Good Job Bob

Yeah, but, we won the draft…

1 Like

We’ll see. The best part of our time is still Stafford, which BQ has nothing to do with. I’m not going to heap praise on him for a good draft when we have the third pick in every round!!

My favorite thing BQ has done this year is no massive overpays for free agents. The Big V contract is too high, but it seems more like a “Detroit Lions Tax” premium than a Rick Wagner style overpay.

1 Like

I like the whole class.
Collins, of course, is the prize.
Desmond Trufant as a clear upgrade to Melvin may be the single-largest improvement on the team.
Landing Duron Harmon to add both veteran leadership AND playing ability (greater that Tavon Wilson’s) is also going to prove to be a very, very good addition, IMO.
Shelton’s signing only appears less impactful simply because of its predictability, IMO. He’s still a good get.
Williams was out of left field. Not a prize, but we’ll just have to see how it works out.
Vaitai was also out of left field. He’s another question mark (like Williams) but with much greater implications.
Chase Daniel provides a bit of stability and support in the backup QB position (plus is well-versed in WCO terminology).
Geronimo Allison, Geremy Davis, Tony McRae and Jayron Kearse all present immediate, massive competition for Special Teams.

This off-season was transformational, IMO.

1 Like

Taken as a whole we greatly improved in the two areas which most cost us games last year: pass defense and running the football.

In the very least I like the plan of attack.

Trufant has declined significantly the last few years and the other guys are deck chair shufflers IMO.
Collins is the one player I see as a significant upgrade on his replacement mainly because of his coverage ability. Perhaps Trufant if he recovers some of that old magic.

The draft picks will mainly determine how much improvement is made. Okudah, Swift and Jackson are going to be tasked with a heavy workload. If they aren’t up to the task, it’s going to be tough for the Lions to do anything meaningful.

How is our pass defense better, if I may ask? I mean, last year at this time vs now.

Really? I think it’s fairly evident. Let me count the ways:

1:) Harmon is by far a better center fielder than anything we had last year
2:) Walker is able to slide into the Strong Safety role and we get world’s better in coverage at that spot.
3:) I’m huge on Okudah and don’t think Slay played well at all last year. I know some think I’m crazy but I actually expect that change to be a net positive. If it’s a drop off at all it’s quite finite IMO. Okudah is really, really good and he’s quite refined. Perhaps I’m too bullish on him but I’m all in on Okudah
4:) Trufant is a massive upgrade over Melvin
5:) AO and Harris should take second year leaps. AO in particular. Harris could be a bust of course. I’m pretty high on AO though
6:) Coleman is probably in between his outstanding play In the first four weeks and his subpar play thereafter
7:) Okwara and Collins add a wrinkle to the pass rush that we have not had
8:) as does Hand on the interior if healthy
8:) Collins affords us supreme coverage skills on the second level when we use him that way

2 Likes

Our defence is better in that snacks and ashawn were trash last year. hand and danials were hurt all last year. Im a big diggs fan but couldn’t stay healthy. Harmon big up grade. Collins big upgrade . not sure on williams but cant be worse then ashawn last year. Also the cb from jets nice back up. Im a big believer in trufant being a up grade over number 2 corner last yr. Okudah is NOT better then slay but i do believe he will play better then slay did last yr. Also the rookie lb should provide better rush and ragland provides depth and a mlb presence.

Forgot about Williams. If we get his pass rushing production from ‘19 that would be a big boost. Not holding my breath on that one though.

Could be, but there are a lot of big swings and targeted areas here.

And we keep forgetting the new DC.
He’s working MPs scheme but you know there will be changes as well.

I truly feel - as with Bevell - this the most important change. I just don’t know how he will do… anything close to Bevells first yr here and it’s a win imho

One paper!!! That’s why they play the games.

You are right the Lions are paper champions. Winning during actual games remain to be seen

Not just talking about on paper. Look around the locker room. All high character guys. No distractions. This is now Patricia’s team. I’m excited to have a locker room that is behind our HC and not trying to undermine him.

1 Like

They don’t call us the Paper Lions for no reason! :rofl:

1 Like

“On paper” Quinn has done a good job this off season and has our locker room full of the type of players I want here. Even the haters can admit the Lions look good on paper. Like the title of the thread says Good Job Bob.

So if they end up being 5-11 then what? Will there be more excuses of why the team didn’t live up to exceptions? Will you still defend Patricia? Ultimately, it comes downs to wins and losses. Every team has malcontents but the great coaches no how to handle them and include them. Andy Reid has always been known to bring in malcontents.

I’m not defending Patricia at all. I’m not a fan of his coaching style at all. I’m not a fan of losing some of our better players because our HC has to be a asshat. All I’m saying is Quinn has put us in a good position this year with what he has done. He’s put his HC in a position to be successful. I’m a fan of high character players. I’m a fan of having a unified team with both the coaches and players. The only positive I can say about Patricia is this coaching style has worked in other places.

2 Likes

If the Lions aren’t playing meaningful games in December than this regime has to go. 5-11? Hell no!

I agree his style has work but he is not Bill Belicheck. Coach Belicheck’s assistants have been failures in the NFL as HCs. Tony Dungy, Andy Reid’s style has worked. I just believe had Caldwell been given enough time; he would have succeeded here. I don’t believe Matt Patricia will be successful here imo

100% Agree