game, for sure.

He very well could be fine. He very well could be Tyreek Hill 2.0. But if I’m GM/HC i’m not making my 1st ever pick (and top 10 to boot) a guy coming off major injury who wasn’t even the #1 on his own team.

He didn’t have the receiving production in college but we are going to bet our #7 OA selection in the NFL draft that he can be that in the pro’s…coming off a major injury where we don’t even know if he will be the same player that he was in college.

I hope Holmes is smarter than that. From what I have seen he absolutely is.

I’d argue that before he got hurt, he was their #1. Look at the numbers. It wasn’t until he got hurt that Smith blew up.

The numbers say that he was the number one last year with Jeudy, Ruggs, and Waddle. He outproduced all of those guys.

1 Like

Same. I don’t want fields. He just screams bust to me. Dwayne Haskins 2.0

Lance is raw but I’d be ok with the pick if he has the drive to be great. He can sit and learn behind Goff while we build up the roster.

2 Likes

I am being dead serious when I say this, so take it in that light. Lance is going to learn how to throw accurate passes sitting behind Goff?

If someone can fix his accuracy issues, I think they have a winner on their hands. To me the kid has damn near everything else you want in a guy who needs some development. It wasn’t lost on me how much faster he ran his pro day vs the other top guys. That wasn’t easy. It was really tiring but he showed that he’s got the stamina to not “Donovan McNabb” you on a key drive in a Super Bowl.

When I look at Mac, Lance and Fields.

I see all 3 as having concerns and they all have areas they need to improve on for sure.

With Mac I think he’s the most ready of the 3. I think he has the higher floor but also has the lowest ceiling. However in the right system he could be a Drew Brees type. He has that kind of potential if he lands in the right situation. I think his game will translate well and I love his demeanor. Did you see the story where he talked trash with Saban?

https://twitter.com/wingoz/status/1375814801713209347?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1375814801713209347|twgr^|twcon^s1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fd-8595137557045522.ampproject.net%2F2103240330002%2Fframe.html

Lance and Fields for me the sky is the limit. They have the potential to be all world but they both have plenty of areas to work on. I think Fields is more polished than Lance so I give the nudge to Fields just slightly. But they are both more boom or bust than Mac in my opinion. They have a lower floor but they have a sky’s the limit ceiling. I hope these kids land in a good situation where they can sit a year and clean up their game before being forced into action.

This QB class has the potential to be one of the NFL all time bests or it could be a major flop. It’s that kind of class.

It wouldn’t shock me if QB’s go 1-4 and CAR is forced to trade up to get Lance who likely goes 5th.

I think Mac, Lance any Fields could easily be flip flopped around. I’m sure some teams have each one of them ahead of the others.

It will be interesting to revisit this post draft after we see where they land and again 5 years from now.

Question for you @wesleysh21

Since Lance and Wentz came from the same school. Let’s compare them … I see the same problems throwing when under pressure or when on the move. I have to wonder if this is coaching. I see a lot of the same areas of need to work on.

My question … if both Lance and Wentz were in the same draft who would you like more?

Me personally I like Lance more. I like his poise better. I like the speed at which he processes and how quick he is in his decision making. That was always a concern of mine with Wentz and I still see that in him today. Personally I think Lance’s game translates better than Wentz. So my expectations are that he can be a far better pro than Wentz will be. Your thoughts?

With Lance I see a talented kid who is a thrower, not a passer. And ultimately I expect that to be his downfall. Throwers can shine for a brief period (see #7 in SF) but ultimately his shortcomings will come screaming to the surface. I think Wentz is a better all around prospect.

Try using another phrase…It’s getting repetitive in much of your comments.

That is more of a media narrative. In reality Smith had 38 catches in those 4 full games Waddle played while Waddle had 25 catches. The TDs were the same, and Waddle had more yards because he was more of the big play guy. If all you did was take Smith’s numbers from the 4 games with Waddle and extrapolated them out…he would still have led the nation in receptions and yards (by a significant margin) and he would have been #2 in TDs instead of #1.

Its crazy to think about. People talk about FOMO (fear of missing out) and the player I “fear” missing out on if he becomes what he’s capable of becoming is Devonte Smith. If we pass on him and he becomes a stud there will be a bigger regret factor for me than any other player. Even the QBs.

1 Like

Trevor Lawrence had a solid college career and put up numbers that would have made him a top draft pick in any year. The other 4 are probably going to take their participation trophies to the pros and get a lot of people fired. Zach Wilson’s best year was the covid year when they played nobody. Trey Lance hasn’t played for a year and when he did play he had almost as many rushing attempts as completions. That might work playing NDSU’s schedule, but will probably get him killed in the NFL. Mac Jones had a great covid year on a stacked team, but is he going to be better than Tagovailoa? Is being better than Tagovailoa enough? As for Justin Fields, I just hate OSU so I don’t know much about him, but his stats are weak and I can’t see why he would be the exception to the rule that that OSU QBs suck in the NFL. So basically you have three guys that come from programs that win no matter who they have at QB, and Zach Wilson whose numbers weren’t great against crap opponents.

helena bonham carter what GIF

2 Likes

Discounting his Georgia stats which were not good, he had more games at OSU where he threw for less than 200 than for over 300 and his best was 385. Sure he ran a lot which means in the NFL you better have a solid backup QB. If he couldn’t accidently throw for more yards on a stacked college team and he is drafted top 4, what is he going to do on a crappy NFL team? So yes, Helena Bonham Carter aside, his stats are weak.

Did you even bother looking back to see the context of most of those games? He’s getting pulled because they are up 30+ points. The guy still threw for 41 TDs to only 3 INTs in part time work.

2 Likes

Ohio State was blowing out teams for most of those games:

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

·

Apr 6

Najee Harris on teammate Jaylen Waddle: “He’s small but he’s dynamic. He’s explosive. Really really explosive. Closest thing to Tyreek Hill. You gotta see him in person, how he plays how he gets in and out of cuts, how he stops and goes 60 right away.”

Fast Reciever: Exists

Analysts and Scouts: “This kid is the next Tyreek Hill!!!”

1 Like

If a fast receiver walks like a duck and sounds like a duck …

One interesting tidbit I discovered checking out who John Dorsey has had a hand in drafting: Dorsey was the GM for the Chiefs when they drafted Tyreek Hill.

1 Like