Game Used

My buddy has a Gretzky OPC, and. 86 Jordan and a nice Nolan Ryan rookie…ungraded bit in good shape and centered…likely grade at 8 each.

OPC used wires to cut their card sheets with…the edges are always trashed and that’s why the Gretzky PSA10 grade goes for that amount…there are just 2 of them in existence.

2 Likes

Oh no way, I didn’t know that…

Even an off center cut one I’m sure still fetches a pretty penny… it’s crazy how much sports cards has changed from the 70s/80s to now.

I remember getting cards at the gas station and the smell of the stale gum I would still eat all over the cards…

3 Likes

I have a cardboard box full of old cards…have like 6 Ricky Henderson rookie cards. But they are from when I was a kid so it’s not like they are mint.

2 Likes

My buddies younger brother was a huge Jordan fan when we were growing-up, his mom bought him his rookie card probably a few years into his career (before the faked ones were being made). It was framed and mint, I asked him if he still had it a few years ago and he said someone stole it off his wall during a party.

I would have been sick to my stomach.

3 Likes

Oh my goodness that is awful…. I would be pissed and sick to my stomach.

People can really suck.

1 Like

It really feels like he’s got that potential

1 Like

Well shit, I thought I remembered being 89’s but they are 90’s.
They worth anything?

1 Like

Im Not Maya Rudolph GIF by Saturday Night Live

Nope. Those are complete sets. I thought you were talking 1989 box of unopened packs…

1 Like

caddyshack-golf

2 Likes

Hopefully we can draft his brother Noah in the 23 draft, he’s a tackling machine.

Everyone talks about Thibs, I think Sewell was more impactful in the Oregon games I saw than Thibs was and he was only a sophomore.

Noah had 114 combined tackles, 4 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, an int, and 5 passes defended and still has one or 2 more years of college. Most likely coming out as a junior. Might want to get some of his game worn gloves asap.

2 Likes

That is still really cool!!! Would love to see those cards and the players and all that.

Regardless of retail value, there was something very special about collecting cards back in the day.

At one point I could’ve told you Sergei Fedorov’s stats for every year he was in the nhl and his Russian stats!

Same with Cecil fielder!

2 Likes

My best sports card story …

I used to collect quite a bit in the '90s – when they made so many cards, they’re all worthless.

Then just here and there after that, and finally not at all. Turns out the last year I was acquiring stuff was 2011.

Fast forward about 7-8 years. I’m in the storage room, see the old albums I collected cards in, and start flipping through the pages for nostalgia’s sake. I see one that I 100% forgot I had – it probably didn’t mean much to me at the time; I just pulled it out of a pack and put it in the card album sleeve.

2011 Topps Update Mike Trout rookie card. His most sought-after rookie card.

I knew enough to get it authenticated and graded to get extra value. Beckett Grading Service returns it with a Gem Mint rating, 9.5 out of 10. (That’s generally as high as they go, true 10s are SO rare.)

Until Trout got hurt, that card was worth $3,000. Now it’s in the $1,500 range, but I’m guessing it will go back up in value once he comes back next season true to form.

Oh, I also pulled this out of a pack back in 2007. :hushed:

Also now graded, also 9.5 Gem Mint. There are zero cards rated higher at Beckett.

I have no idea what it’s worth – I recently tried to sell it for $10,000. No takers. But I’m not moving it for just a grand or two. I’ll wait patiently and just keep holding onto it.

7 Likes

Dude what set of cards did you get the Bruce lee card from??? That’s awesome!

Might be worth as much as a Jack Fox Rookie card

3 Likes

Haha I dunno, that seems like a very unique card… and the patch in the middle, is that taken from some Bruce lee pants or something?

Super cool card.

The card industry kinda lost me when it started doing a lot of the game used stuff, like putting patches of jerseys or sticks or whatever inside a card… it was cool but it just became kinda too much to me… though I was getting older and not as interested anymore… although I think I have a Troy aikman game used jersey card autographed… somewhere…

Regardless, point being the card world totally changed from buying a $.25 pack of cards at the gas station to now spending $5-10-100 a pack of cards for what potentially is inside…

In the words of tears for fears… it’s a mad world!

2 Likes

Allen and Ginter from Topps. It’s baseball but then random athletes from other sports and pop culture icons.

From one of his “gi,” (kung-fu outfits)

1 Like

Very cool! Didn’t know they did that.

Those are nice finds. Gem mint 10s were everywhere in the 90s lol.

1 Like

We in the industry prefer they be called “Karate Pajamas!”

…Please and thank you!

1 Like

I was assuming it referred to Wease’s adult entertainment preferences. I mean, he did say they were the box guys. :grin:

2 Likes