Goff a talent driven not a scheme driven QB

Me either… it was an exaggeration, so as not to include anyone.

1 Like

Ummm.

He wouldn’t have won a playoff game without 238 rushing yards and 3 rushing TDs in the first game.

But he might have had he had a healthy Cooper Kupp.

2 Likes

The only jags patricia would have picked would have been ones that the patriots got rid of.

True. Good thing Gurley didn’t miss most of the year. He might not have made the playoffs.

1 Like

Gurley was a shell of himself by midway through 2018. He had like 40 yards rushing combined in their final two playoff games. So Goff was basically without the two of the foundational offensive pieces. Cooks also had several crucial drops in that SB (one that Goff admittedly hitched on the throw and was late).

Though to be fair N.O. should have been in that Super Bowl anyhow.

2 Likes

Goff threw for 4700 yards despite Kupp missing 8 games.

In the playoffs… Goff threw 106 passes, while Gurley ran only 30 times.

The Rams didn’t lead the NFL in rushing yards in 2018. They were 3rd in rushing… and the defense was 20th in scoring defense.

The Seahawks led the NFL in rushing offense, and were 11th in scoring defense.

Rams went 13-3 and Seahawks went 10-6.

Goff threw 561 passes in 2018.
In 10 years with Seattle, Wilson has never thrown as many as 561 passes. The Seahawks finished in top 11 rushing offense in 8 of those 10 years.

I have never heard much talk about Russell Wilson “needing” a top rushing offense to win.

5 Likes

Didn’t they make the playoffs after Gurley was gone?

3 Likes

Regardless, they were 3rd in rushing yards and 2nd in rushing TDs. Gurley was an All Pro.

Yes, then they won the Super Bowl after Goff was gone.

1 Like

Early in Wilson’s career some argued he needed Lynch to win. I was a big fan of Wilson in college and argued on Darkos old Lions board that he would be better than Stafford (not a popular opinion)

1 Like

False. They were 7-1 and 7-2 when they acquired Miller and OBJ, respectively. They were doing just fine. And OBJ’s impact wasn’t felt until near the end of the season, and his role only increased because they lost the best No. 2 in the league — Robert Woods — week 9. Miller wasn’t right health wise until near the end of the season, too.

They certainly played a role in the playoff push but that also coincided with Stafford and Kupp being historically dominant offensively.

1 Like

I think this is accurate
They think Goff can be the franchise QB and they want him to solidify his status as the Lions franchise QB this year —- and they’re telling him the same thing,

They’ve never said the word “bridge” — only sports talking heads and fans have used that word.

Obviously if he bombs they will look for a replacement, but that applies to any NFL QB.

So, no, they are focused ONLY on Goff becoming the man. And they will do everything they can to help him become the man. Again, it’s the only sane thing to do if you are those guys.

Among themselves they may say — financially, we have to keep him for at least two seasons anyway — so let’s do everything we can to fix him. If we succeed, we get our franchise QB, if we fail we move on. But nobody heard that … ever.

To everyone, it’s all about Goff.

there’s only one big dan, bro!

I find it hilarious that people still try to discredit Matt’s importance to the title…and even more funny that some think Goff is a better player (especially at this given moment in time).
Not being at all facetious at all…literally laughing about it.
Just my opinion, but it’s crazy to me.

if we got a QB UPGRADE, 2 firsts, and a third for our guy…WHOA!!!

I understand that all ppl can grow, and I expect Goff to. Also, to say that he is better than Matt in this moment in time is comical to me.

*just an opinion and nothing to fight over and/or lose sleep over.

Further, this conversation could be switched to “Why stats dont matter as much as we think they do”
or
“Stats are “facts”.”

If there’s a grammar nazi out there that would help me out, I truly am curious as to how to correctly punctuate that last sentence in the paragraph above.

1 Like

haha. thanks for the catch. I edited that post

The Rams lost 3 straight games while Von was getting healthy and OBJ built up a rapport with Stafford.

They did lose Woods.

The only thing that turned the offense back around was the addition of OBJ… who scored 5 TDs in a 6 game stretch.

Von had 5 sacks in the last 4 games of season… which included 3 wins by 10 points or less and a total margin of only 18 points. Then he wrecked the playoffs with 4 sacks and 11 pressuresin 4 games.
Leonard Floyd had only 4 sacks and fewer pressures (19) in the final 12 games after Von started playing…

OBJ scored in 2 of those 3 close wins.
Van Jefferson disappeared in the last 4 games (3 close wins) and the playoffs…. averaging under 30 yards per game and ZERO TDs in his last 8 games.

As soon as OBJ went out of Super Bowl… Rams offense struggled.

The impact that OBJ and Von made on the Rams in final key stretch of the regular season and ALL of the playoffs can’t be overlooked…. and getting 2 pro-bowl caliber players mid-season for cheap… with unusual transactions that include 1 team releasing one and another team eating $9 million of salary… is pretty much unprecedented for a Super Bowl contender.

1 Like

I’m not marginalizing Stafford’s role… he was the MVP of the Rams.

It just is another good example of how even having an all-pro QB isn’t enough to win a Super Bowl. The Rams had a key injury at WR that possibly would have derailed their hopes… but landing OBJ in an unusual manner was a huge factor to their Super Bowl run. Von Miller was an unusual transaction also… and he had a HUGE impact in final month of regular season and all of the playoffs.

2 Likes

Lots of chaos at WR, some at RB too, though Mischel did a good job.
Jackson wanted out due to not enough touches.
OBJ comes in, but doesn’t know the offense and is pretty much playing gym class style ball out there…and Stafford was the key to that success as much as, if not more, to be able to adapt to that situation.
Jefferson stepped up nicely in moments.
Stafford overcame four fumbles by teammates (insane). No chance they win that game w/o Matt either.

I just view Matt as the single biggest driver.
I feel like Ramsey’s play is showing signs of falling off a bit too.

Ramsey and Donald need to hold up if they’re gonna have a shot at a deep playoff run again. This schedule that the rams have is one of the most brutal I’ve ever seen too, so they may not look as good in the regular season. They’re basically playing 12 playoff teams in the regular season this year.

Will be fun to watch. If the Rams do anything this year, it’s highly earned.

2 Likes

big-dan

3 Likes